Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 30, 2014, 05:29:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today's Daily Debate Question for Tuesday, January 24th  (Read 1031 times)
John Doe

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2006, 08:07:14 AM »

The question today was sent to me via email by another poster who truly cares about Chicago harness racing and its current status. I have rephrased the question in the most unbiased manner possible so we can hear all of your views and opinions. The question today is:

Due to the declining handle and downward spiral Chicago harness racing seems to be experiencing at the present time, should we scale back on the amount of simulcasting tracks in an effort to encourage the betting public to wager on Chicago racing instead of some other out of state track?

I am looking forward to reading some of your replies on this one. Have a great day everyone, time to hit the books!

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
(A UNLV Runnin Rebel For Life)
Report to moderator   Logged

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
Thomas Graham

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 08:17:29 AM »

That horse has already left the barn. 

You certainly aren't going to pull the signals from Meadowlands, Northfield and/or Woodbine, because if you did you'd just chase the folks to their computers/home TVs to bet these races (I don't care if the legality is questionable, there are legit providers more thna willing to take IL bettor's money).  Sure you get less purse $ from betting on these simos as opposed to betting on the live produc, but less is well better than nothing.

You aren't going to pull the big T-bred signals (Turfway, Hollywoood on Friday nights, the west coast spillover after 6:30 p.m., Woodbine T-breds on wed. night, Texas t-breds especially Lone Star) because again something is better than nothing --- and this is a gift as you are taking money being bet on t-breds and getting money into the harness purse account (sure the T-bred folks get Freehold and a few other daytime cards, but believe me, it's well more t-bred $ going to harness purses than the other way around which is why the t-bred folks want breed-to-breed splits instead of the 6:30 split).

So what's left to pull (Aussie races, some third-tired t-breds like Mountaineer or Penn and some third-tier harness like Pompano or Windsor)?  You could pull those signals and not make a dent in adding new money back into the live product.

What needs to be done is ---- no surcharges at ITW/OTB to get people out of the homes and back where  they can wager and have half a chance to grind out a profit, better customer services co people feel like they are welcome and not intruders, a good reward program like Club Hawthorne, and yes, even a little help from the state in no recapture and some additional forms of gaming (and ONLY if the splits are equitable).

TJG --- NOT the trainer
off stride

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 08:25:46 AM »

yes...you should stop simulcasting all together..and only allow people to bet on illinois and its superior product... that will show the meadowlands who is boss...how dare they take away your best horses and horsemen .. if they want to wager on indiana..let them drive to indiana..ohio and meeeeechigan.. you will show them
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 08:27:18 AM by off stride » Report to moderator   Logged
tough business

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 09:03:10 AM »

While you are at it, close ALL the OTB's and make the patrons go into the track!!!  Then Ray, Dominic and Chuck will have atleast 5 other people to talk to every night!!
TC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 09:52:16 AM »

Joe, great question !  I think simulcasting should be limited, as too many tracks distract some of our less disciplined low-level players.  I see too many people betting the next track, next race all too often.  I myself get sucked in on some angle at a nfld, nor, etc. from time to time.  In CA, simulcasting is limited mainly to preserve their live product.  What would Los Al's live handle be if they took 15 tracks every night ?  Even Santa Anita, the "great race place", pipes in a few signals a day only (of course their live product is superb).  Here's their Friday January 27th simulcast schedule :

GP
                                  AQU
                                  Tam
                                   OP
                                  CalX
                                  Los Al
    for the entire day and night.  IL should follow a similar pattern to protect its live product.  Who needs Mountaineer, Penn Nat'l, and a few others ?  With the rampant success of local horsemen  at the Big M, there's no way to chop them now.  Besides, the tracks make good money on the signal.  I say less signals, more focus on live product, or stick all the extraneous signals off track and increase the surcharge on winning tickets to 5% (at the OTBs) and split the revenue with the horsemen.   trotter  TC
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 09:55:20 AM by TC » Report to moderator   Logged
Horse Voice

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 10:01:35 AM »

I rarely come out to the track now, in favor of phone wagering.

Take away more tracks, and I won't come out at all.

Bad idea. As a previous poster stated: that horse has already left the barn.
TC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 10:06:45 AM »

I rarely come out to the track now, in favor of phone wagering.

Take away more tracks, and I won't come out at all.

Bad idea. As a previous poster stated: that horse has already left the barn.
HV, if yours is a popular opinion, then should IL adopt phone wagering on its live product ?  It's straying from the topic a bit, but I'm sure Joe Dakuras put this up for feedback from any relevant angle.   trotter  TC
bowserkat

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 12:24:24 PM »

maroon You can't force a bad product down anyone's throat.  Have scaled back betting on Balmoral, since I can do better at Woodbine or even Georgian Downs.
fineline

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 01:27:25 PM »

When I went to DELMAR last summer Mostly when they have live races they only simulcast Cailfornia racetracks on days they are dark they went to other tracks outside the state.I do not know if they simulcast Meadowlands at night because i twas over when I was there.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 02:14:27 PM »

When I went to DELMAR last summer Mostly when they have live races they only simulcast Cailfornia racetracks on days they are dark they went to other tracks outside the state.I do not know if they simulcast Meadowlands at night because i twas over when I was there.

California significantly limits the number of incoming races, in order to favor their live product.  I think it's an interesting idea, but once you've gone full card, you can never go back.  Being that most of life is about nothing more than expectation, the bettors of CA don't EXPECT to see any more than maybe 7-15 simo races a day; however, here in IL, the bettors expect full card, and if they didn't get it, they would most likely seek out other ways to get it.

I liken it to this whole dime/quarter/fifty cent wager craze.  It works excellently for awhile, and then -- when the pools start to fall apart because of the smaller metric -- there's really no way to go back to the days where you actually had to bet paper money. Wink

Since I took that tangent -- let me say: $3 EX, $2 TRI, $2 SUP, $3 P3, $2 P4, $2 P6, $1 P9.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
off stride

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 03:16:30 PM »

i understand it takes nearly 7 dollars of simulcast monies bet on your product from out of state to equal 1 dollar bet on track .. so the obvious answer is to get more butts in the seats to bet on your live product...
i need a 20 spot

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 05:23:12 PM »

TAKE AWAY MORE TRACKS AND THE FANS WILL LEAVE FOR GOOD. TRY MAKING YOUR PRODUCT WORTH BETTING ON AND THEN YOU WILL SEE THE HANDLE GET HIGHER. UNTIL THEN KEEP LETTING GUYS LIKE DOC AND THE JOHNSONS DRIVE YOUR RACING INTO THE GROUND. CHICAGO RACING IS A JOKE ANDF YOU WILL BE CLOSING UP SHOP FOR GOOD  thumbs down BY THE END OF THE YEAR!! thumbs down thumbs down
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: