Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 03, 2014, 12:11:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ITHA mess gets more interesting  (Read 2063 times)
APCD Dan

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2006, 04:27:56 PM »

Just read the PR release from Janice Ely on Janine's news articles.  It appears that Joe Kasperski and/or fellow ITHA friends may have had their hands in the cookie jar, using ITHA funds for some nice personal perks.  The recently completed audit supposedly shows this.  Don't you just love Illinois racing?  It isn't bad enough on its own, the horsepeople have to screw each other!
Report to moderator   Logged
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 05:02:02 PM »

Wow.

If it's all true those were personal expenses, now THAT would be documented corruption.
David

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 05:13:53 PM »

Expenses are always an iffy area in any business, what is business or personal is often a blurry line and often more of a company policy than a hard black and white issue, some seem like they might be a stretch on the press release - but what would be relavant is what the previous regime was getting for expenses. Were they charging similar type of things? I would assume that the trips are to some conference or something - the question would be had the board a history of sending it's people there or was that all new, same with alot of the other listed items like meals and liquor and such. I would guess the cable bill is under the guise of keeping up with the industry through tvg or whatever - sort of stretching the envelope there.

nwaryas

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 05:29:25 PM »

The ITHA is a fraudulent company not the THA which is an affiliate (original) company out of Maryland. Please be aware that I support the ITHA only for it's Dental, Medical and Educational services. I don't support Joe "Fraud" Kasperski. Joe shouldn't have been paid for services with the ITHA. Joe trains horses for a living and should be living off of the winnings and daily training fees from the owners.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 05:57:48 PM »

Expenses are always an iffy area in any business, what is business or personal is often a blurry line and often more of a company policy than a hard black and white issue, some seem like they might be a stretch on the press release - but what would be relavant is what the previous regime was getting for expenses. Were they charging similar type of things? I would assume that the trips are to some conference or something - the question would be had the board a history of sending it's people there or was that all new, same with alot of the other listed items like meals and liquor and such. I would guess the cable bill is under the guise of keeping up with the industry through tvg or whatever - sort of stretching the envelope there.

There do seem to be a lot of charges at the same restaurants and bars, a lot of charges at Speedway in Hickory Hills (for gas, I assume), and then the charges for automobile work? But maybe this board approved a lot of things in addition to the yearly salary for the ITHA president, like gas to get to work every day (which, as a trainer, he was probably doing anyhow), and car/truck repairs? Who knows. It will remain to be seen. The big expenses like out of town hotel bills and air travel should be documented on expense reports if they were for conferences. I know that some of the prior administration went on that type of thing, too.
RunSuckerRun

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 07:14:52 PM »

I ran into Joe yesterday out here in Vegas.  He's been out here for the past 10 days playing the tournaments.  Wonder where the money for this trip came from.

Interesting to see if it was charged to the ITHA because there wasn't any horseracing business going on.

Of course, since I'm an IL horseman and we spoke I guess it now counts as a legitimate expense. dude  Maybe I can get a slice of the pie.

-RSR
David

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 09:05:49 PM »

The thing I think looks the funkiest to me is the slew of charges at the White Hen in Oakbrook coupled with a Jewel and Meijer charge on the one month,the January statment I believe

Maybe there is some logical explanation like but maybe there were some meetings going on or something to do with the Holidays and they were getting donuts or sandwhiches everyday, but that still seems funky as who gets that stuff from White Hen everyday, you'd think you'd mix it up with some Panera or Corner Bakery or Dunkin or something.
Thomas Graham

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 09:58:53 PM »

Where are you guys seeing the specific expenses? I see the press release, but the breakdown of expenses?
David

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 10:03:11 PM »

At the bottom of the press release there is a link to a .pdf of blurry copies of the statements, awfully big file for some reason.
Thomas Graham

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 10:04:00 PM »

Never mind, found it!
Thomas Graham

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 10:04:23 PM »

Thanks David
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 10:12:17 PM »

Where are you guys seeing the specific expenses? I see the press release, but the breakdown of expenses?

Link at the bottom of the press release to a .pdf.
User1015

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 11:39:44 PM »

I suspect that conference and travel expenses were common to this ITHA administration as well as past administrations. The question would be were these budgeted items that were approved by the ITHA Board?  It is. however, my opinion that there is no room for extravagant expenditures, whether approved or not by the ITHA Board, when revenues are shrinking.

Its time for a change, its time for strong leadership!     horse
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 12:05:05 AM »

I suspect that conference and travel expenses were common to this ITHA administration as well as past administrations. The question would be were these budgeted items that were approved by the ITHA Board?  It is. however, my opinion that there is no room for extravagant expenditures, whether approved or not by the ITHA Board, when revenues are shrinking.

Its time for a change, its time for strong leadership!     horse

Again I'll ask, who do you have in mind? Is there someone interested in leading the ITHA who fits that bill? Someone who has been campaigning for ITHA leadership? Someone interested in doing the job? I certainly don't remember much in the line of charismatic strong visionary candidates on the last ballot, not to mention any who lost.
User1015

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 12:24:05 AM »

Thats a valid point, but I do believe there are good candidates out there Terry. horse
ggenie

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 08:20:30 AM »

These sample bills are from 3 different credit cards.  THe Dish Network bills are for Joe's house.  Everybody, Joe Justin Pam and Denise the secretaries and Jocquim have credit cards from Sams and Joe Justin and Pam have Master Cards.  They all charge gas to and from work.  Pretty good pert for a not-for-profit corp.  In addition there are charges for car washes, oil changes, body work, repairs.   There are Sam's charges for fireplace logs, jeans, sweaters, cat litter, tenderlions etc.

These few pages were an example for the membership and more info is to follow.  There are no expense reports, or any kind of supporting documents on any expendatures.  What Joe is calling a meeting at the Rib Place by his house couldn't be much of a meeting for 17.00 - looks more like carryout for home.

Previous administration documented all expendatures and the books were open to anyone who asked, it didn't take 5 months and legal fees to see them.
David

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 10:14:29 AM »

It is sort of a strange subject the gas, even if you have a company car - the commute to the office is not business related, and you usually required to are and should report that mileage and gas as personal use (the irs is really stickly about this) - the business can still pay for it if it is company policy - but the business must then report your personal use of a vehicle or just gas as income, which would trigger the employee to pay tax for it.

With all the weird charges - are they that stupid? or is there a chance they used the company card and then reimbursed the company for the personal stuff? not the best policy - but that happens at alot of companies.

edwarren

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 01:04:24 PM »

Again I'll ask, who do you have in mind? Is there someone interested in leading the ITHA who fits that bill? Someone who has been campaigning for ITHA leadership? Someone interested in doing the job? I certainly don't remember much in the line of charismatic strong visionary candidates on the last ballot, not to mention any who lost.

Can't have outlaws running the show. Bad business. Firing squad, only solution. Seriously. The by-laws must contain rules of succession. I never involve myself, so is this a naive assumption?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: