Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 27, 2014, 01:34:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today's Daily Debate question for Wednesday January, 11th  (Read 9170 times)
John Doe

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2006, 10:50:26 AM »

Today's question should get a great response from BTW posters young and old. 

The question for today is:

Who is/was your favorite harness horse, trainer, and driver? Illinois-based horses, drivers and trainers only, please.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
(A UNLV Runnin Rebel For Life)
Report to moderator   Logged

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 10:54:59 AM »

I'll start out by saying:

Favorite horse: Hail to all

Favorite driver:  Jerry Graham

Favorite trainer: Aubrey Petty and Dan/Scott Nance

My selections really show my age! Hail to all was a Phil Milburn FFA'er that raced in the late 60's early 70's. Enjoy, and your opinions are appreciated.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN
medic_61353

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 10:58:15 AM »

Favorite Horse: Triggerfish !!!
Dan Nance

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 11:11:15 AM »

I had 2 farorite trainers. One was Mike Borys because he sold me " Sir Render " unraced and only in 2:12 for $12,000 cash money because he had " Hothead " and didn't think " Sir " was much stock. They were both 3 yr olds. Sir Render went on to beat " Hothead " twice that year and was the only Illinois bred to defeat " Hothead " twice.

My other favorite trainer was " Red " Buch. Red was a great guy who would help anyone out. When Red told you you could bet his horse that night you could be damn sure he would win or get beat in a photo by a nose.

One of my favorite horses was " Jim King.. Bob " Cannonball " Decker would drive the big horse like a Cadilac.
BigMikeRocco

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 11:15:12 AM »

Joe, for me it would have to be the mare Pretty Direct, trained and driven by Delvin Insko.  Had my best scores with her. Think how great she was carrying Ole around for as long as she did. Trainer would be one of your good pals, God Rest His Soul, Don Brooks, made  some big ones with Donny.
off stride

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 11:17:41 AM »

mini me... it was couple of years ago in some sort of elimination race.. a bridgejumper had put over 200 grand on him to show.. i naturally put  show money on all the rest.. mini me made a break leaving .. my heart beat rose .. visions of ch cha chiiinngggg were in my eyes .. but alas.. magee got the horse back together and got third bye a nose .. it was one of the best coulda shoulda woulda's that i ever had
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 11:19:37 AM by off stride » Report to moderator   Logged
icare

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 11:27:06 AM »

Time Shadow is my horse and jesse willis
Dan Nance

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 11:30:57 AM »

Time Shadow is my horse and jesse willis

What ever happened to his trainer Rick Pearson?
mgriffin

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 11:31:57 AM »

Why does it have to be Illinois based? You have just pushed away people from participating. That is kind of selfish don't you think? Or were you planning to do a question for all of the states that have Harness racing?

My favorite thing about Illinois is that it produced Eric Ledford as a driver. Thank you Balmoral and Maywood for helping Eric fine tune his skills and bring it to the Capitol of Harness Racing>>The Meadowlands Racetrack. The rest of the state of IL,  I have nothing to say about that at this point in time.  Cheesy

MG
burton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 11:34:04 AM »

Driver - Dave Magee

Trainer - Jerry/Tom Graham

Horse - Tauras Bomber
off stride

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 11:38:43 AM »

Why does it have to be Illinois based? You have just pushed away people from participating. That is kind of selfish don't you think?

MG

its because many of the illinois horse people never see anything outside the state .. unless it is via simulcasting .. it leads to illinois horse racing being over rated
icare

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 11:47:47 AM »

Why does it have to be Illinois based? You have just pushed away people from participating. That is kind of selfish don't you think? Or were you planning to do a question for all of the states that have Harness racing?

My favorite thing about Illinois is that it produced Eric Ledford as a driver. Thank you Balmoral and Maywood for helping Eric fine tune his skills and bring it to the Capitol of Harness Racing>>The Meadowlands Racetrack. The rest of the state of IL,  I have nothing to say about that at this point in time.  Cheesy

MG

Eric is a very good drive, He did come from Ohio to IL now hes big time in NJ way to go EL.
Dan Nance

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 11:53:27 AM »

I'll start out by saying:

Favorite horse: Hail to all

Favorite driver:  Jerry Graham

Favorite trainer: Aubrey Petty and Dan/Scott Nance

My selections really show my age! Hail to all was a Phil Milburn FFA'er that raced in the late 60's early 70's. Enjoy, and your opinions are appreciated.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

Joe

Come on now, why would SN and I be your favorite trainers? You'll need to explain that one to the viewers of this forum. After all we are only remembered as juice guys according to Rick Dane and few others and Doc told Joe B. we have integrity issuses. Besides, SN was only around 4 short years from 1980 to 1984 when Dennis Bowen decided to put an end to his career. SN didn't return until 1996 and then only trained until 1997 in Chicago before he QUIT because he couldn't stand the business in Chicago anymore to move to Vegas and race some horses at Los Al.

Yes, I was around all those years SN was gone but I never had no " big time " owners and I never had any top dollar horses to work with. The only good horses I had were the ones I took from cheap claimers and made into FFA'ers or high class claimers. Am I your favorite trainer because I was labled " Chicago's Claiming King " back in the late 80's? Or was it because SN and I were TRUE horseman who could turn rats into race horses like we did with so many? Or was it because we were liked by many people and we were fun to be around and brought excitement to the game? Yes, Joe I'm really wondering why you said Scott and Dan Nance were your favorite trainers.

Yours Truly

john

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 12:00:22 PM »

trainer- any of the puppet trainers that illinois lets use
driver- on a serious note, andy miller is the man. but there are some great ones out of illinois.
favorite horse- black shadow, overall - falcon seelster
favorite track- sportsmans park
favorite ownership entity in illinois- NONE
IRB MEMBER- ANYONE OF JOHNSTONS COUSINS
icare

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 12:03:20 PM »

Joe

Come on now, why would SN and I be your favorite trainers? You'll need to explain that one to the viewers of this forum. After all we are only remembered as juice guys according to Rick Dane and few others and Doc told Joe B. we have integrity issuses. Besides, SN was only around 4 short years from 1980 to 1984 when Dennis Bowen decided to put an end to his career. SN didn't return until 1996 and then only trained until 1997 in Chicago before he QUIT because he couldn't stand the business in Chicago anymore to move to Vegas and race some horses at Los Al.

Yes, I was around all those years SN was gone but I never had no " big time " owners and I never had any top dollar horses to work with. The only good horses I had were the ones I took from cheap claimers and made into FFA'ers or high class claimers. Am I your favorite trainer because I was labled " Chicago's Claiming King " back in the late 80's? Or was it because SN and I were TRUE horseman who could turn rats into race horses like we did with so many? Or was it because we were liked by many people and we were fun to be around and brought excitement to the game? Yes, Joe I'm really wondering why you said Scott and Dan Nance were your favorite trainers.

Yours Truly

Dan
   he said it because you took care of your stock you was a hard worker not like it is today call a vet to fix it . You win races with hard work that dont work today
LVd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 12:05:49 PM »

Trainer----  Jerry Graham

Driver-------- Joe Marsh(in his day)

Horse ------    Pacing boy

DLeestable

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 12:22:00 PM »

Burton,

You are a wise man.  Jerry Graham and Tom Graham were a deadly duo.  Tom did most of the training and Jerry the driving. Superb team back in the day.  Look at the years at Springfield when you look at the trotting Championships.  Grahams ruled. Fliter ruled.  I can think of a ton of great horses that came from that barn. Tom could condition a horse I think better than anyone.
Careyscardshark

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 12:25:22 PM »

Horse - Loyal Opposition

Driver - Tony Morgan and Andy Miller

Trainer - John Butenschoen and Ervin Miller
Petro

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 12:26:02 PM »

Favorite Horse: Windy City Beauty

Favorite Trainer: Vic Pegues
dt2

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 12:30:41 PM »

Sorry Joe

I have two favorite drivers and trainers

Joe marsh Jr and his son Ronnie

trainers-- Bill smith and dick kurtzworth

Horse -- wiregrass kerrigan.

Dan Nance

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 12:46:06 PM »

Burton,

You are a wise man.  Jerry Graham and Tom Graham were a deadly duo.  Tom did most of the training and Jerry the driving. Superb team back in the day.  Look at the years at Springfield when you look at the trotting Championships.  Grahams ruled. Fliter ruled.  I can think of a ton of great horses that came from that barn. Tom could condition a horse I think better than anyone.

Hey Donna

It's nice to know that the " Great Team " of Jerry and Tom Graham aren't remembered as the guys who used " Sublimaze " on their horses and that Jerry was suspended for over a year or two. That would be a discredit to that great team to only remember them as the guys who were the ones who got busted for using the drug " Sublimaze ". Like you I would rather remember them as great conditioners not guys who tried to get away with juicing horses up with " Sublimaze ".
emp

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 01:00:45 PM »

Horse - Charge Plate/Lucky Mark N
Driver - Dave 'The King' Magee, nobody can handle one like Davey
Trainer - Doug Larsen

Announcer - Tony Salvaro at Maywood 'shaking the woodwork' with the stretch calls

Best Maintained Track - The Meadowlands
Worst Maintained Track - Lebanon/Northville (a toss up)
US Racetrack - Windsor (there's something about that track)
Int'l Racetrack - Alexandria Park (New Zealand)

Teller - Earl at Arlington (known this man for over 25 years!!!)
Program Man - Sly
Cleanist Bathrooms - Oakbrook OTB

Racing Commission - Illinois Racing Board (they make more rules than a headmaster at an international boarding school!)

Michigan Dale

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 01:14:10 PM »

Ah, Northville as 'worst maintained?'   Could be.   Track was so bad Saturday night that a horse got into a hole and broke down and drivers refused to race, as I understand it, thus cancelling the card after race #2.   TV Monitors claimed the program was cancelled due to a 'Tote Delay.'   

Relative the Question of the day -
Many years ago my favorite horse was a claimer named Without Warning.   Still have a photo of myself from 34 years and 100 pounds ago.   He was driven by Lesley Zahn (not very well, I might add), then became a tiger for awhile for Carmen Alessi (Carm told me once the horse was the pride and joy of his barn), and also Bill Dillon.
I've always liked Rambling Willie (who doesn't?) and my #1 favorite is a cheap claimer named Lookoutforleesa - simply because the 7 year old trotting mare is the first I've owned and she won 8 times last year including a heat at Delaware, Ohio.   That was special.

Favorite Trainer has got to be one of the most underrated and lesser known but if you check his record and URDS #'s you'll find them in the '500' range.....mans's name is Gene Miller who quietly goes about his business with no big names but still puts horses where they ought to be and where they're competitive.   Honest as the day is long.   Has an entry in tonights 7th race at the Meadowlands.....might be a 'longshot' worth tabbing.....My Victory Song.   Racing this horse at the Big M is sort of a 'test drive' with Patrick Berry in the seat.

John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 01:20:28 PM »

Joe

Yours Truly

Dan:

I chose your brother and you because after being around every single Illinois racetrack backside for over 20 years, I developed a great understanding of who the successful, hard working, ethical trainers were/are. I know Scott better than you but did have the pleasure of watching the both of you guys become top-notch trainers in a very short time.  

Dan, I think you would agree that I have been around this game as long as anyone and remember horses, horsemen and people like an elephant. I feel that I am as qualified as anybody when it comes to Illinois harness talk because I lived the life for over 20 years. I can tell you that I know who are the real trainers/drivers, who takes good care of their horses, who are the bums and thieves, who does not feed or give proper care to their horses and on and on... I know damn well that Scotty and you were near the top and impressed me enough to consider you guys as my favorites.

It all about personal preference and you guys proved to me that you understood the business, had a tremendous work ethic, and were always willing to help any horsemen who was down on their luck. I'll say this until the day I die; The IRB has no idea what they did to the sport by suspending your brother and pissing you guys off to the point of never racing here again. The sport in Illinois desperately needs people like your brother and you. What Langley, the Johnston’s, and IRB don’t realize is that there are not going to be very many people applying for a driver/trainer/owners license in Illinois because of the treatment of certain horsemen before them. People like you guys, others and myself are not being replaced with new trainers. I spoke to Theresa Ledford yesterday and she said that her and Rick are getting out. The list is getting larger with no replacements leading me to believe that sooner or later we are going to have about 10 or 20 trainers left. Look at what has happened here.

I understand the economics of the whole picture but when the IRB and Langley suspend, chase out, or harass industry contributors like you guys for example, it sends a negative message to everyone from the fans to the horsemen that there are different rules being established for different participants, and they are being enforced however they see fit. This has been a major problem that dates back to the 80’s that I someday hope will get resolved.

So Dan, don't be surprised by the fact that I chose your brother and you as my favorite trainers because unlike many posters on this forum, I was there to see how you guys operated and your success. Besides being great trainers, Scotty and you were first class guys who would help a groom, trainer, or driver who was down on their luck. That speaks volumes in my opinion and I will always be happy to call the both of you guys my friends.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN