Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 23, 2014, 06:14:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeders’ Cup Classic – Powered by Dodge Quotes  (Read 858 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 27, 2007, 04:40:58 PM »

Breeders’ Cup Classic – Powered by Dodge Quotes

Robby Albarado (jockey, Curlin, 1st) – “It was truly awesome.  Everything went perfectly starting with all the speed up front. It unfolded just the way we wanted, but it also takes a hell of a horse to get this done. Curlin was there for us every step of the way.”

Steve Asmussen (trainer, Curlin, 1st) – “It’s incredible (training my first Breeders’ Cup winner). It’s all about Curlin.  He’s the one who did it.  (The track) was a huge concern.  I was extremely nervous about it, extremely nervous.  Robby (Albarado) gave him the chance.  He got him on his feet. First time by (the stands), he was carrying Robby nicely and he ran extremely well from there.  He is an incredible horse.”

Mario Pino (jockey, Hard Spun, 2nd) – “He ran an awesome race. He cruised to the lead easy. Lawyer Ron had some speed and I wanted to stay in front of him. I tried to go as slow as possible. When we shook off Lawyer Ron, I said ‘great, we still have a chance,’ Then Curlin powered on by, but my horse fought to the very end. It was just an awesome race.”

Larry Jones (trainer, Hard Spun, 2nd) – “He ran really well.  I was very pleased with his race.  Once again, the three-year-olds showed up.  They’ve been doing it all year.  It’s good to be a part of it.  I was really proud of him. After Curlin came to him, he had another gear and started to get away from Street Sense.  I’ve watched these horses in the holding barn and Curlin looked the best.”

David Flores (jockey, Awesome Gem, 3rd) – “He made a great effort. They were rolling early and I was just taking my time. At the five-eighths pole I started getting after him because it looked like the speed was getting away from me. So I kept him busy early, and at the three-eighths pole, he started going really nice, I saved ground when I switched to the fence, and found the best spot for him and let him roll.”

Craig Dollase (trainer, Awesome Gem, 3rd) – “The plan was to stay back and make that one late run. With the track playing the way it was, it was tremendous for him to get third. We were just warming up for Santa Anita. We’ll win it next year.”

Calvin Borel (jockey, Street Sense, 4th) – “We just got outrun today.  Curlin ran a beautiful race. At the quarter-pole, I thought I would go with him, but he just kicked away.  I couldn’t have had a better trip. He tried hard with me.  Curlin is the genuine article and I just couldn’t go with him. He handled the track okay, but Curlin had to run on it, too.  When I got to the quarter-pole, I really thought it was going to come down to me and him (Curlin), but we couldn’t go with him.”

Carl Nafzger (jockey, Street Sense, 4th) – “That’s horse racing. Everybody ran on the same track. That’s it. You run on it. It was a great race. It was a horse race and it’s over. We got outrun. Curlin ran a great race. He ran a fantastic race. I don’t have any excuses. I didn’t have any going in, and don’t have any after the race.”

Mike Smith (jockey, Tiago, 5th) – “He runs with his head way out there – that’s his style.  This track didn’t suit him.  He was struggling from the word ‘go.’ He hated it.”

Garrett Gomez (jockey, Any Given Saturday, 6th) – “He was climbing a little bit early, but I thought he was traveling okay.  At the half-mile pole, I made a decision to get him out, but when I squeezed on him, it wasn’t there.  The gas tank went immediately to empty.  By the three-eighths, I had nothing.  It just wasn’t his day.”

Todd Pletcher (trainer, Any Given Saturday, 6th and Lawyer Ron, 7th) – “We were in big trouble the whole way (with Lawyer Ron).  He never got a hold of the surface and struggled throughout.  I knew 100 yards in that he was really struggling with the racetrack.  Johnny (Velazquez) had to ride him into position.  We’ve spent the last 13 months trying to get him to settle. It’s not his nature not to run to the first turn.  When we had to ride him into position, I knew we were in trouble.  He just never leveled off down the backside, never looked like the Lawyer Ron I know.

“He (Any Given Saturday) was being hard-ridden to stay up in position.  He was climbing a bit from the mud and he never really got going.”

John Velasquez (jockey, Lawyer Ron, 7th) – “It was a decent trip but he didn’t like the track.  He was very uncomfortable from the gitgo.  He didn’t tug on me like he usually does.  I had to put him into a spot where he was going to be comfortable on the bit.  I was fortunate to be where I wanted to be, but he didn’t want to be anywhere.”

Cornelio Velasquez (jockey, Diamond Stripes, 8th ) – “He didn’t like the track.  It’s like he was on skates out there.  He was well-placed, but he didn’t try.”

Richard Dutrow Jr. (trainer, Diamond Stripes, 8th) – “I didn’t talk to the rider (Cornelio Velasquez), so I can’t tell you how he handled the track. Diamond Stripes just didn’t show up. It was a bad move by us putting him in the race. We had other options. We’ve made mistakes before and will probably make them again, but it was a pretty good day for us (won Mile with Kip Deville).”

Michael Kinane (jockey, George Washington, DNF) – “He did well to stay up. He was brave.  He didn’t go down. He stayed up on it. He saved me.”

###
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: