Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 21, 2014, 10:33:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today's Daily Debate Question for Monday, January 23rd  (Read 1479 times)
John Doe

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2006, 12:07:52 PM »

In the wonderful world of harness wagering, I have often wondered about fans and public perception of the sport. Whenever people gamble on anything and lose, most are unable to face the true reality of what constituted their loss. In harness racing, the blame of a losing wager is often placed on everything except the person who made the choice to wager in the first place. One bothersome area of this in harness racing takes place when a horse goes off stride and the person who wagered on it, feels they did not "get a fair shake" for their money. With that being said, today's questions is:

Should you receive a refund if the horse you wagered on breaks stride ( not on proper gait) at any point after you placed your bet...i.e., behind the starting gate, at the start of the race, during the race, at the finish of the race, or anywhere else for that matter?

Please post your thoughts and opinions. I am being told that everyone in Chicago racing is reading this forum so maybe if we get enough people to post on different topics we can make a change for the better. Good luck everyone and Happy Monday!

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
(A UNLV Runnin Rebel For Life)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 12:16:14 PM by JDakuras » Report to moderator   Logged

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
Kenneth J. Chadwick

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 12:19:29 PM »

To Bad, So Sad

Kenneth J. Chadwick
Report to moderator   Logged

It's a Wonderful Life, let's live every moment like its your last.
BigMikeRocco

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 02:11:59 PM »

IMO, we should return to the breaking rule as it was about 12 years ago. If a horse breaks before the gate, there should be a Recall. Gate rolls, second break of same horse, horse is scratched. With th lame goats today that are racing, handicappers cannot afford to have a lame rat, have a chance to  interfere and scatter a field., since the stewards are allowing these unsound horse to race. Just my opinion
off stride

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 02:18:26 PM »

if a driver bets on himself to win...then realizes he has no chance.. he breaks his horse  and gets his money back.. could lead to widespread fraud... if you aint ready when then bell rings..tuff luck
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 02:26:11 PM »

IMO, we should return to the breaking rule as it was about 12 years ago. If a horse breaks before the gate, there should be a Recall. Gate rolls, second break of same horse, horse is scratched. With th lame goats today that are racing, handicappers cannot afford to have a lame rat, have a chance to  interfere and scatter a field., since the stewards are allowing these unsound horse to race. Just my opinion

I completely agree with this, Mike.

The program says "ONE MILE PACE" -- not one mile and some random distance while the car speeds up.  The same should apply to horses that are excessively off the gate.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
mgriffin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 02:59:49 PM »

What if the horse breaks right before the start, gets back on stride and wins anyway. Would you be complaining then?

MG
trotter1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 03:08:01 PM »

C'mon, refund money if a horse breaks during the race?  We're getting a little silly with the daily debate questions here.  Could you just imagine if you have your horse 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in Superfectas, the horse breaks at some point during the race and comes back to finish 3rd?.  You've got him in a $5000 superfecta and then there are refunds on all wagers because your horse broke during the race?

I agree, we would see an increase of 25% or more  of horses going off stride due to bets made and horses
that will not be in the money. 

If you think that there are delays now when Balmoral is blading the track, wait for the delays that would occur after each race to "recalculate and redistribute" the proper pools and payoffs after the pepetual replays would
occur to determine which horses should have their wagers returned.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 03:18:18 PM »

C'mon, refund money if a horse breaks during the race?  We're getting a little silly with the daily debate questions here.  Could you just imagine if you have your horse 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in Superfectas, the horse breaks at some point during the race and comes back to finish 3rd?.  You've got him in a $5000 superfecta and then there are refunds on all wagers because your horse broke during the race?

I agree, we would see an increase of 25% or more  of horses going off stride due to bets made and horses
that will not be in the money. 

If you think that there are delays now when Balmoral is blading the track, wait for the delays that would occur after each race to "recalculate and redistribute" the proper pools and payoffs after the pepetual replays would
occur to determine which horses should have their wagers returned.

It HAS to be a recall.  If the race is run, chalk it up as a mistake, and it's final.

However, I don't think it's fair to owners, drivers, and gamblers if their "steed" is eliminated before the bell even sounds.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
bowserkat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 03:21:59 PM »

maroon Too bad if your animal breaks. In the long run, you will profit as much, or more, then you lose.
Terry Hunt

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 05:17:36 PM »

Joe,

By the end of the year, this question won't make your Top Ten list...nonetheless there was still an exchange of opinions.  Keep up the good work.

Terry Hunt
bettor2belucky

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 08:31:43 PM »

I agree with Mike Rocco, 2nd break before gate rolls and the horse is scratched and has to requalify.

Bettor

"A government big enough to give you everything you want,is a government big enough to take away everything you have."  Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the President I can afford better." Barack Hussein Obama
LVd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 08:36:25 PM »

Sometimes you get your horse fired up scoring, so that you can leave on out of there and some schlep makes a break. Now you have a recall???   NO WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Les Moore

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 01:00:24 AM »

I say no refunds for horses breaking. What i'm in favor for is a refund for any horse in any race where a horse was DQ'ed for any illegal substance. If you have a losing ticket on such a race, the track should refund your bet because the race was a fraud. The track in turn could get the money back from whoever defrauded the bettor.
thebigm

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 01:10:17 AM »

Definately no refund for breakers.  I do believe that there should be a recall if a horse breaks before the start as is was in the past. In Canada they have a fair start pole and if the horse is behind this point when the gate opens you get a refund...you would never see this in Chicago...

I sure miss the good 'ol days!!
Believeabilly

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 01:54:38 AM »

Definitly not if your stuped enouh to bet breakers than it shouold be your loss remember "caviar emptored" let the buyer beware
off stride

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 06:45:06 AM »

Definitly not if your stuped enouh to bet breakers than it shouold be your loss remember "caviar emptored" let the buyer beware

i just love your hillybilly latin...caviar emptored...let the buyer beware that them sturgeon eggs be walleye eggs instead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: