Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 26, 2014, 05:23:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings Everyone  (Read 1979 times)
Mike Bozich

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2006, 11:00:30 PM »

Good evening everybody. For those of you that don't know who I am, I am the track announcer at Hazel Park Raceway. I have been viewing this board on and off and really enjoy the different ideas and opinions everyone has. I wanted to set the record straight on a few things however.

#1 I never have contacted or was contacted about announcing at Balmoral or Maywood Park. I have a very strong relationship with the management and the horsemen here at Hazel Park and am quite content being 10 miles north of the motor city at the moment. Of course if a better offer comes along I would entertain it (who wouldn't). But for now this is home, and I am quite happy here.

#2 For those who critisize me and other announcers out there more power to you. I have uncles and great grandfathers that died in battle for your very right to call me any name you want. I am perfectly fine and perfectly accept that. Remember however that when you come home after the day is done and your family is there to great you with a roof over their heads and bread on their table, thats what its all about.

Personally I have a whole lot to learn about this sport and announcing. I have a long, long, long way to go before I can even get on the level with a lot of these other announcers. Right now, I keep my mouth shut, my ears open, and try to learn as much as possible. I consider myself fortunate that I am doing what I love to do most, and I thank God everyday for that opportunity.

On a closing note, Chicago has a very good announcer and a very good man in Dominic Polito. I filled in for Dominic a few times in Indiana and management loves him there and the fans love him there. On the very few opportunities I have had to speak with him he is very cordial and very polite and like the rest of us doing what we love to do. I have no doubt that Dominic will be announcing for many, many years to come because he is hard working and dedicated and most importantly GOOD for this sport. Dominic, if you read this, keep up the good work and you have plenty of fans that love your calls here at Hazel Park (including me).

Mike Bozich
Report to moderator   Logged
SUPERMAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 11:20:51 PM »

Great to here from you. Its great to get other announcers to post on here. The Earache only posts on that other site that 2 people read a week one being  himself. Keep up the good work and do everything you can to stay clear of the Earache because he has been fired a few times now and can only cause you and your family problems like he did to others at Saratoga. He has said your just an average announcer behind your back but I think your way better then he is and think he's just jealous of you. Keep up the good work and watch out if Scott visits you at Hazel because it will only to try to steal your job or items out of your booth. He's a theif so watch yourself.
TC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 11:22:14 PM »

Mike, nice to see you make the transition from trackghosttown.com to the #1 forum in all harness racing.  I don't think many esteemed posters have been rough on you here.  On your next post, could you give us your background in the sport so all of the readers can have the tools necessary to formulate an opinion of you properly as an announcer.  I myself ranked you in my top 10 in all harness racing today, so you shouldn't have too many complaints with me.  Racing at 10 Mile and Dequindre has been a spring/summer/early fall staple for many years and with the razing of that eyesore grandstand, things are looking up amenity wise at your track.  If you take the time out to catch up, you'd see that Dominic has a positive "Q" rating here overall.  As you say, people are entitled to their opinions pro or con.  Welcome to the forum and the next time a roadtrip swings through HP, you're welcome to join our crew after the races at Jon-Jon's in Warren for some laughs.   trotter  TC
Mike Bozich

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 11:30:53 PM »

I am from Gary, Indiana and have a back round in radio primarily. I started out by announcing dog racing at the Birmingham Race Course. Came back to Northwest Indiana and broke into the radio business doing play by play of mostly high school and college football and basketball at WJOB radio in Hammond. I backed up Dom at Indiana and did some radio promotions for them as well. Life long harness racing fan. My dad took me too Balmoral, Maywood, Sportsmans, Hawthorne, and Arlington when I was little. First race I ever laid eyes on I was hooked. Harness Racing is my first love and God willing I will be around it all my life.

Les Moore

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 11:37:00 PM »

Hey Mike, everyone from the old neighborhood says hello and the moochers from the OTB want to know when you're coming back so they can look at a program again. Are they doing anything to the new building yet? Keep up the good work and I'll see you in April. By the way, when I get there you can buy me breakfast at Coney Island, Lunch at Louies and Supper at Plush Pocket.
OCEANVIEW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 11:42:59 PM »

WELCOME MIKE, I JUST SIGNED ON TODAY EVEN THOUGH I HAVE READ HERE FOR WEEKS. NICE TO SEE AN ANNOUNCER WITH CLASS LIKE YOU. I HAVE HEARD YOUR CALLS AND THEY ARE VERY GOOD. THIS FORUM CAN BE TUFF AT TIMES BUT JUST TAKE IT ALL WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. I WANTED TO TELL YOU THAT MOST OF THE GUYS ON THE FORUM KNOW THERE STUFF AND IF THEY TELL YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM A GUY LIKE SCOTT EARLICK DO IT NOW. HE WAS FIRED HERE AT SARATOGA BY OUR GREAT GM SKIP CARLSON AND LATER ASKED TO LEAVE CHICAGO FOR OTHER REASONS AS WELL. IT SOUNDS LIKE THIS FORUM IS HARD ON SCOTT AT TIMES BUT 90% OF THE FANS AND TARCK PEOPLE IN CHICAGO REALLY DO HATE THIS GUY. YOU ARE YOUNG AND AN UP AN COMER SO STAY AWAY FROM GUYS LIKE SCOTT ERLICK AND YOU WILL DO JUST GREAT. LOOK HOW DOMINIC HAS DONE SINCE GETTING AWAY FROM SCOTT. NOW HE IS LOVED BY EVERYONE IN CHITOWN IT SEEMS. GOOD LUCK TO YOU MIKE AND REMEMBER. STAY FAR AWAY FROM SCOTT AND YOU WILL DO GREAT.

JERRY S.
Harry Dapear

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 12:14:49 AM »

I used to go to Hazel Park back in the 70's and they had big crowds like Chicago. I tried going when they ran the flats but the place was full of confused hippys. The harness meet was great though.

God forgives Moochers, I don't.
race track phil

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 12:31:32 AM »

WELCOME MIKE ,        very simple you have class !

RTP
Mclock

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 02:22:51 AM »

Hey Mike....I think your a stand up guy,  and being that humble can't hurt.....I wish you the best and you'll never lose with an attitude like that!
                                                           trotter

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
off stride

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 11:40:19 AM »

one person who should appreciate the remodeled hazel park is mike .. he doesnt have to walk the 'plank' to get into the broadcast booth
Chitown Stan

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 01:38:18 PM »

Mike, tremendous to hear from you on this board. Youre definitly a rising star in this business and the advice given to you here is out of sincerity I'm sure. I'll give you the same advice I gave Edward. Stay away from Scott Erlich. Superman is right, he says your an average announcer at best behind your back. Unfortunately for him, everyone knows that you've surpassed him announcing wise already and you can only get better. If Cal Expo would have had half a brain, you would have been their choice but as many have said, they are learning their lessons now. Look forward to chatting with you about harness racing.

Stan
Honest1

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 12:47:24 PM »

It is important that all the partys involved in horse racing communicate so it is nice to hear from an announcer, Welcome Mike. I would like to share my thoughts on my favorite announcer and that was the great Mr Georgeff he could make a snail race exciting!!! Oh how we miss the good ol days.
mgriffin

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 01:12:43 PM »

Mike, it is good to hear from you and I encourage any other announcers out there to become part of this forum, it is a good one. I do not follow Hazel Park racing but I do remember watching a few years ago when the announcer was very slow in his calls, didn't really like his call. I can only assume that person was not you, sounded like an older guy.  It is always good to see young blood get chances. I wish you the best and next time I am at my simulcast location, I will have to tune into Hazel to hear your call. Good Luck!

MG--Massachusetts
off stride

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 01:51:01 PM »

that old guy you were refering to was jack riggs...longtime voice of michigan racing..both harness and t-bred..was there a long long time ... from the early 70's when i started to the turn of the new century... slow yes..but very thorough .. and the same call every race... 'the 2 horses heads apart battling it out for the lead' was one of his phrases.. good luck with a long career mike
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 02:05:53 PM by off stride » Report to moderator   Logged
Mike Bozich

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 01:58:38 PM »

Jack Riggs is a class act and was at Hazel Park since the 1950's. He was the only announcer that Hazel has ever had until now. What fun it is to sit down with Jack as he talks about racing from the old days. Jack has seen it all, and is sorely missed here in Michigan.
Heede

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 04:06:53 PM »

Nice post Mike do not be a stranger to this forum.  How is the state of MI racing is there any good
news on the horizon?

Heede
BIG FAN

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 05:30:24 PM »

Hi Mike nice to hear from you!Stop back often! flag
SUPERMAN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 06:15:17 PM »

Mike Bozich: I attended some races at Hazel Park years ago, it may be up to 10 -years ago but Im not sure, when a horse got loose in the post parade on the track, it was a good race I think it was a trot but not sure. Anyway the horse went around the track with the out rider (must have been a fill-in) chasing him, he went right past the CLUELESS outrider because she was to scared to go along side of the horse and grab him, he went around and around the track with the weekend crowd getting a little restless and tired of waiting for someone to do something, I believe it was Jeff James who came from the drivers room walked on the track with whip in hand running across the track and down by the rail waiting until the horse approached the stretch again, as the horse approached he ran straight in front of him waving the whip from right to left until the horse was right in front on him, seeing the whip the horse slowed down enough that James moved to his right lunged and grabbed the line finally catching the loose horse. What a grab to a standind O from the large crowd. You may not have been the announcer but may have been in attendance. Do you remember this?Huh
Les Moore

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 02:28:46 AM »

Mike B. I have a stupid question for you. The few days I was at Hazel last year I noticed that a Big Herring would land in the infield pond every day about a half hour before the first race. He would fly over the new grandstand at the same time. It seems he has a cult following and about 20 people gather by the fence waiting for him. One of the bird followers suggested that you call the bird's entrance which I thought would be cool. Whats the deal on this bird?
mgriffin

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 08:22:39 AM »

off stride, thanks for the info. He was slow, yes,  but consistent with his calls I agree.
Good luck to your career Mike!

MG
Mike Bozich

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 12:28:03 AM »

Nice post Mike do not be a stranger to this forum.  How is the state of MI racing is there any good
news on the horizon?

Heede

Heede,

Unfortunately I am not into the figures so I seriously don't know if there is any good news on the horizon. If you want an opinion of an inexperienced announcer, I'll give it. The horizon is here and the future is now. We either grow this fan base and create interest in racing again or we die. I try and do my part by meeting and greeting fans and try to get their input on things. The only way we live is through them, so the fans ideas to me are invaluable.
Mike Bozich

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 12:35:47 AM »

Les,

The bird's name is Freddie and I believe he is a resident of the nearby zoo. There are actually people that applaud his entrance which is usually between 7:05 and 7:10 eastern. Call me crazy but he seems to love the races.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: