Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 23, 2014, 11:25:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $2 Million Bessemer Trust Breeders’ Cup Juvenile  (Read 714 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 26, 2007, 12:27:06 PM »

$2 Million Bessemer Trust Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (Grade I)
2-year-old Colts & Geldings
1 1/16 Miles

Friday, October 26, 2007

Globalization – Trainer Rick Violette sent Globalization to the track for a 1m gallop after a session at the starting gate Friday morning in preparation for a start in the Bessemer Trust Breeders’ Cup Juvenile.

The 2yo son of Touch Gold is coming off a front-running maiden victory at Belmont Park, and his trainer expects his colt to set the pace again on Saturday and present a dilemma to likely favorite War Pass, who has won all three of his starts by setting all the pace.

“For all intents and purposes, he’s very good out of the gate and very quick. I’m hoping that we beat War Path in the run to the first turn and make them get a little concerned that they don’t want to chase a long shot,” Violette said. “Basically, it would be a little bit suicidal to ride hard, hard, hard to insist on going to the lead and go head to head with us.”

Globalization has gone to the front early in all four of his starts, and Violette said it will be the best option again in the Juvenile, because he’s never had dirt in his face.

“It’s a difficult decision (for War Pass’s connections), but if they think they have to beat us, then they really make themselves vulnerable to the rest of the field,” Violette said.

Javier Castellano has the mount aboard Globalization.

Kodiak Kowboy/Pyro – The two Steve Asmussen trained Juvenile contenders each galloped 1m at Monmouth Park on Friday morning.  Asmussen also has Curlin in the Classic.  The trainer has twice led the national standings with wins (2004 and 2005), but has not yet won a Breeders’ Cup race.

“These are two very different individuals,” Asmussen said of Kodiak Kowboy and Pyro. “They’re meeting for the first time and it’s because they’re so different.  Kodiak Kowboy is mentally and physically mature and workmanlike.  He’ll be extremely suited to the day and will handle the excitement of the Breeders’ Cup.  He has no experience with an off-track, but with that in mind, he still has a lot of experience.”

Kodiak Kowboy has the most starts of the field with six.

“Pyro is lightly raced and more immature than Kodiak Kowboy, but he’s coming on at the right time,” Asmussen said.

Old Man Buck – Trainer Ken McPeek, who arrived from Kentucky on Thursday, was at Monmouth on Friday to oversee the final preparations of his 2yos. Old Man Buck galloped 1 1/2m on Friday along with stablemate A to the Croft, a Juvenile Fillies contender.

When told that his horses were getting considerable mentions among the media covering this year’s event, McPeek said, “They’re both nice horses. If they don’t win here on Saturday, they will win a big one in the spring.”

Old Man Buck, who was third after a troubled trip in the Lane’s End Breeders’ Futurity run over the Keeneland Polytrack, will be making only his second start on a traditional dirt track on Saturday. He also has three starts on turf, including a win in the Cradle Stakes at River Downs.

“He’s a dirt horse that has just never had much of a chance to run on it,” McPeek said. “He seems to be getting over this track really well.”

Overextended – California-based trainer Doug O’Neill was at Monmouth Park for the first time Breeders’ Cup week on Friday and watched J. Paul Reddam’s Overextended jog over the track.  Overextended is a 50-1 longshot in the race.

“He’s got the pedigree and body size (to be in the race),” said O’Neill of the son of Kentucky Derby winner Monarchos.  “And he’s got five races under his belt, which is a good amount of experience.  The fact that he’s won going two turns is a huge plus.  He seems like he’s maturing at the right time.

“It takes an owner like Mr. Reddam to take a chance like this.  Let’s hope it pays off,” he said.

In nine Breeders’ Cup tries, O’Neill has saddled two winners: Stevie Wonderboy in the 2005 Juvenile and Thor’s Echo in the 2006 Sprint.

Salute the Sarge – Trainer Eric Guillot is hoping to get his 2yo colt back on the winning track after second-place finishes in his two most recent starts as he moves forward toward Saturday’s Juvenile.

The son of Forest Wildcat won his first three starts.

Guillot sent Salute the Sarge, named for trainer Nick Hines who is known around the Southern California circuit as “Sarge,” out to jog 2m Friday. He’ll take the colt to the paddock to school during Friday’s fifth race.

Expressing concern about the prospect of more rain before Saturday’s program, Guillot said he was considering changing shoes for the colt, and, in his best Louisiana accent, he added, “And I think I’ll be wearing some white shrimpin’ boots.”

David Flores will ride on Saturday.

Shore Do – The Chuck Peery trainee returned from his Friday morning exercise with virtually no mud on him. The conditioner said it was because the grandson of Dynaformer “glided over the top” of the track.

“He’s going to like it,” he said of the off-going likely for race day Saturday. But Peery said whether that will be enough of an edge for the late closer depends on whether anyone can run early with the probable favorite, 3-for-3 Nick Zito trainee War Pass.

“I don’t know if anybody can challenge him,” Peery said. “He looks fast. This kind of track, it should play to him.”

If the race does set up for Shore Do to make a successful run to the front, the 30-1 shot “will be easy to spot,” Peery said. That’s because the colt is a flashy chestnut with a a flaxen tail.

Shore Do’s exercise rider has an unusual last name: Zerimar. He was Enrique Ramirez until he became a U.S. citizen five years ago. Then he reversed the spelling to mark the start of his new life.

Slew's Tiznow – The Joseph Lacombe Stable’s Slew’s Tiznow trotted 1m under exercise rider Diego Rodriguez.

Runner-up in the Breeders’ Futurity in his most recent start, Slew’s Tiznow will break from post position four under Julien Leparoux.

“He should run good,” trainer Francois Parisel said. “I expect him to be forwardly placed and hope he gets a good trip.”

Tale of Ekati – Owner Charles Fipke, a renowned geologist who once discovered the largest diamond mine in Canada, named this colt after that mine in the Northwest Territory. Now he’s hoping the Breeders’ Cup winner circle isn’t quite as daunting a task in his third visit to the World Championships (Perfect Soul was eighth in the 2002 Turf and ninth in the 2003 Mile).

The speedy son of Tale of the Cat got a late start to his 2yo season, rolling in his debut at Belmont on July 7.  He was second in the Sanford at Saratoga before trainer Barclay Tagg gave him seven weeks off preceding his impressive win in the Futurity in mid-September at Belmont.

The two turns and the track condition are the new variables Tagg is concerned with in the Juvenile. All l three of this colt’s races have been on fast tracks at sprint distances.

“I don’t like to run horses in the mud,” Tagg said after sending his 2yo onto the track for a leisurely gallop Friday. “But we don’t have much choice. I always like a level playing field. He’s worked in the mud before, and he seems to be getting over the track pretty well here, but we’ll see.”

War Pass – During his time away from the barn Friday morning, the unbeaten   5-2 morning line favorite galloped 1½m over the wet main track and schooled in the gate under exercise rider Carlos Correa.

The colt, trained by Nick Zito for owner Robert LaPenta, will be ridden by jockey Cornelio Velasquez. They will leave from post position two. In each of his three career starts, War Pass has broken sharply and won while setting the pace.

Zito said he could not predict how his colt will handle racing over a wet track.

“It bothers everybody,” Zito said. “You really don’t know. That’s a good question. You don’t know because he’s never run on it.”

Wicked Style – The immediate goal for the 2yo son of Macho Uno is to run well, and potentially win, Saturday’s Juvenile, but trainer George R. “Rusty” Arnold cautions that this is just another step in what could potentially be a stellar career.

“That’s what we’re all in this business for, to have a young horse who can run,” Arnold said. “We’re all looking for the same thing Todd (Pletcher), Kiaran (McLaughlin), (Steve) Asmussen, to find that horse that can get you to the Triple Crown trail. We haven’t quite gotten there yet (with Wicked Style), but he hasn’t taken a wrong trip yet either.”

Arnold has gotten to the Kentucky Derby twice, finishing 12th in 1982 with Wavering Monarch and 11th in 1992 with West by West.

“I’m fortunate to be in a position to have a lot of well-bred horses come my way,” Arnold said. “It (the breeding) doesn’t mean they can run, but it means there’s a chance they can run. When you get a good one and they turn into something, you feel like you’ve accomplished something, but you also feel fortunate, because a lot of good people and a lot of good horsemen never get that chance.”

Arnold raves about Wicked Style’s mental sharpness, but believes he still has some growing up to do.

“Physically this horse hasn’t developed yet,” Arnold said. “He’s a little immature looking and narrow. Mentally, he’s way ahead. He’s very smart, he likes what he does, and he’s great to be around. This will be his last race of the year. We’re hoping that next year his body catches up to his mind and he puts the two together.”

Arnold’s expectations for Saturday’s Juvenile?

“I think he can win it,” Arnold said with confidence. “I can tell you he loves this racetrack.  He will have no problem with the racetrack. You don’t know how the race will play out. Things might not go your way. The best horse doesn’t always win. We understand that happens every day in this game. Sometimes when you’re not the best horse you win too, it works both ways. I have very high hopes for tomorrow and into the future.”

Z Humor – Unsatisfied and admittedly a bit miffed by a work earlier in the week in New York, trainer Bill Mott sent the son of Distorted Humor through a more vigorous exercise with blinkers added to the equipment on Friday.

“He actually went a quarter of a mile and they got him three-eighths in 36 and change,” Mott said.  “He finished poorly in his work at Belmont, although he went in 1:00 (5f) that day, so we just blew him out and made sure he was OK.”

Coming into the Breeders’ Cup, Mott said he had as much or more confidence with the young colt as he had with any of his runners. The workout earlier seemed to temper some of that enthusiasm, but he’s hoping blinkers will make a difference.

“He went over the track well today,” Mott said. “Focus seems to be an issue with him. Part of it was that the other morning.”

###
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: