Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 20, 2014, 01:59:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World's Largest Derby Party???  (Read 5898 times)
ChrissyTina

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2008, 04:03:38 PM »

I know I said I was going to go, but I decided to watch the Derby from home by myself with a beer and a box of kleenex, cuz I knew I was going to be emotional about this Derby. I did make a short appearance at the new OTB Stretch Run downtown here for lunch and too put a big bet on ET. Never been there, nice place. I think I'll definitely hit that joint again during the week.  Grin
   Glad you all thought Eddie ran a great race. I was a little nervous about checking the forum today to read everybody's critiques. I thought he rode a great race too, especially after getting thrown from the horse in the tunnel.  dude Recapturetheglory showed he belonged in the  KY derby and it wasn't some fluke he won the IL Derby.

Report to moderator   Logged

"Never let a win get to your head, or a loss to your heart."
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2008, 08:34:46 PM »

Kind of a smallish crowd today, too. Maybe it was Derby Day hangover, but usually it's more crowded on Sundays.
General Powell

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2008, 08:49:55 PM »

Definitely not a good crowd today- I got the impression that the marketing people were disappointed. Considering it was the only good weekend day in 2 weeks, I guess AP was not priority one.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »

Maybe everyone was hungover from the Beer Fest at Navy Pier on Saturday!

maroon
Horse Voice

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »

Definitely not a good crowd today- I got the impression that the marketing people were disappointed. Considering it was the only good weekend day in 2 weeks, I guess AP was not priority one.

Short fields, one turf race with 7 horses, no stakes, and only one allowance race -- not the world's best card to entice people back out after Derby day.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2008, 09:32:33 PM »

It was a chalk fest for the first 6 races, too.

Of course, when Frank Calabrese lays down a ton of money on his horses, that horse is going to be the favorite. Both of his horses in the first two races started at 1/9!
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2008, 09:42:41 PM »

Short fields, one turf race with 7 horses, no stakes, and only one allowance race -- not the world's best card to entice people back out after Derby day.

What does the quality of the card have to do with who shows up at AP on Sundays? That's family day - pony rides, stick horses, jr. jockey club, sneaking in beer in the kids' strollers or better yet in the kids' backpacks, and face painting are the attractions.

Probably mostly Derby Day hangover, and Dad came out yesterday. I remember the years Derby day was at the other tracks. The day after was always like a morgue. Everyone was tapped out from going wild trying to be able to claim "I had it!" on Saturday. Plus, it's May 4th. Family Day doesn't really get cooking until after the mothers and fathers day extravaganzas, and school gets out. Enjoy the peaceful Sundays while you can - oh wait! That was it!
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2008, 09:48:39 PM »

And dammit, I had San Saba in the Eighth! I called it, I said he was going to steal it, I said it was a really good bet.

And then, Tee Paint, the chalk, looked so damn good warming up and on the track that I didn't bet! Aaaarrrrrgggghhh. San Saba paid $13.60. That wasn't the longest shot of the day. Emmagene Schwan trained the winner of the 7th and paid $25, but still, after all those chalk winners and then to finally have a 6/1 shot and not bet it. THAT, my friends, is frustrating.
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2008, 10:02:18 PM »

It was a chalk fest for the first 6 races, too.

Of course, when Frank Calabrese lays down a ton of money on his horses, that horse is going to be the favorite. Both of his horses in the first two races started at 1/9!

So you know Frank's betting patterns now?

By the way, when the pool opened and the horse was 1/9 the win pool was maybe two grand. It doesn't take a lot of money to make a horse 1/9 when the pool is that small.
Coldfooter

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2008, 11:22:15 PM »

Enjoy the peaceful Sundays while you can - oh wait! That was it!

Terry, is it not just moms,  are you also against familys being at the track? 

Where do you think the future generation of race fans is going to come from?  I was at Hawthorne last closing Monday,  my first time in a couple of years.  I  went up to the third floor.  I'm not an actuary, but by 2018, 80% of those people will be pushing up daisys.   5 % of the rest will be too immobile to feed a fin into a self serve machine.  I think that little guy that wears the Fenwick wrestling jacket IS DEAD and he just won't admit it.  At least he smelled that way, but its no suprise as he has had that jacket on since the first time I went to Hawthorne.  Despite that last smart aleck observation,I really don't mean this as a knock on old people, I love them, but I also love horse racing and I am concerned about its well being and without some kind of future fan base, it is toast.

Yes, I am a parent, and I assure you when I take my kids to the track, I don't let them anywhere near any of the other patrons.  I don't let them  run loose, or bother anyone.  It is the modern way of parenting, a bit fearful of the herd in general, but you can't hardly blame us and if you paid close attention I think you will find most other people with kids at the track are taking the same tack.  If their mere presence at a track causes you some lack of "peace" then I think you need to have another Coors and relax a bit.   

Family day is a good thing, Saturdays are always the day for the serious races, and I would think that an experienced handicapper such as yourself would find Sunday to be a great day to come in a scoop up cash from the suburban mom's that are feeding 20s into the machines and pecking in the numbers of their childrens birthdays. 

Coldfooter

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2008, 11:25:41 PM »

sneaking in beer in the kids' strollers

I had never thought of that I'll have to give it a shot
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2008, 11:28:08 PM »

Terry, is it not just moms,  are you also against familys being at the track? 

Where did I say I was against moms or families?

I said Sunday was family day. The main attraction is that kiddie stuff. It's usually hectic. That's life. If you don't like it, don't go Sundays, or enjoy these quiet Sundays while you can. That's all. 
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2008, 11:31:04 PM »

I had never thought of that I'll have to give it a shot

The best ones are the ones that pack the beer in their kids backpacks, turning their own kids into little drug mules. The fussy force up at the gates always checks mom's and dad's bags and coolers, while the kids skate straight through.
Coldfooter

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2008, 11:47:59 PM »

Its funny you say this because when I met a couple of my single friends there on Friday, they were explaing to me their method (that will go undisclosed here) of getting their booze into the track.

I am still not sure of how I am going to use my stroller to to smuggle in beer, if I stick it underneath it can be seen through the mesh netting, and if I stick it under the kid he is liable to hand it to the guy at the gate.

You never said directly that you were against moms or kids, but the tone of your "Arlington Celebrates Mothers Day" post and above remark about peace on Sundays seemed to say to me that you felt these promotions created some type of ambiance that didn't jibe with what your idea of what is a good race track experience.  I am trying to enlighten you on why you should embrace these promotions for the good of the sport, and for the love of easy money. 

Well, not too easy, my wife and kids were all over Big Brown.

CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2008, 12:02:01 AM »

You never said directly that you were against moms or kids, but the tone of your "Arlington Celebrates Mothers Day" post

That was a comment on the fact that there was a big splashy PR announcement about something they do every single year, forever. It's only news now if they DON'T do it.

and above remark about peace on Sundays

It was directed specifically to Moon. He has a history in that regard.

seemed to say to me that you felt these promotions created some type of ambiance that didn't jibe with what your idea of what is a good race track experience.

You heard wrong.

I am trying to enlighten you on why you should embrace these promotions for the good of the sport, and for the love of easy money.

Well, not too easy, my wife and kids were all over Big Brown.

What? You let your underage kids gamble, and endanger Arlington's license?

Also, I fail to see how your wager on Big Brown might have affected any price on Sunday, live or simulcast, had I been there.
Coldfooter

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2008, 12:28:49 AM »

That was a comment on the fact that there was a big splashy PR announcement about something they do every single year, forever. It's only news now if they DON'T do it.

They run the Kentucky Derby every year, are they supposed to quit putting out press releases?

I didn't hear moon make any comments about peace on Sundays.   Don't blame that guy, he is FUNNY!

Anyway, I am not really meaning to spar with you.  I guess part of my animosity towards your comments is from the fact that you are one of a few people that tried to piss all over my excitement regarding my derby futures bet, which turned out to be the best prognostication of my horseplaying life.   I was checking out your website  from your URLS on the tomato photos, and figured out who you are. Yes, I read Ted's book, and I enjoyed it.  With your race track travel stories, you should write your own book.

If you don't, when Ted writes his next book, "I Couldn't Wait to Bet Against Him,  The Story of Big Brown", I hope he leaves you in it! 

CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2008, 01:13:59 AM »

They run the Kentucky Derby every year, are they supposed to quit putting out press releases?

The issue was not "a press release".

I didn't hear moon make any comments about peace on Sundays.

Then you haven't been here very long. You will.

Anyway, I am not really meaning to spar with you.

Anyone who's been here awhile knows I have a long history of defending families and children at the park. Just playing along with the lecture I was getting.

I guess part of my animosity towards your comments is from the fact that you are one of a few people that tried to piss all over my excitement regarding my derby futures bet, which turned out to be the best prognostication of my horseplaying life.

By reminding you there was still a month to go before the race, because anything could happen, such as happened to War Pass, and happens to many horses every year?

Congratulations, you cashed a futures bet at a nice price. And hey, I had Funny Cide at monster odds. You can king me, too.

Where did you get that 25-1, by the way? The highest payoff for him of any of the three official Churchill pools was a $15 payoff as part of "field" in pool 2, so obviously it wasn't that. Vegas? Off shore?

I was checking out your website from your URLS on the tomato photos, and figured out who you are. Yes, I read Ted's book, and I enjoyed it. With your race track travel stories, you should write your own book.

All the material is already free on the web.

If you don't, when Ted writes his next book, "I Couldn't Wait to Bet Against Him,  The Story of Big Brown", I hope he leaves you in it!

Why would he do that? I had no bet at all on yesterday's Kentucky Derby, just as I said I would not, no futures bets, and for that matter, no wager at any track. I watched on NBC, drank a far too sweet/too strong homemade mint julep, and that's about it as far as this year's Derby for me.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2008, 08:22:36 AM »

So you know Frank's betting patterns now?

By the way, when the pool opened and the horse was 1/9 the win pool was maybe two grand. It doesn't take a lot of money to make a horse 1/9 when the pool is that small.

Yeah, but it stayed 1/5 until about 10 minutes to post. Small crowd, especially early when there wasn't anyone in the place, two horses in a row that were 1/9, both FCC horses, I just made the conclusion.

Are you saying he DOESN'T lay down a lot of money on his horses?

How do you explain it?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 08:24:10 AM by Moon » Report to moderator   Logged
Coldfooter

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2008, 08:32:12 AM »

Where did you get that 25-1, by the way?

Had to go Bodog.  Normally I am against that sort of thing, but given the spacing of the pools it was the only way to bet him

I read somwhere that he was available at 125-1 immediately after that allowance race, by waiting a few days it cost me a bunch of money.  I am not complaining, but I learned a lesson.  If I see a horse put in a performance like that next year I will be going straight to the online sports books.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2008, 08:32:38 AM »

Coldfooter, what kind of NEWBIE are you? Hahahahahaha!

Keep your baby buggies outta my way!!!! It's one of my biggest beefs about Arlington! DON'T get me started!!! Too LATE! I'm STARTED!

I don't care if you bring your kids to the track, but keep them outta the way! And if you HAVE to bring a baby buggy, park it somewhere (NOT in the walking lanes!) and leave it there. You don't have to take it to the betting window. You don't have to wander around the track, looking for "what a beautiful baby" comments.

What's next? Bringing babies to a Metallica concert, because the patrons there are getting older and we don't know where the NEW Metallica fans are coming from?

maroon

/I didn't say anything about yesterday because it wasn't too bad. Only one baby buggy got in the way.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 08:35:56 AM by Moon » Report to moderator   Logged
Horse Voice

« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2008, 08:35:56 AM »

What's next? Bringing babies to a Metallica concert, because the patrons there are getting older and we don't know where the NEW Metallica fans are coming from?

It's a valid point. I used to bring my young sons to the bar with me, because I was concerned about where the next generation of alcoholics was going to come from.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »

Horse Voice, we all know that THIS is the only reason you brought your toddlers to the bar!

Horse Voice

« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2008, 09:25:21 AM »

Quite the revelation, Moon!

In my Days Of Stupor, I used to dream that I was drinking. Then I'd wake up drunk.

Now you come up with this picture, which tells what was REALLY happening. Damn kids!

"We just poured six more beers into Dad -- he'll be out for another 3 hours. Scissors fight!"
Coldfooter

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2008, 09:40:24 AM »

I still not sure how Metallica acquired that first fan base, but there is no accounting for taste.

Baby bugys?  What are those. We have a child transportation system.  

To be honest, I try very hard not to take the family to the track, usually it is me and some buddys and I am strictly business.   But I can't get my racing fix at Chuck E Cheese and my wife likes the races,so a few times a year we go as a family.   Arlington reaching out to he younger crowds and familys will help the sport in the long run.  

P.S.- If a few years from now my daughter accidentally sits on a wet seat, don't spend the afternoon following her around, ya old pervert!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 09:47:28 AM by Coldfooter » Report to moderator   Logged
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2008, 09:45:41 AM »

The truth comes out!!!

THIS is why people have baby buggies!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: