Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 03, 2014, 02:13:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crazy Incident From The Past  (Read 2836 times)
thebigm

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2006, 01:25:52 AM »

How about the time at Hawthorne when Jacob had broken EQ on CHarge Plate in the first turn and Larson who was on Spensive reached back and  grabbed hold of Charge Plate as Randy climbed on the horses back...It was one of the craziest things that i've seen happen during a race...this was a nice money race and Larson gave up his chances to save Jacobs ass....It seemed that this was the time of the start of the fall of Doug Larson....Why he gave up babies and took all claimers for the LeVins I will never know...He sure knew how to get a baby ready to roll
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 02:12:02 AM by thebigm » Report to moderator   Logged

I sure miss the good 'ol days!!
Mclock

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 01:41:51 AM »

I remember that well and thats the kind of guy doug  larson was......Plus he left on his own to make big bucks with a tech company, no one took any horses from him, he walked away.....I guess he helped Jacobs to thank him for rip van rocky....
                                                        trotter
Report to moderator   Logged

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Believeabilly

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 01:50:59 AM »

Doug Larsen was truuly a clas act I remembr he gav me the fist horse I Owd called Lively expres Doug if you out there good luck in all your futer endevners
Harry Dapear

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 02:01:04 AM »

A few years back Balmoral ran a gimmick to show free wrestlemania on a Sunday evening, why I don't know. We got there at 5pm to watch the workouts and the place was packed with every hippy, drunk, and moron in the midwest. Every seat was occupied and they were throwing whiskey bottles at everything that moved. By time wrestlemania started the place was up for grabs and half the seats were torn off. The fastest times of the night were the patrons and security guards running to the parking lot.

God forgives Moochers, I don't.
Believeabilly

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 02:26:47 AM »

Speaking of crazy incidents from the past remmber when we had good announcers at Balmaral, maywood?
off stride

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 06:41:17 AM »

A few years back Balmoral ran a gimmick to show free wrestlemania on a Sunday evening, why I don't know. We got there at 5pm to watch the workouts and the place was packed with every hippy, drunk, and moron in the midwest. Every seat was  packed

harry...it seems that every where you go seems to have every drunk hippy and moron are you just unlucky or do you just pesonify the 'sh!t draws flies' theory?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 10:59:52 AM »

Speaking of crazy incidents from the past remmber when we had good announcers at Balmaral, maywood?
yea, anyone before or after ear ache.
potrasalve

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 11:07:34 AM »

Remember when everyone over the age of 10 could spell. And had an IQ of  at least 80.  Lips Sealed
Mike Bozich

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 01:43:51 PM »

When I was dating this girl in Birmingham, she always asked me "why do you pour over those useless stats in the program?" I said honey, its to your benefit to know the class droppers, who the good drivers are on, etc... She said alls I have to do is look at horses to pick winners. So we came back to Chicago to visit and went to Balmoral for a night. First race, she bets an 8-9-10 exacta box. I said wait a minute, your throwing 12 bucks away. They were all over 20-1. I went on about 10 minutes why they would all finish up the track. I told her if it comes in, I would do all the housework for a whole month. I.....don't have to finish this story do I?
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 02:23:56 PM »

Back in the day at QCD:

The first time around, near the quarter pole (it was a 5/8ths for those who don't know) there's a wreck near the rear of the field, and two horses go down.  It's a fairly rough one, and so the ambulance comes out onto the racetrack.

As the field nears the head of the stretch the final time, everyone bears out to get around the ambulance, outrider, two horses being held down, and two drivers (may have been Simmons and RV, but my memory is misfiring).

Now, sitting in 5th or 6th on the rail is a very young driver (I don't remember the name -- help!), and he sees the GOLDEN RAIL opening up as every horse bears out...so he gives his horse a good shot, and fires right up the rail...now, on about the third or fourth whip, he finally looked up, and sees all the stuff sitting on the racetrack.......and yanks the living crap out of the right line, but not before clipping the outrider, and running RIGHT INTO THE AMBULANCE.

Now, this is all hilarious in hindsight, because everyone turned out to be fine.  But, I'll say -- that for the rest of his driving career -- whenever the rail opened up...he looked first!

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
off stride

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 02:54:55 PM »

here is a sad, but true story on one of my many fair trips.. i was in napolean one hot sunday afternoon and after a man crossed the track to get to the winners circle which was in the infield he stayed to chat for just a minute then turned to re cross the track back to his seat took 2 steps back onto the track and got hit by a horse warming up for a later race... the man died on the spot...my worst day at the track ever...
TC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 03:07:54 PM »

At Maywood years ago, a burly, youthful guy had either a seizure or an adverse reaction to drugs and alcohol.  He was outside when he got "stuck" like Howard Hughes in 'The Aviator'.  He started flailing his arms like a drum major and repeating "SPIELBERG, SPIELBERG" over and over again.  He couldn't be restrained by his friends, nor could he be by about 8 guys.  Eventually, he was tackled to the ground, where he continued to flail away while on his back (like an overturned turtle) until medical help arrived.  They strapped him tightly onto the gurney and after a good 20 minutes of this, finally started to wear out.  As he was being wheeled away, he still was muttering "SPIELBERG, SPIELBERG", albeit at a slower and softer cadence.  Talk about suffering the aftereffects of a bad beat !   trotter  TC
DLeestable

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 03:17:08 PM »

Edward,

That was my horse lying on the track. Active Time Mark was knocked down and he landed in a heap.  Everyone noticed except for Drew Johnson.  I used to have it on tape.
Mike Bozich

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 03:17:22 PM »

When I was younger, my dad loved this horse called Raeda (I think it was a Jon Anderson horse) anyway, he bet 20 WP on him and he was about 15-1. Keep in mind this was the old Balmoral 5/8ths. So he darts out for the lead and is immediately up by 10. So he's up 10 the whole way, and it was becoming obvious that he wasnt going to lose. So just past 3 quarters, we are counting our money, and instead of taking the turn home, this horse just goes full speed straight right into the paddock and barns. Never seen anything like it.
DLeestable

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 03:29:14 PM »

Edward,

It was only one driver down, Mike Perrin.  The driver that caused it never went down.  He took the front legs of my horse with his wheel.
LVd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 03:40:18 PM »

Back in the day at QCD:

The first time around, near the quarter pole (it was a 5/8ths for those who don't know) there's a wreck near the rear of the field, and two horses go down.  It's a fairly rough one, and so the ambulance comes out onto the racetrack.

As the field nears the head of the stretch the final time, everyone bears out to get around the ambulance, outrider, two horses being held down, and two drivers (may have been Simmons and RV, but my memory is misfiring).

Now, sitting in 5th or 6th on the rail is a very young driver (I don't remember the name -- help!), and he sees the GOLDEN RAIL opening up as every horse bears out...so he gives his horse a good shot, and fires right up the rail...now, on about the third or fourth whip, he finally looked up, and sees all the stuff sitting on the racetrack.......and yanks the living crap out of the right line, but not before clipping the outrider, and running RIGHT INTO THE AMBULANCE.

Now, this is all hilarious in hindsight, because everyone turned out to be fine.  But, I'll say -- that for the rest of his driving career -- whenever the rail opened up...he looked first!
                Mike Perrin and Vince Affrunti were the drivers knocked down. That was also the new outriders , I believe second day on the job.
Best,
EW
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 03:41:04 PM »

Edward,

It was only one driver down, Mike Perrin.  The driver that caused it never went down.  He took the front legs of my horse with his wheel.

Ah!  I'm getting my accidents mixed up -- haha.  But, yes, Drew Johnson.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
childewood

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 04:04:13 PM »

My buddy and I were taking a long drive out to Balmoral back in the 80s. All of a sudden we see a shooting star, being from the city, neither one of us had ever seen one. Right then and there we say, lets bet any horse whose name has something to do with shooting stars. Sure enough, a horse has shooting star in his name. After the excitement of seeing a shooting star had worn off, we decide betting names is stupid and the shooting star horse is a rat and can't win. Sure enough, the rat wins the race at a nice price. Of all the times I got off a winner, that one stands out the most.
childewood

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 04:08:03 PM »

Another crazy incident. A gun goes off at SPK and people are spilling out of the grandstand and running out onto the track. I saw Vince Tamburello die at Maywood(a sad night) and I was also there for the Doug Larsen incident(I seemed to remember it was Larson jumping on the horses back and not Jacobs)
LVd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 04:14:43 PM »

I remember the gun incident at SPK very well as I was sitting in the section where it happened. The guy actually pulled a Screwdriver out of his pocket and someone yelled, "hes gotta gun". The race just ended. The Grumbler won.
Mclock

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 04:38:06 PM »

does anyone remember the horse at maywood going straight thru the fence at the start of the race...that was pretty scarry and also one time a horse from the outside 7-8 post at maywood passed the starting gate at the start..
                                                  trotter

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Armonsol

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 06:14:12 PM »

does anyone remember the horse at maywood going straight thru the fence at the start of the race...that was pretty scarry and also one time a horse from the outside 7-8 post at maywood passed the starting gate at the start..
                                                  trotter
That was the race that Fredricton N and Judge for Yourself both died in the same race.  Not good.
BIG FAN

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 06:26:19 PM »

I remember the Charge Plate incident well!My worst moment well their are two my favorite horse that a friend owned named BJ"S Chance with MArc Aubin was in an accident at the old SPK and had to be put down that night!My true horror story was with a horse I bought as a yearling..She was an Incredible Finale out of an Ideal Society mare.I did not race her till she was three.She won her qualifier at Balmoral Park.Her first race a horse broke in front of her causing her to jump.She broke stride recovered and took the lead in the stretch but started to drift wide and finished sixth or seventh.I found out the next day she broke a bone.I let her heal and she did  possibly to breed  and she later died of EPM!She would have been a good one I am sure of that! Angry      flag
sleepless

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2006, 01:53:21 AM »

I seem to recall a incident involving Queen Bea Farber at SPK in the stretch when her race bike broke down leaving Bea sitting on the race bike seat next to the ground  and she was still on the seat driving when crossing the finish line. I think it made the news.
icare

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2006, 02:07:17 AM »

I seem to recall a incident involving Queen Bea Farber at SPK in the stretch when her race bike broke down leaving Bea sitting on the race bike seat next to the ground  and she was still on the seat driving when crossing the finish line. I think it made the news.

she did a good job that night
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: