Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 05:58:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DRF handicapping championship  (Read 5719 times)
laurajean

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2006, 04:10:13 PM »

Here it is.
http://drf.com/nhc/2005/nhc.html
Report to moderator   Logged
nwaryas

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 06:33:42 PM »

Nice to see that Billy Downes is 5th in the standing.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 07:43:32 PM »

Nice to see that Billy Downes is 5th in the standing.

10th now, after the last mandatory race for today.

Hey, didn't John Frank say Billy was no kind of handicapper?

I know the Mel Moser guy who's in the Top 10, too. Don't know any of the rest.
John Frank

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 08:34:44 PM »

Have you got it wrong Clock. I've always said Jr. was a great handicapper. I said the MAVIN sucks. That being said. Billy will know be on tv. Espn features todays top 16 for there show next month on finals. And to top it off,the Mavin is running the show. We should see quite a bit of Jr. I,m expecting to see quite a bit of Sr. as he's out there too. This should be quite interesting. Anyhow,good luck Jr.
RunSuckerRun

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 09:06:24 AM »

You won't be seeing Billy Sr. on TV because they won't let guests into the contest area (read as "mosh pit").  I saw Billy Jr. on Thursday night but not on Friday.  Bombers are making the contest intersting.  As usual, I'm the king of 4th.

Hoping for better luck today.

-RSR
John Frank

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 11:15:34 AM »

Hit some bombers today. Good Luck Run Sucker Run.
laurajean

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 09:08:46 PM »

From the unofficial results it show Tom Zipp, a  contestant representing Hawthorne as number 6. 
   Grin Grin Grin Grin
RunSuckerRun

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 09:12:08 PM »

Another tough day.  The horses were there but my plays didn't line up well enough.  The Zipper was cranking today and we all pounded the winner of the 10th at SA.  I was all over the double and all the Hawthorne players had it in the contest.  That play put me in a solid middle of the pack position.  Can't complain.  I had a lot of the horses identified, I just chose the wrong ones when it came time to make a bet.

-RSR

TC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 02:38:04 AM »

Does anyone know how Joe Kristubreth fared in the contest ?  I was dead sure he'd win 1st place with his extensive knowledge of all horse racing.  He can even pick winners like Taz, Black Ruby, and Sarah Nelson at the mule races.  He's even more knowledgable at the harness races.  I don't see how he doesn't sign for at least $2 million each year in huge IRS payoffs.  He's always telling anyone who will listen that the Maven is dragging his picks down.  I heard Joe say that Jerry Bailey could never lose his last ride in a billion years.  How did that end up for the greatest jockey ever to wear the silks ?   trotter  TC
David

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 07:45:54 AM »

I don't believe that either Joe K. or the Maven were able to qualify this year, this is a contest you need to qualify in a lower tournament for and they weren't able to this year.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 10:30:16 AM »

I don't believe that either Joe K. or the Maven were able to qualify this year, this is a contest you need to qualify in a lower tournament for and they weren't able to this year.

Right. They weren't on the list of contestants. I heard that the Mave was there doing something for some TV show.

TC - Jerry Bailey got himself seriously trapped down on the rail behind some dying horses, and couldn't shake loose to run until too late. It was not a great ride by the greatest jockey ever. The whole world sure expected him to win, since he was about 2-5. Did you have that $99 winner yourself? I didn't. My friend (and John Frank's friend) Tommy got the tri by using *ALL* in the first spot over Jerry, then a couple horses in 3rd. 
Mel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 11:21:46 AM »

Right. They weren't on the list of contestants. I heard that the Mave was there doing something for some TV show.

TC - Jerry Bailey got himself seriously trapped down on the rail behind some dying horses, and couldn't shake loose to run until too late. It was not a great ride by the greatest jockey ever. The whole world sure expected him to win, since he was about 2-5. Did you have that $99 winner yourself? I didn't. My friend (and John Frank's friend) Tommy got the tri by using *ALL* in the first spot over Jerry, then a couple horses in 3rd.

I thought Bailey gave the horse an excellent ride.  Staying on the rail gave the horse the best chance to win.  If Bailey had taken the horse off the rail, he would have lost by at least 2 lengths.  The winning horse spotted Bailey's horse 3 lengths by going wide.
RunSuckerRun

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 11:25:52 AM »

Dave hosted a show for ESPN2.  They taped it now and will produce something like they do for the poker championships.  Although, I'm sure this will be much smaller in scope.

-RSR
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 12:03:12 PM »

I thought Bailey gave the horse an excellent ride.  Staying on the rail gave the horse the best chance to win.  If Bailey had taken the horse off the rail, he would have lost by at least 2 lengths.  The winning horse spotted Bailey's horse 3 lengths by going wide.

My opinion is those rail-hugging, ground-saving rides are only excellent when it's a winner, especially when you are on the best horse in the race. When the jock and horse get trapped behind other horses until halfway down the stretch and can't run, it isn't so excellent. The winning jock got a huge jump on Bailey by going wide, and built up momentum and a big lead. What difference did three lengths of lost ground make make in this case if it meant winning or not winning? Besides the $200,000 difference between 1st and 2nd purse, that is.

If some other jock had moved over and made room for Jerry to get through on the rail, we might be agreeing excellent ride today. But they didn't. It was my opinion handicapping the race that it was one where there was a lot of early speed that would probably burn itself out and die. I'm sure Jerry could see that, too, by reading the DRF like he always does in the commercials. So why ride so as to get stuck behind it? Dying speed is almost always right down on the rail.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2006, 12:08:15 PM »

RSR

How did they have Bally's set up for this contest? I've been in that racebook, and don't remember it as all that large to hold a big contest, if I'm remembering right. Five or six long semi-circular rows of carrels, and some booths or tables in back? Where did they put everyone?
RunSuckerRun

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 06:35:31 PM »

Terry pondered:
How did they have Bally's set up for this contest? I've been in that racebook, and don't remember it as all that large to hold a big contest, if I'm remembering right. Five or six long semi-circular rows of carrels, and some booths or tables in back? Where did they put everyone?

To sum up in one word:   Clusterfuck

-RSR
nwaryas

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2006, 07:07:29 PM »

John Frank is broke! That's why he didn't make it to Vegas.
John Frank

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2006, 09:26:05 PM »

Terry: You still don't get it. I'm happy for Sun Tan Tommy. But put it togeather. Do you know who moved up big time in NTRA finals on that race. Yes. Martin Wolfson SR. Who owns Florida. Martin Wolfson. And you thought that jocks were going to let Bailey win his last. That might have been,except that Martin's old man is playing in tournament. Much like that family has qualified every year like the Gallos. WHAT F##### ROTTON THEIFS. And They do this in qualifiers.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2006, 10:23:54 PM »

Terry: You still don't get it. I'm happy for Sun Tan Tommy. But put it togeather. Do you know who moved up big time in NTRA finals on that race. Yes. Martin Wolfson SR. Who owns Florida. Martin Wolfson. And you thought that jocks were going to let Bailey win his last. That might have been,except that Martin's old man is playing in tournament. Much like that family has qualified every year like the Gallos. WHAT F##### ROTTON THEIFS. And They do this in qualifiers.

Let me see if I have this right.

You say that because Martin Wolfson, Sr., (actually Steve Wolfson, Sr., brother of Martin) was playing in the NTRA tournament,

a) The race was fixed
b) Steve Wolfson, Sr., scoring well in NTRA contest was more important in the great scheme of horse racing fixes than Jerry Bailey winning his last
c) They didn't choose some little backwater race but a $500,000 race that had national attention
d) They didn't fix it with an unobtrusive 10-1 shot or anything, they went whole hog with a 45-1
e) They chose a race that was on national TV

This is what you expect us to believe?

Here's my question John Frank: Why didn't they fix one of the earlier races on the Gulfstream card, using a ... you know ... little less obvious bomb, and have Steve Wolfson, Sr., in better position earlier, so he didn't have to score on such a bomb?
TC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2006, 10:53:29 PM »

Let me see if I have this right.

You say that because Martin Wolfson, Sr., (actually Steve Wolfson, Sr., brother of Martin) was playing in the NTRA tournament,

a) The race was fixed
b) Steve Wolfson, Sr., scoring well in NTRA contest was more important in the great scheme of horse racing fixes than Jerry Bailey winning his last
c) They didn't choose some little backwater race but a $500,000 race that had national attention
d) They didn't fix it with an unobtrusive 10-1 shot or anything, they went whole hog with a 45-1
e) They chose a race that was on national TV

This is what you expect us to believe?

Here's my question John Frank: Why didn't they fix one of the earlier races on the Gulfstream card, using a ... you know ... little less obvious bomb, and have Steve Wolfson, Sr., in better position earlier, so he didn't have to score on such a bomb?
...because Doubting Thomases such as yourself would be hoodwinked by such blantantly criminal behavior.  Why steal little when you can steal big ?  John Frank is the most sane poster on this whole t-bred side and should be given a medal for bravery for his standing up for what's right.  I heard from Joe Kristubreth's doctor's aunt's gardener that Jerry Bailey (a.k.a. the Texas hack blowjob) was in on the fix just like Gary Stevens was in his last race at CD.  After all, that Moonshine Gal that beat his steed hasn't run off agin since or anything of the like.   horse  trotter  TC
John Frank

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2006, 10:57:33 PM »

Pay attention,He who has visited every track. (1) They wanted to win. WOLFSON. (2) They wanted to win.WOLFSON. (3) They wanted to win . WOLFSON. (4) They wanted to win. WOLFSON. (5) Of course Natiional Exposure had nothing to do with it. Their statement was: Don't F### in our hometown when our brethren are participating in the handicapping championship of the YEAR. We will do our best to see that those who are participating under the WOLFSON banner have the best oppurtunity to WIN. DON'T F### WITH US.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2006, 11:03:36 PM »

Pay attention,He who has visited every track. (1) They wanted to win. WOLFSON. (2) They wanted to win.WOLFSON. (3) They wanted to win . WOLFSON. (4) They wanted to win. WOLFSON. (5) Of course Natiional Exposure had nothing to do with it. Their statement was: Don't F### in our hometown when our brethren are participating in the handicapping championship of the YEAR. We will do our best to see that those who are participating under the WOLFSON banner have the best oppurtunity to WIN. DON'T F### WITH US.

Why didn't they put a ton more money on the favorite, then, so the longshot would be even higher odds and Wolfson would win? Pretty dumb to fix a race and then the horse you set up wasn't high enough odds to do the trick, don't you think? I've lost all respect for them.

TC - You sure you and John Frank aren't sharing the same bottle of Ripple?
TC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2006, 11:06:11 PM »

TC - You sure you and John Frank aren't sharing the same bottle of Ripple?

Terry, it's not Ripple.  It's paint fumes from all the jobs John Frank hasa lined up indoors this winter. trotter  TC
TC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2006, 11:08:11 PM »

Why didn't they put a ton more money on the favorite, then, so the longshot would be even higher odds and Wolfson would win? Pretty dumb to fix a race and then the horse you set up wasn't high enough odds to do the trick, don't you think? I've lost all respect for them.

Actually Terry, the price on the #1 Wolfson horse dropped from 70/1 down to 45/1 in the waning minutes, so that theory is flawed.  FYI.  TC
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2006, 11:12:53 PM »

Terry, it's not Ripple.  It's paint fumes from all the jobs John Frank hasa lined up indoors this winter. trotter  TC

Aaaahhhhh ... the good stuff!

One more question for John Frank:

Why, in a universe where horseplayers cry foul every weekend over the slightest slight, are you the only one claiming saying this race was fixed? Of all the horseplayers who watched at tracks and OTB's and on TV, the only one. I was sitting with 100 others at the Hawthorne contest, and this race was a mandatory for everyone, but not a peep there about fix. (Some grumbling about caps, yes.) God what a slick job those Wolfsons pulled, so that no one anywhere in the world would see and suspect a thing. No one, that is, but ... JOHN FRANK!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: