Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 16, 2014, 02:38:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crazy Incident From The Past  (Read 2839 times)
Les Moore

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 02:59:58 AM »

One Saturday evening while pulling in the Balmoral parking lot, this big red headed bearded muscular guy who used to park cars, got his foot ran over by some guy. He was hopping around and cursing the guy big time. When we got inside and started looking at the program, my friend pointed out to me a horse running in the third race named Hoppin Red who was no. 4 and 10-1 in the morning line. When post time came he was 16- 1 and my friend ran to the $10 window to bet him. He was so excited that destiny called, he bet the five horse instead of the four horse. When he noticed the mistake he became pale and was cursing himself. The race started and of course Hoppin Red took the lead. He was so sure he was going to win he threw his ticket on the ground and went back inside. For some reason I picked up the ticket just in case. Lo and behold here comes Tom Tetrick on the 5 horse at 22-1 and nips Hoppin Red by a head at the wire. My friend comes running out and starts crawling on the ground like a starved blood hound looking for his ticket. After a couple of minutes I gave him the winning ticket and asked him if he learned anything. He replied, next time I'll bet to place too.
Report to moderator   Logged
nextbonus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2006, 08:34:38 AM »

My favorite track was the now defunct AURORA DOWNS. This quaint half miler was built in 1946 and raced from then through 1952. It was closed from 1952 until 1967 when it re-opened for winter racing only. That's when I started going.

It had a long stretch for a half with hairpin turns. The start/finish line was in deep stretch leaving little room for outside horses to gain position before the first bend  So, the inside posts, especially the rail, were golden.  Maywood has an outside bias compared to old Aurora.

Some horses were "locks" if they drew the fence. Georgia Boy (Harold Guerra) and Bold Over (Bobby Burnett) come immediately to mind.  Those two horses must have won a dozen times carrying the red saddlecloth wire to wire between 2:08 and 2:14 depending on temperature and track condition

Often I'd be the only person watching the races outside in below zero weather as the other 300 patrons were basking in 72 degree comfort inside.

Two of my more vivid memories were cashing an 8-7-6 straight trifecta keyed by the amazingly consistent claimer Sunview. And having a horse, sulky and driver crash through the outside fence in the stretch landing in a heap less then 10 feet away from me.

The frightened horse was thrashing around on the track apron, pinned between the fence and the track and all tangled up in his equipment and sulky. The driver (Igino Lancione) was unhurt but very shaken (naturally).

Being the first person on the scene, I pulled the base of the chain link fence up and away from the horse as much as I could. The driver and a few other people were able to drag him out from under the fence.

The horse was pretty scraped up but walked off with no signs of serious injury.

If you go to enough racetracks enough times, you'll see just about everything.
Harry Dapear

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2006, 04:00:08 AM »

One Sunday afternoon at Balmoral my buddy Vern and I stopped on the bottom floor to get a couple of beers. The beer guy asked Vern if he had any hot ones for today. Vern told him he got a tip that a horse named James Senator couldn't lose the fifth race today. I asked Vern why he told him that knowing that the horse was a three legged rat. He said he's got such a big mouth that he'll tell everyone and that he'll get a better price on the horse he liked. To my amazement James Senator who was 15-1 in the program was bet down to 5-1. He was 24-1 last time against the same field. James Senator won for fun and paid a whopping $12. Vern became very ill.

God forgives Moochers, I don't.
Harry Dapear

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2006, 01:29:25 AM »

My buddy Vern, his brother Boyd and I went to Maywood one Friday. Boyd went to the track twice a year and his wife would only give him $10 to bet with. On the way in, he picked up a newspaper from the ground and commented that he won't have to bother us for our programs now. After the sixth race he said he was up over $100 and had 4 out 6 winners. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was picking the top number from the paper. I took the paper to see what was on top for the seventh and noticed he was looking at Spotsman's Park entries for Friday afternoon. The cheap SOB ended up with one more winner.

God forgives Moochers, I don't.
abtruth

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2006, 04:57:52 PM »

one of the last times i warmed up my horse at maywood a guy by fence yelled i was a child molester.i told him to come by fence after and say it to my face once more.he did oops bad idea.he had to cry out for sucuite because of a nice boot mark on his chin.too many bad ones at the races and y'all wonder why my kids arnt alloud to go to races.let the reel inbreds bring their boys and girls to see the dirty people in stands cusing not me.i hear tony say once that if he get that crazy guy by fence hell go to prison.truth
TrackRatMole

Grandstand Goof T-shirts Now On Sale!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2006, 06:42:09 PM »

One warm rainy night at Wolverine, there was a skunk that wandered out for a stroll in the middle of the home stretch. He was lazily wandering to and fro, and the look on his face as ten pacers came thundering toward him must have been priceless. He scooted toward teh infield, barely escaping the 1, and was never seen again.

This must have been an omen, because I had a $5 win ticket on a 48-1 shot that came in.  Shocked
off stride

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2006, 06:44:52 PM »

One warm rainy night at Wolverine, there was a skunk that wandered out for a stroll in the middle of the home stretch. He was lazily wandering to and fro, and the look on his face as ten pacers came thundering toward him must have been priceless. He scooted toward teh infield, barely escaping the 1, and was never seen again.

This must have been an omen, because I had a $5 win ticket on a 48-1 shot that came in.  Shocked

dude.. if that only happened 1 time... i was there!!! thanx for the memory..wonder if that skunk was john frank...Huh
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 07:45:17 PM by off stride » Report to moderator   Logged
TrackRatMole

Grandstand Goof T-shirts Now On Sale!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2006, 06:48:23 PM »

I want to say this was the early 80's. Can't remember the horse, but it was definitely my salad days, and the cash was handy!

My friend who had a "system" also won on a $40 win ticket that night at 7-2, so we both left Wolverine happy (at least once!)...
off stride

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2006, 06:53:21 PM »

as i've said in other threads..what a place..what good harness racing.. not like some of the rats mich has today
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: