Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 30, 2014, 11:56:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $2 Million Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile  (Read 885 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 22, 2007, 03:17:45 PM »

Monday, October 22, 2007

Beresford – Trainer Dan Hendricks declared Thor-Bred Stable LLC’s Beresford on October 16, a day after pre-entries were taken, because of an unspecified injury.Dixie Chatter – The Norfolk Stakes winner was flown from California Monday. Hall of Fame trainer Richard Mandella seeks his second Bessemer Trust Breeders’ Cup Juvenile victory after finishing one-two in 2003 with Action This Day and Minister Eric.

Phone Chatter, who won the 1993 Juvenile Fillies for Mandella, is the maternal grand-dam of Dixie Chatter. Dixie Union, who won the 2000 Haskell Handicap at Monmouth for Mandella, is the colt’s sire.

Globalization – Globalization, first on the Preference list for Saturday’s Juvenile, walked the shedrow at Aqueduct on Monday.  On Sunday, Globalization breezed 5f at Aqueduct in 1:00 1/5.  His time was the fastest of 14 moves at the distance.            If he does run, Globalization will ship to Monmouth Park on Wednesday.  Jockey Javier Castellano has secured a spot aboard the Touch Gold colt.            “We’re hedging on entering,” trainer Rick Violette Jr. said.  “We’ll talk it over in the morning.  He breezed very good yesterday.  We could wait at day and run in the Nashua (at Aqueduct), but that looks like it’s coming up a tough spot too and you’re running for a much smaller purse.”

Globalization is winless in two starts sprinting, but broke his maiden nicely on the stretchout to a mile Sept. 30 at Belmont Park.            “We finally did something he wanted,” Violette said.  “This colt didn’t want any part of sprinting.  We’ll see how good he is.  This could be a pretty big jump up.” Kodiak Kowboy/Pyro – The Steve Asmussen-trained duo had 4f workouts at Keeneland on Monday, Kodiak Kowboy going in 50 2/5 and Pyro in 50 3/5.  The two colts are due at Monmouth Park on Tuesday along with Asmussen’s Classic contender, Curlin.Assistant trainer Scott Blasi will travel with the contingent. Blasi indicated that John Velazquez would be aboard Kodiak Kowboy in the Juvenile, while Shaun Bridgmohan will ride Pyro.

Majestic Warrior – The winner of Saratoga’s Hopeful, a disappointing sixth in the recent Champagne Stakes at Belmont, was declared from the race with an injury to his left front hoof.

Trainer Bill Mott said the injury was not serious and he wouldn’t rule out another race this fall for his 2yo son of A.P. Indy and stakes-winning mare Dream Supreme.

Old Man Buck – Old Man Buck galloped 1 ¼m at Keeneland on Monday and will be flown to New Jersey on Tuesday. The Hold That Tiger colt worked 5f in company with stablemate A to the Croft at Keeneland on Saturday, getting the distance in 59 4/5.

“He’s doing great, no problems,” said trainer Ken McPeek. “We’re going to go in the Juvenile dirt race.”

Old Man Buck, to be ridden by Rafael Bejarano, had also been pre-entered in the Juvenile Turf.

Overextended – Overextended, second on the Preference list, arrived at Monmouth Park on Saturday from trainer Doug O’Neill’s Hollywood Park base.  The colt put in his final major workout at Hollywood Park on Friday, going 5f in 1:00 2/5 over the Cushion Track.  O’Neill is due at Monmouth late Thursday.

The colt was pre-entered in both the Juvenile and the Juvenile Turf, but he will race in the Juvenile on the main track.  Jockey Frankie Dettori will have the mount on Overextended for the first time.

A gray son of Kentucky Derby winner Monarchos, Overextended broke his maiden in his last race, a maiden special weight event going 1 1/16 miles over the Cushion Track at Santa Anita.  It was the fifth start for Overextended and his first over a route of ground.

Overextended jogged at Monmouth Park on Monday morning.

Salute the Sarge – Trainer Eric Guillot said he was putting on the final touches for his 2yo colt heading toward Saturday’s Juvenile following a 1:02 2/5 5f workout at Hollywood Park Sunday. The colt walked the shedrow for the trainer on Monday.

The son of Forest Wildcat, whom the colorful Cajun says is “just like smoked ham, always ready and bad to the bone,” is expected to arrive at Monmouth Park Wednesday afternoon.

“He’ll jog on Thursday and school on Friday,” the trainer said.

David Flores has the call for Saturday.

Shore Do – The Chuck Peery trainee is pre-entered in the Juvenile and the Juvenile Turf, but Peery said Monday, “as of right now we’re going to go in the Juvenile. I think it fits him a little better because I think he’ll appreciate the longer distance.

“He’s gone a mile-and-a-sixteenth and I think he’ll get a mile and a quarter.”

Peery, who shipped his colt in from Santa Anita last Monday, also said he’s a “little worried about a rainstorm coming in. He’s a big horse and I’d hate to see him stuck down in it. Plus, I really think he’ll like the dirt track here.”

On Monday, Shore Do jogged 4f and galloped 1 1/2m. “The rest of the week we’ll jog and gallop into the race. We’re fit. We’re ready to run,” Peery said.

Mike Smith, who rode Shore Do to a third-place finish last out in Santa Anita’s Norfolk Stakes, returns to ride him in the Breeders’ Cup.

Slew's Tiznow – Joseph Lacombe Stable’s Slew’s Tiznow completed his major work for Saturday’s Breeders’ Cup Juvenile by working 5f in 58 4/5 in company over the main track at Keeneland on Monday morning.

“He breezed very good this morning,” trainer Francois Parisel said of the colt’s first work since finishing second in the Oct. 6 Breeders’ Futurity at Keeneland.

Julien Leparoux, who has ridden Slew’s Tiznow in all of the colt’s starts, was aboard for the work and will ride Saturday.

Parisel said Slew’s Tiznow is scheduled to leave Keeneland for Monmouth Park on Tuesday.

Tale of Ekati – The improving son of Tale of the Cat had a speedy workout for 4f Monday at Belmont Park, a move that wrankled trainer Barclay Tagg a bit.

“He went way too fast,” said Tagg, who has saddled three previous Cup runners but is still seeking his first victory. “I don’t know exactly what it was, but I had him under 46 (actually 45 3/5 seconds). We’ll just take it easy with him the rest of the week.”

Tale of Ekati was second in the Sanford at Saratoga after breaking his maiden on July 7 in his debut. He won the Futurity at Belmont in his most recent start on Sept. 15.

Eibar Coa, who was aboard for Monday’s work, will ride in the Juvenile. He’s been aboard for two of the colt’s three starts.

Texas Fever – see Juvenile Turf

War Pass – Robert LaPenta’s unbeaten winner of the Champagne, galloped 1½m over the Oklahoma training track at Saratoga Monday morning.

“Everything is good,” said trainer Nick Zito. “I’m happy with him.”

War Pass is scheduled to be shipped from Saratoga to Monmouth Park on Wednesday.

Cornelio Velasquez will ride the Cherokee Run colt Saturday in the Juvenile.

Wicked Style – Trainer Rusty Arnold is “cautiously optimistic” about his chances to win Saturday’s Breeders’ Cup Juvenile with his undefeated son of Macho Uno.

“He hasn’t missed a beat since the first time I laid eyes on him in April, but we have some hurdles to overcome on Saturday,” Arnold explained.

“He’s never run on a conventional dirt track, and back in 21 days is quicker than I’d prefer. It was 90 degrees at Keeneland the day he won the Breeders’ Futurity, and he did come back tired. I can say that he’s done great since then, and we know we’re bringing a good horse up there (to Monmouth Park).”

With Juvenile jockey Robby Albarado aboard, Wicked Style worked on Saturday at Keeneland, logging 5f in 1:00 4/5 in a move Arnold deemed as “exceptional.”

“Our horse has a high cruising speed, but has no problem rating,” Arnold said. “We should be in the first flight (on Saturday), but the strategy will be left up to the rider. Robby has pushed the right buttons all year.”       Z Humor – Sent off at odds of 35-1 in the Champagne at Belmont Park three weeks ago before finishing third, the son of Distorted Humor may be one of the overlooked 2 yo in the Juvenile trying two turns for the first time.

“He’s doing well,’’ trainer Bill Mott said of the $240,000 yearling owned by Zayat Stables. Z Humor worked among a string of Mott Cup hopefuls on Monday at Belmont Park, breezing 5f in 1:00.  Kent Desormeaux  will be aboard again.

Z Humor is expected to arrive at Monmouth Park on Tuesday morning.

###
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: