Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 23, 2014, 06:19:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today's Daily Debate Question for Friday, January 27th  (Read 986 times)
John Doe

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2006, 10:33:43 AM »

Good morning all:

I hope everyone is enjoying the week, as we get ready for the Superbowl. It should be a great game and on a personal note, it’s nice to see these two teams in the grand finale. I would like to see Pittsburgh win it for Jerome Bettis as he departs the NFL after a great career, and on the flip side, I really like Mike Holmgrem and Shaun Alexander. I am waiting with great anticipation. Earlier this week I was nominated for the President's seat in my school's Criminal Justice Club. It is a great honor to be considered for that office but I'll probably end up declining due to time restraints and others whom I feel are better fitted for it. Enough of that, today's question was  sent in by one of the more popular posters on this site who wants to know:

Have you stopped wagering on Chicago harness racing because of the decline in handle and smaller betting pools?

Have a great weekend everyone and head out to your favorite harness track. Let's support this industry that we all love so much.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
(A UNLV Runnin Rebel for Life)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 10:39:14 AM by JDakuras » Report to moderator   Logged

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
burton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 10:39:52 AM »

I'm betting way less due to the poor class of off form stock and small fields.
Report to moderator   Logged
Chi-Town Hustler

Keep'em Guessing!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 10:43:28 AM »

I quit for just that reason.When you are handicapping a field with eratic drivers except for a few,and a mile track like BMP where ANY horse that sits the rail can hit the ticket,it costs too much money to play super wheels when the rewards are no longer there. Just my 2 cents.
Dan Nance

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 10:45:21 AM »

Joe

As much as I tried to support Chicago harness racing I have to say that I just can't bring myself to bet into these pools any longer. There is no money to be won betting on Chicago races anymore.

Until something happens if it ever does in Chicago I'm only betting on the Big M. four nights a week. I just can't bet on the same 4 claimers that are racing every 4 days in Chicago.

I would like to thank the Johnston's and the IRB for running off all the good horses and alot of the good trainers and drivers. I would like to see as many people as I can boycot betting on Chicago harness racing until something happens and better horses and better pools come back like there once was.  
vcackerman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 10:49:39 AM »

I am betting less due to the poorer quality of horses.   I know you can find the occasional bomber, but all in all it's the same pigs over and over.    I used to think Quad City Downs had some of the worst races around (2K claimers and that), but unfortunately, we're seeing that level in Chicago.   Never thought I'd see the day.
Kenneth J. Chadwick

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 11:16:03 AM »

Have you stopped wagering on Chicago harness racing because of the decline in handle and smaller betting pools?

Yes.

I reviewed and played Balmoral 3/4x a week.  I bet maybe 3/5 races when I played.

I would always play the Saturday card but I am having a problem intergrating the programs in my software.

I used to look forward to handicapping the card, but I am losing interest in the game. Sad Sad Sad.

I played the Meadowlands for a period of two weeks and was successful on a few occasions, but not consistently.  I find the Meadowlands payoffs smaller and I do not get the score as I did at Balmoral pre-strike.

I will give my Handicapping a rest for about 2 1/2 months because of business demands.

Kenneth J. Chadwick   

It's a Wonderful Life, let's live every moment like its your last.
sammy

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 12:04:32 PM »

Poor quality of horses this products has really deteriorated
with racing these horses so often there won't be anything left in a couple of month's, I also think that when Hoosier opens you will see more horses leave. I don't wager Illinois anymore

Sammy
dt2

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 12:22:13 PM »

Not that I'm a huge gambler-- but the wagering pools have nothing to do with why i wont wager anymore on chicago racing!

I wont bet chicago because of a couple of  reasons. Mainly because of track ownership and there greed HAVE driven chicago racing,horsemen and fans into the ground. And IMO there will never be quality racing in chicago ever again ( except haw)!

Case in point-- why are the lion share of dates at balmoral? Could it be, because it is in the middle of no where? Therefor everyone has an OTB within a stones throw to go to. Which the tracks get the lions share of the handle VERSUS THE PURSE ACCOUNT THAT COULD VERY EASILY SUPPORT QUALITY RACING AGAIN IF THE MAJORITY OF DATES WERE IN THE CITY.

Second-- why would I want to bet horses like big heads hundred when I can wager on the best horses,trainers and drivers in our sport in Canada and NJ?

It is a real sad situation in chicago, and with my understanding of the 06 contract-- it will be worse soon when the purses drop! 

Michigan Dale

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 12:39:35 PM »

Good fishermen go where the fish are biting and they can get the best catch.   Its the same with wagering.   The wonderful (!)#K$%<<E&) IRS tickets that I've had the most of come from Maywood, Northfield Park and once in awhile Maywood.   Very very rarely from anyplace else.    Meadowlands racing is great as we all know but it has been much more difficult for me handicapping there as each race generally has quite a few strong contenders.   Knowing it'll suprise many, I can tell you I've lost more $$ at the Big M than at any other racetrack, hands down, its not even close.   I watch for certain things and prices at the lessor tracks and have come away in the pink more times than not.   The recent night I signed for two tickets totallying just under $8,000 it was Maywood and Northfield Park.   Meadows I somewhat enjoy but their payoffs are generally awful.   The key in Michigan at Northville for example is to look for value and bet to win and stay away from exotics since the odds often don't translate into a good payoff.   The pools are low.  Hazel Park - not too bad.   Better pools, more reasonable payoffs.   One just needs to know what arena their in and make their decisions accordingly.   As for Chicago, I enjoy watching the races at Maywood for the close up action and better TV shots.   Balmoral's way of showing the race on the tube has always been pretty bad and I personally don't care for it.  Just a matter of personal preference.   What one person enjoys another one does not.   Que Sera Sera, whatever will be will be.....
Dan Nance

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 01:00:38 PM »

Good fishermen go where the fish are biting and they can get the best catch.   Its the same with wagering.   The wonderful (!)#K$%<<E&) IRS tickets that I've had the most of come from Maywood, Northfield Park and once in awhile Maywood.   Very very rarely from anyplace else.    Meadowlands racing is great as we all know but it has been much more difficult for me handicapping there as each race generally has quite a few strong contenders.   Knowing it'll suprise many, I can tell you I've lost more $$ at the Big M than at any other racetrack, hands down, its not even close.   I watch for certain things and prices at the lessor tracks and have come away in the pink more times than not.   The recent night I signed for two tickets totallying just under $8,000 it was Maywood and Northfield Park.   Meadows I somewhat enjoy but their payoffs are generally awful.   The key in Michigan at Northville for example is to look for value and bet to win and stay away from exotics since the odds often don't translate into a good payoff.   The pools are low.  Hazel Park - not too bad.   Better pools, more reasonable payoffs.   One just needs to know what arena their in and make their decisions accordingly.   As for Chicago, I enjoy watching the races at Maywood for the close up action and better TV shots.   Balmoral's way of showing the race on the tube has always been pretty bad and I personally don't care for it.  Just a matter of personal preference.   What one person enjoys another one does not.   Que Sera Sera, whatever will be will be.....

The only time anything pays good at Maywood is when the horses just don't figure to get there or the 1-2 shot breaks. So, don't tell me you make money betting Maywood's races. Unless you're betting on numbers in superfecta races and getting lucky you aren't making a profit betting on Chicago harness racing. There are not that many IRS trifectas at Maywood and Balmoral. Only the supers pay decent because most of them can't be hit unless you play numbers and spend alot of money. You're talking to a guy that's been around for 30 years not some goof off the street who doesn't have a clue about gambling on harness racing. 
potrasalve

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 01:01:30 PM »

Hard to play a race with three provisional drivers in it and Owen Julius , Nick Clegg , Tom Busse , and  Ross Leonard . Undecided
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 02:55:33 PM »

The only time anything pays good at Maywood is when the horses just don't figure to get there or the 1-2 shot breaks. So, don't tell me you make money betting Maywood's races. Unless you're betting on numbers in superfecta races and getting lucky you aren't making a profit betting on Chicago harness racing. There are not that many IRS trifectas at Maywood and Balmoral. Only the supers pay decent because most of them can't be hit unless you play numbers and spend alot of money. You're talking to a guy that's been around for 30 years not some goof off the street who doesn't have a clue about gambling on harness racing. 

You have to adjust how you play Maywood -- but it's more that possible to make a profit if you pick your spots.  If you sit, you will eventually find shots that trip in.  Also, beatable rail favorites are a wonderful angle.

Always remember -- a 3/1 pays $8 at Maywood -- or the Big M.  It's all about just betting when the price is right.  There's definitely less opportunies, but it's quite possible.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
SUPERMAN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 03:54:02 PM »

It's really sad to see the kind of crap we have to bet on in Chicago. I only bet the Big m now because if the track owners don't care about the product, why should I? I ain't betting a dime on this crap when you see nothing but cheap horses racing every day, who wants that kind of crap, not me. They better do something fast because people are pretty much done with Chicago and the only horsemen left here are the busted out ones. WEait til IN. opens up and then we will see big head hundreds in the first and last race every night. Chicago is a joke right now and its getting worse. Now for tomorrows big saturday afternoon card....lol...lol...lol!!! thumbs down thumbs down thumbs down
darth vader

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 05:32:56 PM »

hey Joe i seen on ESPN were one of your famous rebels is under arrest for kidnapping i think he was  a  close friend of tark's  ( Isiah rider )
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: