Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 10:33:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Emigh  (Read 4972 times)
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 09:40:10 PM »

Trackman:

Because a catastrophic injury is a distinct possibility, and the jock would incur a medical bill upwards of millions of dollars, plus the end of his/her entire career.

I support the guild in its fight for more coverage.
Report to moderator   Logged
Scav

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 12:19:03 PM »

Cohen has been ridiing lights out in Cali for the last couple months, I doubt he is going anywhere, he is getting mounts now, especially with the way that colony is. Fragoso would be interesting here, I think he would do well. Not sure about Castro and McKee rides first call for Holthus so he isn't going anywhere
poor

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006, 04:01:40 PM »

Does winning a riding title improve your career? Yesbut for a very short time. The answer to your question is yes, Sportsmans park with steve leving as his agent. As for you you are a pretty average person yourself. It must be nice to sit in front of your computer and ditch people all day. You must have a very average life. He has traveled to KY,NY Minn & Cal but always looks like he has a soft spot for Illinois, Plus his Dad is here along with his brother, that would give reason for staying. I guess you lost some money on Robby that's the only reason you would speak that way. Jocks do get 10% of the winning owners share of first place only then it's 5 % for 2nd and third. The agent does get between 25-30% and the valets get 5% and of the Goverment well depends on your bracket but count on 15-25%. The Jocks guild gets 10.00 per mount to cover health and guild fees. If you do the math (challenging,I know) that doesn't leave much. Morning workouts are free. Have you ever had to pay a doctor/hospital bill for a catastrophic injury? Please give people the repect they deserve.
poor,

welcome to the forum, sincerely.

"Eddie Razo he is one of the best here. It has been proven by an outside person."

He is now, and always has been, an average rider. Yeah, I guess that's fair since he's one of the best of an average group.  He makes a good living for himself and his family riding for a couple good stables. More power to him. But if he's as good as you think he is, why hasn't he moved to Ky, NY or Cal?

Has he ever won a riding championship? Maybe Balmoral.

As far as Robby Albarado's opinion, that doesn't PROVE shit. Albarado couldn't ride a city bus if he handed the driver directions. He is the most overrated "big name" rider in the country.

Finally, you are correct about jockey's finances. I don't know their exact situation. But (I'm sure one of our astute readers will correct me if I'm wrong), I think jocks get 10% of the winner's share. Let's say the winner's share of the purse is $6,000 for the worst rats. The jock gets $600. He must pay his agent 25-30%. He owes his valet a small % too. He still makes more than I do in a day.

Finally, including the pay for just riding the horse, jock mount, ($45?) and morning workouts, why the hell are they asking the racing industry to pay their insurance? Blow me!!!!

I digressed a bit, didn't I?

Exbourne
Drunk fat and good

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 08:59:14 PM »

All I know is Emigh Got Himself beat in the last race today..Cat was outta his mind p1ssed after the race.

I drink,I smoke,I gamble.
What a Life!!!
7/29/05.
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2006, 12:10:13 AM »

Trackman,
Yes the jockey gets 10% for win
5% for second or third
and generally about 50 to 65 bucks for 4th thru last.
agents generally get 25%
valets about 5 to 10%
some of the trainers contract a few jocks to exercise/workout daily - they may make $500 to $700 weekly just for that.
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2006, 12:36:30 AM »

More than enough money is paid overall to the riders, but the overall distribution amonst themselves seems unfair.  The more successful riders with the better connected agents earn the top dollars on each circuit, but they need other horses and riders to compete against.  A true union would represent all the riders, not just maintain the status quo. 

Yes, there is more money on the line to win a $1,000,000 stakes race, than a $100,000 stakes,  than a $30,000 allowance race, and a $6,000 purse for a claiming race in Podunkville (just outside of Regretville).  But the winning rider in the $1,000,000 races is going to 'earn' $60,000 before his required splits and taxes.  How much different of an effort would it take to win the $100,000 stakes race, with a still nice $6,000 going to the rider?  The 6% (10% of the winner's 60%) of the $30,000 allowance works out to $1,800, and the $6,000 claimer purse would be $360. 

Seems those who ride the better horses and biggest races have 1) a huge financial edge, 2) more to lose if they get hurt than then struggling rider in Podunkville.   Even the best rider in Podunkville has more to lose than the least successful rider in Podunkville.  The medical costs of to care for their injuries are likely the same.  But the loss of income is the killer, plus they need someone to rider the least-likely-to-win horses.  Gotta keep your pidgeons fed! 

I can't see the changes in funding coming from the bettors on this.  Can't blame the tracks for being reluctant to come up with more money either.   But I also can't those stuck with the worst mounts to end up paying the same for insurance as those regularly getting the best mounts, having far less of a chance to earn a living because of the others that often are locking them out of the better mounts, not necessarliy because they are that must better - as some have said, the rider is only as good as the horse underneath him.   

« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 12:40:41 AM by Stat Man Steve » Report to moderator   Logged
JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2006, 04:07:58 AM »

I always though that Emigh was one of the better riders in Chicago, if not the best. I don't follow Arlington as much today, but in years past, I recall him doing all he could to save ground and hug the rail, but it sounds as if his riding style has changed. Ediie Perez appears to be a strong and hungry rider. I have never been a race rider, I do some jumping, o it's hard for me to say much about race riding. The one thing I do know is that those riders are brave and a little nuts to do what they do.
poor

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2006, 10:35:58 AM »

For a long time horse player you sure don't know everything, I don't know to many riders out there making  500-700 a week to work horses in the mornings. The only ones that do that are the jocks that may ride a few horses a week and gallop horses in the mornings to supplement there income.
Trackman,
Yes the jockey gets 10% for win
5% for second or third
and generally about 50 to 65 bucks for 4th thru last.
agents generally get 25%
valets about 5 to 10%
some of the trainers contract a few jocks to exercise/workout daily - they may make $500 to $700 weekly just for that.
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2006, 12:13:30 PM »

poor,

How can you comment on what you don't know as if you have verified information. I do know for a fact that there are several trainers here in Illinois that pay one or sometimes two jocks a weekly paycheck to exercise/work-out their horses.
I also said "some" trainers pay a "few" jocks. It's not the norm, but it does happen. Many of the jocks who are on horses in the mornings get paid per horse also. It can be anywhere from $10 to $20 per horse exercised/work-out (depending on the trainer and/or the horse). Figure it out and you can see that even that way it can amount to a considerable amount of money every week.

Stat Man Steve,

You're right - there is a huge disparity amoung the jockeys. I think the Jockeys Guild needs to do adjustments regarding dues payments according to how much each jockey makes. I feel that the insurance coverage issue should come from their union just like almost all other unions. Pay dues according to a percentage earned put it into the "pot" and give them all equal insurance coverage. The jocks might not like it, but as you said the good riders need the crappy riders or there won't be enough riders to fill a race anywhere.
CLOCKERbiggestal

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2006, 01:18:57 PM »

That was a horrid turf ride that Emigh gave the Calcat in the 9th yesterday.

Retched is the word. Torres saved all the ground and Emigh kept his hoss
3 wide the entire time. to win on turf you save all the ground you can.

Just terrible. Cry

Kickers beat one-pacers almost every time.
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2006, 01:53:48 PM »

Wide all the way around, and then had to steady on the turn for home.  Lost all his momentum.  ANY kind of ride wins that race.   Almost 60 year old Earlie would have brought him home.
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2006, 02:14:20 PM »

Emigh is for the most part a timid rider.
P Val is the best  period.
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2006, 03:13:34 PM »

alotta the things being said about chris emigh on here are untrue. watch the replay from todays 4th and see how he willed the horse to the wire first. pval the best? nope, hes still not even tho bailey is gone. funny tho how some will root for a guy like PVAL who doesnt even belong on the racetrack and has been afforded way too many chances cuz of his ability, yet you people come on here and bash a good guy and a talented rider like chris. the guy is winning at what kind of a clip right now, i guess thats all by luck right? LOL gimme a break, stop criticizing chris and start criticizing your handicapping and maybe youll actually cash some tickets
JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2006, 04:30:45 PM »

I will have to watch Emigh. Diaz didn't appear to like going between horses. I haven't watched much of Cisco lately, but when he was in his prime, he could really ride a horse, but he had his issues.
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2006, 05:18:32 PM »

alotta the things being said about chris emigh on here are untrue. watch the replay from todays 4th and see how he willed the horse to the wire first. pval the best? nope, hes still not even tho bailey is gone. funny tho how some will root for a guy like PVAL who doesnt even belong on the racetrack and has been afforded way too many chances cuz of his ability, yet you people come on here and bash a good guy and a talented rider like chris. the guy is winning at what kind of a clip right now, i guess thats all by luck right? LOL gimme a break, stop criticizing chris and start criticizing your handicapping and maybe youll actually cash some tickets

P Val getting on a horse for the first time makes a difference.
Emigh? Roll Eyes
I don't bet on a horse because of who the jockey is ,nor do I stalk a hack riding at Remington
off stride

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2006, 05:21:30 PM »

sounds like chicago is having a case of jockey envy
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2006, 10:39:59 PM »

P Val getting on a horse for the first time makes a difference.
Emigh? Roll Eyes
I don't bet on a horse because of who the jockey is ,nor do I stalk a hack riding at Remington

yeah cuz somebodies my friend im stalking them. the only one whos a hack is you to come on here criticizing chris emigh especially when you most likely dont even watch him ride on a daily basis. timid riders dont win the amount of races he has won and is winning this year. what happened 2 pval last year, how come bailey kicked his a$$ and everybody elses in win%, howcome garret kicked his rear end as well out there in cali? i pretty much know who you are NYRA and have come to expect comments like the one you made, youve been known to be deceitful in the past, especially when it comes to money
lockedinthebox

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »

Edgar Prado=Jockey
Pat Valenzuela=Junkie

melina perez tastes as good as she looks
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2006, 07:58:01 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I will have to watch Emigh. Diaz didn't appear to like going between horses."

JoeMama,

If you're talking about Juvenal Diaz, he didn't like being within 15 feet of another horse for the last 7-8 years of his career. The only reason he ever won a race during that time is because he rode first call for Reavis at Spt and Haw.
RunSuckerRun

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2006, 09:22:22 PM »

Against my better judgement, I'm going to jump into a thread about jocks.   Undecided

Juvenal Diaz didn't take chances unless the payday was there.  I think that's going to be true with most of the Chicago jocks.  The circuit has it's pecking order and any jock that can get a horse around the track is probably going to make more money in a year than I do.  Juvenal had a great gig going by riding first call for a couple of top trainers, raising and selling horses to local owners and stiffing a horse a two a week to cash a bet.  Truly the epitome of a top jock on a second tier circuit.  A professional's professional.

I feel Chris Emigh is following in Juvenal's footsteps except for stiffing horses.  Chris is polite, tries to follow instructions and over the past few years has ingratiated himself to a number of trainers here which give him a lot of good mounts.  Like any jock that has an good gig, Chris is not going to push through on the rail or drive between horses unless there's a bucket of money on the line.  I actually consider this to be a compliment to Chris and what's he's accomplished but I'm sure somebody will take it as an insult.  Chris is on the fast track to being a millionaire (if he isn't already) and won't do anything stupid to mess it up.

Cisco Torres is, IMO, the best rider on the grounds at the moment.  He's got the talent and experience and he's having to prove himself every day to get his career back.  Cisco will take more chances than most but he's not going to do anything stupid to hurt himself again.  Torres is the most physically strong rider I've met.

I think Torres is working hard to get himself a gig back on the bigger circuits.  Emigh and some of the other top locals are riding the gravy train.  They get the good horses and don't need to push the envelope to get noticed to move up to the bigger circuits.

-RSR
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2006, 09:42:14 PM »

"Juvenal had a great gig going by riding first call for a couple of top trainers, raising and selling horses to local owners and stiffing a horse a two a week to cash a bet."

Heard rumors to that effect and had some suspicions myself, but I'm willing to give Juvie the benefit of the doubt--sort of.
JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2006, 12:53:53 AM »

Trackman:

I was trying to be subtle and nice. lol
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: