Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 19, 2014, 07:01:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quad City Downs Trivia  (Read 12961 times)
looking in

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2008, 07:10:03 PM »

Tonight I was Flipping through stations on the radio.and I heard The Polka Shotsie. Does anyone know what QCD owner, trainer, and driver recorded that song.
 The gentleman is now in the Polka Hall of Fame.
He lived in a tack room with his much younger wife and young son. The last I heard maybe ten years ago the son was a vice president of a Wells Fargo Bank in Cal.
Report to moderator   Logged

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Dleestable

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 07:12:56 PM »

Looking In,

Wow good question.  I never knew anyone at the Quad who could sing, let alone record a record.  Polka?  It had to be someone who was a regular at Miss Kittys, no one sober sings Polka songs.   Grin
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 07:24:15 PM »

Looking In,

Wow good question.  I never knew anyone at the Quad who could sing, let alone record a record.  Polka?  It had to be someone who was a regular at Miss Kittys, no one sober sings Polka songs.   Grin
The gentleman didn't sing. The polka band went under his name and he played the music and his sister Blondy did the singing.
The gentleman was much to cheap to party at Miss Kittys.
The son is about the same age as Brad Moffit.

As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Dleestable

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 07:42:26 PM »

NO...it wasn't the Colonel was it?  I bet he could get in to a good polka. 
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 07:50:57 PM »

NO...it wasn't the Colonel was it?  I bet he could get in to a good polka. 
Not the colonel, but Col. Bob could get to singing on the auctioneers stand.

looking in

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 07:58:15 PM »

Donna;
Ask Brad what kid he hit on top of the head with a pool que in the kitchen at QCD.

Dleestable

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 08:05:45 PM »

I will ask him tomorrow.  There might be more than one answer to that question though.   Grin
NIATROSS

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 08:47:21 PM »

I was at QCD once in my life,Bet GEORGE CONLEY on some 2 yo came up from Springfield.I had 10% of the win pool  Grin Grin
the one time in my life I changed the odds.Yes the horse did win. thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
dempster

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 11:43:28 PM »

Bernie Roberts
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »

Bernie Roberts
Mr. Dempster;
You are 100% correct.
Your first post and a winning selection,Want to try for the pick four?

Who was the  kid that showed up  with the long blond hair ,red and white colors ,and would spit sunflower seeds all over the place. Now several thousand wins later you would not think he ever had long hair.

Who was the guy from Ohio that  when he won he would twirl his whip and then in a big gesture tuck it under his arm. Like a western gunslinger putting his gun back in the holster. His horses raced under the ownership name of Faine Country. I haven't seen or heard of him in 30 or so years.

Who was Bernard Feibach. If you don't know and I tell you you will say "Oh I should have guessed that.

Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 01:03:15 PM »

I'll bet the young blonde was Dave Magee. As for the others, not sure, but the last name is a likely groom who was a character and everyone knew him as....?

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
NiatrossJumps

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 01:08:58 PM »

Who was the guy from Ohio that  when he won he would twirl his whip and then in a big gesture tuck it under his arm. Like a western gunslinger putting his gun back in the holster. His horses raced under the ownership name of Faine Country. I haven't seen or heard of him in 30 or so years    ...this wasn't Dick Kurtzworth was it???
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 05:39:57 PM »

Dave Magee is correct.
I haven't seen or heard of Kurtzworth in a long time, but he is not the man I was Thinking of.

Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 05:58:30 PM »

Kurtzworth passed not long after QCD closed, within 2 years.

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
balmoral buddy

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 07:33:35 PM »

I was at QCD once in my life,Bet GEORGE CONLEY on some 2 yo came up from Springfield.I had 10% of the win pool  Grin Grin
the one time in my life I changed the odds.Yes the horse did win. thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

I once had 100% of the show pool at Aurora Downs - a whole $2
dempster

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 07:40:26 PM »

I seem to remember the boy wearing suspenders like his dad.

2. Sounds like Dave Magee indeed.

3. Jack Faine?

4. Give up.
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 08:21:25 PM »

I seem to remember the boy wearing suspenders like his dad.

2. Sounds like Dave Magee indeed.

3. Jack Faine?

4. Give up.
High water pants and suspenders for sure.

Yes Jack Faine and Idaho Fashion.

A hint on #4
Bernie Feibach didn't think his name would sell.

dempster

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 08:46:17 PM »

OK, I got itnow. Usually you would think that polka would sell better with a german name.

Did some googling and come up with this http://www.polkamart.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/Bernie_Roberts.html

The name on the page is spelled Feilbach.

Do you remember trackman Earl with narcolepsy?
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 09:06:07 PM »

OK, I got itnow. Usually you would think that polka would sell better with a german name.

Did some googling and come up with this http://www.polkamart.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/Bernie_Roberts.html

The name on the page is spelled Feilbach.

Do you remember trackman Earl with narcolepsy?
Sure do remember Earl.
Thanks for putting up that goog.
I sure did murder the spelling of Schatzie in my first post.
Give me your best trivia question ,and we will see how I do with answers[wild guesses]

trottinman60

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 02:50:35 AM »

Sure do remember Earl.
Thanks for putting up that goog.
I sure did murder the spelling of Schatzie in my first post.
Give me your best trivia question ,and we will see how I do with answers[wild guesses]
Who was the driver in the early 90's who almost drove into an ambulance at QCD?
Dleestable

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 05:56:15 AM »

Drew Johnson and he did hit the ambulance.  That was my horse the ambulance was parked in front of. Do you remember the horses name and the driver?

Wasn't the old track man at the Quad Earl Stevens?  He used to feed all the geese in the infield and not so sure he didn't eat a couple.
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 06:18:40 AM »

Wasn't the old track man at the Quad Earl Stevens?  He used to feed all the geese in the infield and not so sure he didn't eat a couple.

Hey Donna,
                  The following from the May 2, 1956 Harness Horse and Illinois items.
You think it's the same Earl Stevens?

Earl Stevens, owner of nearby Red Rose Farm, and his brother Roy are training their own stable at the Jerseyville oval as well as several head for other owners. Earl's handsome bay colt, Earl L. Wilmington, a Wilmington-Misty Moon three-year-old, has worked easily in 2:30.

This youngster is a big pacer, stands close to 17 hands, and is staked at both Spring-field and Du Quoin. Another three-year-old pacer in the stable, Dr. Biggs, was sold recently to the Rose Lawn Stables at Alton, Ill., where he will be used as a show horse.

Roy Stevens is prepping his good pacer, Greenbrier p, 3, 2:094/5h, winner of close to $10,000, in 2:22, and his three-year-old Way Yonder-You Guy trotter, Some Guy, in 2:25. Both are being pointed toward a summer campaign in Michigan and will ship out some time in May.

The Stevens brothers have joined forces in the schooling of Tom Crotchett's yearling, Track Man, and the colt has worked promisingly during his first few sessions in hopples.

Regards Don
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 11:28:42 AM »

Drew Johnson and he did hit the ambulance.  That was my horse the ambulance was parked in front of. Do you remember the horses name and the driver?

I will make a guess of Scott Robins.
I think he would have been your kind of[cleancut good looking] guy.

looking in

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 11:52:04 AM »

In later years Roy[tug] Stevens was a prominent figure at Springfield fairgrounds and Earl  the same at QCD. I never put it together that they may have been brothers even though they looked somewhat  alike.

A basket full of years ago Tug was the consigner of a colt at an IL. sale.
The colt was in the ring ,and was not bringing the bid that Tug thought it should. Tug charged into the ring, grabbed the colt by the lead shank, and proceeded to haul the colt out of the ring. Tug could be heard saying "You **** people don't know what a good colt looks like"
The auctioneer said some thing like "I guess that is a no sale".

wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 11:58:20 AM »

In later years Roy[tug] Stevens was a prominent figure at Springfield fairgrounds and Earl  the same at QCD. I never put it together that they may have been brothers even though they looked somewhat  alike.

A basket full of years ago Tug was the consigner of a colt at an IL. sale.
The colt was in the ring ,and was not bringing the bid that Tug thought it should. Tug charged into the ring, grabbed the colt by the lead shank, and proceeded to haul the colt out of the ring. Tug could be heard saying "You **** people don't know what a good colt looks like"
The auctioneer said some thing like "I guess that is a no sale".

Ya think he paid the fee Wink

Regards Don
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: