Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 30, 2014, 07:40:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Like old times  (Read 1102 times)
Mclock

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2008, 01:14:14 AM »

I looked at Balmorals results and I thought I was back in 1992 or something Lil Joe went 3 for 3 ....Now there is a horseman  thumbs up

trotter
Report to moderator   Logged

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
noc

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 01:26:04 AM »

I looked at Balmorals results and I thought I was back in 1992 or something Lil Joe went 3 for 3 ....Now there is a horseman  thumbs up

trotter
I may get crucified for this but He, at his age, is better than Ryan....He does get the best out of his horses....
Is showing the young bucks how it is done....
NiatrossJumps

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 02:07:03 AM »

I think the driving community at this time has also helped, But I also agree he has more talent (Far more) than Ryan will ever have.
Gb

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 02:52:17 AM »

thumbs up thumbs up always has been my favorite
vegas jay

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 05:15:55 AM »

What really impressed me about Joe Anderson as a horseman was his stint of about two years or so as a thoroughbred trainer in Southern California around the late-80s-early 90s. He did very well with a small stable and I remember he won at least one stakes race with a horse that paid a huge price. From what I understand he couldn't get enough owners to make staying with the t-breds worthwhile for him, but his ability to switch breeds and still train winners without missing a beat was impressive. I thought it spoke volumes as to his ability as a horseman. And he was always one of my favorite drivers when he competed at Los Alamitos.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 05:17:31 AM by vegas jay » Report to moderator   Logged
NIATROSS

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 10:20:54 AM »

thumbs up thumbs up always has been my favorite

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Goodfella

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 10:27:57 AM »

Top modern day all around horsemen around. trotter trotter thumbs up thumbs up

It's not too late to change the road you're on.
Grinder

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 11:38:01 AM »

Jay, I had forgotten Joe switched breeds for a while back then, thanks for the reminder light bulb  It had to be back when we only were racing a few months of the year, and had no future (sound familiar?) LOL.   Back then Bobby Gordon, Roger Stein, Barry Abrams, Joe the General, and a few others I forgot made the transition. 

People said Bobby G trained his too hard, and some broke down, Stein was (and still is) good at getting owners with cash, and had a good New Zealand connection, but also showed a real talent for improving mares.  I remember early in his thoroughbred career he claimed one named Southern-(something) for $10,000 up in Washington at the old Longacres track, now Emerald, and proceeded to run her right up the ranks and earn 850,000 with her over a 3 year span. Abrams is still doing well on the big So. Cal. circuit to this day.

My friend Steve Wiseman worked for Joe back in Chicago, and Joe gave him his first driving win on a horse he trained. Steve always said Joe takes very very good care of his stock, his equipment, and his people.  He always has high praise for the man. Classy guy.  And a Hall-of-Famer for sure. thumbs up
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 11:39:59 AM by Grinder » Report to moderator   Logged

The more you bet...the more you win
vegas jay

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 02:34:15 PM »

Grinder:

I used to know a guy years ago who drove in So. Cal in the 70s & 80s, the late Gary Tropp, who told me --- these were his exact words --- "Roger Stein, himself, couldn't train a dog to bark. He won his training titles because Barry Abrams did the actual training of his horses. All Roger did was recruit owners."

Then, when Roger had some success years ago after switching to thoroughbreds, it was widely known that his "assistant" Willie Washington was the guy doing the actual training. If Stein is actually training his own horses now, maybe that explains why he hasn't done squat in recent years.
Grinder

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 09:35:20 PM »

That sounds reasonable. 

One thing Roger is good at is hearing the dinner bell.  cheese

The more you bet...the more you win
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 12:13:52 AM »

Joe is one crafty old guy!

Ryan has improved pretty nicely the last 4 years.  Is he finally growing up?  Look forward to his return.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: