Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 23, 2014, 08:52:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips for A New Announcer  (Read 1186 times)
Chip Dauber

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2006, 12:26:46 AM »

Hello everybody! I was seriously considering a career change. I spoke about it with my wife and I am going to attempt to get into the world of race announcing. I think I can make a smooth transition from Bingo calling to horse race announcing. I was hoping that you people can give me some tips on how to make a smooth transition, and maybe some names as to who might be able to help me get involved in announcing at some fairs. Thank you in advance, and I hope to hear from alot of you.

Report to moderator   Logged
off stride

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 07:05:08 AM »

chip..mr smiley has all the tips you need...

http://www.funsilly.com/mrsmiley.shtml
Fillmore Bear

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 10:18:34 AM »

You can probably get the Balmoral job if you offer to work CHEAP.Tell JJ you'll work for $50 a card.You'll never get a raise but if you become an ok caller you can eventually work elsewhere for adecent salary.
Mike Bozich

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 03:00:01 PM »

1. Be Yourself
2. Don't let critics bring you down, learn from them! They can be your most valuable tool.
3. Practice
4. Become friendly with other announcers. Most (including myself) will be glad to help in any way we could.

The most important advice I can give is do not alienate yourself from the racing fans. Take an hour before the races and roam the grandstands and say hello, introduce yourself, and tell everyone if there is anything you can do feel free to ask. Take people up to the booth if they want, show them whatever they want to see, especially newcomers. Harness racing has alienated itself from the fans for too long, and its time to open our doors and let them in again.
Terry Hunt

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 04:30:14 PM »

Mike,

I don't know whether, or not, that was a serious question - but your advice would be useful to anyone considering a career as a race announcer.

I have listened to tens of thousands of calls over the years, and I have my own personal preferences for qualities that I admire in an announcer, and others that I don't appreciate.

Your first two suggestions are both valid, but it must be hard to keep them in balance.  I would add a couple of other thoughts. 

1.There is no announcer out there that makes every fan happy, every race, every night. 
2.I also think accuracy should win out over entertainment from the announcer's booth. 
3.Race movement oftens occurs very quickly, so in order to be timely a good announcer must anticipate what is likely to happen...but not to the point where the call precedes the action.

Terry Hunt
Michigan Dale

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 08:46:11 PM »

Dear old dad said to me many years ago that a race fan ought to be able to close their eyes and listen to the words of the announcer painting a vivid and accurate picture of what's taking place on the track during the course of a race.   The fan ought to be able to 'visualize' the whole dang thing just by hearing the carefully crafted words of the announcer.   Dad used to say that even the longshots or the breakers or the trailers had their supporters and as such all horses deserve to be called properly and if you had a bet on the race you should know where your horse was at, how it was performing (moving up, blocked in, shuffled, going backwards, etc.).   Imagine having no sight - just listening - then make the call as to who is a great announcer. 
potrasalve

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 10:18:00 AM »

And dear old dad at the time was probably kneeling next to a radio. It's a new world and for announcers to run through a field 3 times during a race just to make sure you call everyones horse leaves and announcer searching for someone who is last and beaten soundly instead of up front action.

And who ever came up with that ridiculous comparison of closing your eyes and picture in your mind and if you can see the race unfold. then you are listening to a good announcer. 

Who do you know would even bother with that now. Case in point Greg Young people say he is a good announcer. Your watching the race with your eyes open and finishes with the line and there they are. Which is horrendous. And  there are people who defend him as good. Or the human comic lederman. Who is an insult to the race itself with his ridiculous comments during a race. People with an IQ of 75 find him amusing and there are plenty of them at a racetrack.
Mike Bozich

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 12:26:14 PM »

And dear old dad at the time was probably kneeling next to a radio. It's a new world and for announcers to run through a field 3 times during a race just to make sure you call everyones horse leaves and announcer searching for someone who is last and beaten soundly instead of up front action.

And who ever came up with that ridiculous comparison of closing your eyes and picture in your mind and if you can see the race unfold. then you are listening to a good announcer. 

Who do you know would even bother with that now. Case in point Greg Young people say he is a good announcer. Your watching the race with your eyes open and finishes with the line and there they are. Which is horrendous. And  there are people who defend him as good. Or the human comic lederman. Who is an insult to the race itself with his ridiculous comments during a race. People with an IQ of 75 find him amusing and there are plenty of them at a racetrack.

Potra,

I think there is 2 schools of thought. One is that if you announce to be accurate and accurate alone, then your alienating the new guy. The new guy has no idea what shuffled in, second over, parked while pressing, etc.... means. Grant it its important to be taught over time. If you announce to be exciting and exciting alone, then perhaps you become a screamer and alienate the big bettor that wants to know if he is first over, second over, empty, with pace, etc..etc...

Its simply to each his own. Its fun to debate whos better then who and yes I have my own preferences, but I'm not going to say this guy is better then this guy because..... Its all a matter of personal preference. The announcers I like you might hate, and the ones you like I may hate.

I do have one funny story I want to share from Indiana Downs. I was pinch hitting for Dom one night and the races were over, so I went down to the bar area for a nightcap. This real tall fella (had to be 6'6 easy) came up to me and he said you announce tonight?? I said yes and he said you really are good etc... and he compliments me for a good 5 minutes. So then he says, your a good announcer, but your handicapping really sucks!!!! Then he went on to tell me about the horses he bet on that I gave out on TV that ran last and weren't even close and as he continuued to talk about these horses that probably havent finished yet, he was getting madder and madder and his face started turning red. So he finally says WHEN'S THE OTHER ANNOUNCER COMING BACK?Huh and I said any minute I hope and I said excuse me and slipped out the back door.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 12:28:20 PM by Mike Bozich » Report to moderator   Logged
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 02:49:09 PM »

Potra,

I think there is 2 schools of thought. One is that if you announce to be accurate and accurate alone, then your alienating the new guy. The new guy has no idea what shuffled in, second over, parked while pressing, etc.... means. Grant it its important to be taught over time. If you announce to be exciting and exciting alone, then perhaps you become a screamer and alienate the big bettor that wants to know if he is first over, second over, empty, with pace, etc..etc...

Its simply to each his own. Its fun to debate whos better then who and yes I have my own preferences, but I'm not going to say this guy is better then this guy because..... Its all a matter of personal preference. The announcers I like you might hate, and the ones you like I may hate.

I do have one funny story I want to share from Indiana Downs. I was pinch hitting for Dom one night and the races were over, so I went down to the bar area for a nightcap. This real tall fella (had to be 6'6 easy) came up to me and he said you announce tonight?? I said yes and he said you really are good etc... and he compliments me for a good 5 minutes. So then he says, your a good announcer, but your handicapping really sucks!!!! Then he went on to tell me about the horses he bet on that I gave out on TV that ran last and weren't even close and as he continuued to talk about these horses that probably havent finished yet, he was getting madder and madder and his face started turning red. So he finally says WHEN'S THE OTHER ANNOUNCER COMING BACK?Huh and I said any minute I hope and I said excuse me and slipped out the back door.

So, Mike, if someone now asks, "Did you announce tonight?"  Is the answer no? Wink

Good to have you!

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: