Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 18, 2014, 09:21:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harness Racing Collectibles...  (Read 4590 times)
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2006, 07:30:47 PM »

Y'all-

Does anyone here collect pieces of harness racing memorabilila?  Just curious what different items are out there that you've found, or that you think are interesting...

Best,
EW
Report to moderator   Logged

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
Dan Nance

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 07:36:35 PM »

Are you looking to buy? What would you like?
BIG FAN

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 07:39:43 PM »

How about a time maching to go back in time to the 1980's when racing was fun? Cheesy
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 07:40:16 PM »

Are you looking to buy? What would you like?

I'm starting to slowly amass things, and I'm just curious what people are collecting really.  Looking for a little inspiration, I suppose.

One question I do have -- how does anyone save old programs?  You can't really frame them (because then you won't be able to look at them), but at the same time, you don't want them to just sit on a shelf...

I ask, more specifically, because I'm in the process of moving, and I'll definitely want a harness theme in my office.  Also, my roommate has given me "open rein" on the living and dining rooms as well.  Sure hope the poor guy likes to look at horses.

Best,
EW

BIG FAN

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 07:42:34 PM »

EW I used to keep all my old racing programs from when my horses raced.The pile in the closet became too big so I threw most of the out!Only saved the ones for the last 12 months!
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 07:48:58 PM »

EW I used to keep all my old racing programs from when my horses raced.The pile in the closet became too big so I threw most of the out!Only saved the ones for the last 12 months!

Unfortunately, Big, I did the same.  I used to save EVERY program from anytime I went to the races.  It got to about four LARGE boxes, and I finally parted ways with the collection.  Really should have looked through them and saved the good ones.

Best,
EW

Richard Breth

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 07:52:21 PM »

One question I do have -- how does anyone save old programs?  You can't really frame them (because then you won't be able to look at them), but at the same time, you don't want them to just sit on a shelf...

Plastic tub storage things from the hardware store work good.
Zulu

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 07:53:09 PM »

EW

No dwelling would be complete without a horseshoe over the doorway 8)

Try e/bay, they probably have over 2,500 items when do a search on Harness Racing.
You might try pm`ing Wilderness too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 10:10:05 PM by Zulu » Report to moderator   Logged
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 07:58:42 PM »

Plastic tub storage things from the hardware store work good.

Definitely -- for the "less desirable" programs.  But, what about the historical ones?  That you want displayed?  Normally you would frame an item like that, but you want to be able to look inside, I suppose.

Best,
EW

Tannor

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 08:02:24 PM »

They need to make frames that you could open in front so you could take it out easy and put it right back. Im kinda in the same delima in keeping programs. I have one from about everytime  my g'pas horse raced. They are personal collections no one else would want them. The only program i have that someone would want would be a Ron Pierce autographed program from Dan Patch Night at Hoosier Park from this year. He sure is a nice guy.

Tannor

They're at the gate!!!!
Tannor

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 08:04:59 PM »

Forgot to mention my stepdad has some Greyhound stuff. Keeps it in his office in a cabinet. I just got a late 70's sportsmans park review book.

Tannor

They're at the gate!!!!
TC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 08:12:58 PM »

I'm starting to slowly amass things, and I'm just curious what people are collecting really.  Looking for a little inspiration, I suppose.

One question I do have -- how does anyone save old programs?  You can't really frame them (because then you won't be able to look at them), but at the same time, you don't want them to just sit on a shelf...

I ask, more specifically, because I'm in the process of moving, and I'll definitely want a harness theme in my office.  Also, my roommate has given me "open rein" on the living and dining rooms as well.  Sure hope the poor guy likes to look at horses.

Best,
EW
EW, next time you are back in town, you should go live and seek out Duck.  He's told me before that he's got a bunch of old programs and stuff related to harness racing.  Just look for the AFLAC light in the sky near Maywood or Balmoral and follow its source.   Wink  TC
Kenneth J. Chadwick

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 08:22:10 PM »

Dear Ed:

Not harness racing collectibles.

I have a picture of me in the foreground and of Arlington Park burning down in the background.

My wife brought me to Emergency Room that day because I cried like a baby to see "The Palace" burn down.

I do take pictures of my wife and I at the many tracks that we have visited over the years. Grin Grin Grin

Kenneth J. Chadwick

It's a Wonderful Life, let's live every moment like its your last.
justpacinby

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 09:44:57 PM »

I carefully pull out the staple or bindery and put the pages, in  order, in plastic sleaves and then I put them in a binder by dates.  I save all my programs from specific horses that have raced. 
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 10:04:16 PM »

I carefully pull out the staple or bindery and put the pages, in  order, in plastic sleaves and then I put them in a binder by dates.  I save all my programs from specific horses that have raced. 

That's not a bad idea!

Do you cut the large pages in half?  (11x17 to 8.5x11)

Best,
EW

darth vader

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 10:06:47 PM »

i have 2 programs  one from Yonkers and one from Roosevelt  1952
justpacinby

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 10:08:30 PM »

no I buy the 11* 17 sheet protectors.
Dan Nance

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 10:30:39 PM »

Tom Wendt says he has boxes of old programs in his attic. He told me he doesn't save programs anymore because the horses in Chicago are a bunch of rats and it's not worth taking up the space in his attic.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 11:01:47 PM »

no I buy the 11* 17 sheet protectors.

You may like this website: http://www.11x17.com/

This is a pretty neat idea -- but aren't the pages then out of order?

Best,
EW

John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 11:27:10 PM »

Edward:

I have quite a few old, older, and oldest programs from the turn of the century. I also have two programs that open up like a road map of the very first year of harness racing at Sportsman's Park (1949, I think). In addition, I have Stanley Dancer's whip the night he drove Albatross to a world record 1:54.3 at Sportsman's Park, July 4, 1972. I have some stuff with me here in Chicago but most of my collectible stuff is still in my storage locker in Las Vegas awaiting my arrival. I have this very cool sterling silver harness horse complete with reins and all. It would look great as an office decoration or paperweight. Add many old Washington Park, Aurora Downs, Quad City Downs, Fairmount Park, Sportsman’s Park, Cahokia Downs, Arlington Park, and Hawthorne harness programs with some of the greatest Chicago horses in them. I have a 1929 Arlington Park grandstand pass along with a 1952 USTA eligibility certificate. Many old win photos and programs from places like Roosevelt Raceway, Brandywine, and Batavia/Buffalo when I drove there in 1985 North American Cup. I even have a little wind up harness horse that is an old toy. I just opened up one box and found stuff like a 1945-conditioned sheet and entry sheets from an Ohio track dated June 14, 1947. I have some really cool stuff that I amassed over the years thru buying, selling and so fourth.

Edward, in going thru this box, I found an old VHS tape of the racing wrap-up television show in which jockey Jerry Gallatino interviewed me. Is it possible if I got the tape into your hands that you could convert it on to DVD and maybe even put it up on BTW for the members to see? The interview is absolutely hilarious and I look like a real 70's goof with my tinted wire frame glasses. LOL. The forum could use a good laugh. TC is right when he says to talk to Duck because I sold him over 5 boxes of old programs with many memories in them. Duck has some real collectible harness stuff too. Let me know if you can help out on the tape, and one more thing. I know you're a Vanderbilt guy but maybe you would be interested in some 1990's UNLV Runnin Rebel memorabilia for your walls instead of that Commodore junk! LOL. I have all kinds of stuff autographed by the 1990 Runnin Rebel championship team along with memorabilia signed by the master coach, Tark. Let me know if you can help on the tape issue and take care.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
(A UNLV Runnin Rebel for Life)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 01:30:17 PM by JDakuras » Report to moderator   Logged

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 11:34:14 PM »

Edward:

I have quite a few old, older, and oldest programs from the turn of the century. I also have two programs that open up like a road map of the very first year of harness racing at Sportsman's Park (1949, I think). In addition, I have Stanley Dancer's whip the night he drove Albatross to a world record 1:54.3 at Sportsman's Park. I have some stuff with me here in Chicago but most of my collectible stuff is still in my storage locker in Las Vegas awaiting my arrival. I have this very cool sterling silver harness horse complete with reins and all. It would look great as an office decoration or paperweight. Add many old Washington Park, Aurora Downs, Quad City Downs, Fairmount Park, Sportsman’s Park, Cahokia Downs, Arlington Park, and Hawthorne harness programs with some of the greatest Chicago horses in them. I have a 1929 Arlington Park grandstand pass along with a 1952 USTA eligibility certificate. Many old win photos and programs from places like Roosevelt Raceway, Brandywine, and Batavia/Buffalo when I drove there in 1985 North American Cup. I even have a little wind up harness horse that is an old toy. I just opened up one box and found stuff like a 1945-conditioned sheet and entry sheets from an Ohio track date June 14, 1947. I have some really cool stuff that I amassed over the years thru buying, selling and so fourth.

Edward, in going thru this box, I found an old VHS tape of the racing wrap-up television show in which jockey Jerry Gallatino interviewed me. Is it possible if I got the tape into your hands that you could convert it on to DVD and put maybe even put it up on BTW for the members to see? The interview is absolutely hilarious and I look like a real 70's goof with my tinted wire frame glasses. LOL. The forum could use a good laugh. TC is right when he says to talk to Duck because I sold him over 5 boxes of old programs with many memories in them Duck has some real collectible harness stuff too. Let me know if you can help out on the tpae, and one more thing. I know you're a Vanderbilt guy but maybe you would be interested in some 1990's UNLV Runnin Rebel memorabilia for you walls instead of that Commodore junk! LOL. I have all kinds of stuff autographed by the 1990 Runnin Rebel championship team along with memorabilia signed by the master coach, Tark. Let me know if you can help on the tape issue and take care.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
(A UNLV Runnin Rebel for Life)

It would be pretty easy for me to put that tape onto a DVD, and I insist if it's got you in the 70s get up Wink

Sounds like quite a collection that you've put together.  Where did you find most of things?  Obviously, these days eBay is a resource, but I would assume the best finds come from people inside the game?

Best,
EW

Believeabilly

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 12:19:47 AM »

Thats funny, I have been around Chicago Harness Racing all my life and I never heard of no Dan Nance
bigdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 12:35:51 AM »

Thats funny, I have been around Chicago Harness Racing all my life and I never heard of no Dan Nance
Believabilly, or who ever you are today what is the point of your post?? This thread was a good one and you feel the need to give your reply about someone who was never brought up.

Get A life and let the real poster's get the answers they are looking for.
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 12:57:31 AM »

Cindy knows all about collectibles:
http://horseracing.about.com/library/weekly/aa070397.htm

She's mostly a tbred person, but knows a little about harness too.
DLeestable

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 12:25:55 PM »

Edward,

I wouldn't  tear any program apart. I have sold some for a lot of money and whatever you have you think is valuable, don't destroy it. Not even to display it.  I have sold over 100 on ebay and some of them were marked and autographed which make them even more valuable. 
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 02:55:21 PM »

Edward,

I wouldn't  tear any program apart. I have sold some for a lot of money and whatever you have you think is valuable, don't destroy it. Not even to display it.  I have sold over 100 on ebay and some of them were marked and autographed which make them even more valuable. 

I suppose you have a point, Donna.  It's a fine line, isn't it?  I mean -- if something is for "personal" use, it really doesn't matter what you do with it.  But, at the same time, I suppose you never know when you would want to trade or sell the item, right?

I'll have to think about this before I do anything to programs I have -- or buy any more.

Best,
EW

SONG CYCLE 5/8THS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2006, 05:49:37 PM »

i saved old programs from weekend cards from 70's and 80's up to 86..they bring back great memories of "the good old days"..even washington park...best i have is albatross record at spk
Believeabilly

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2006, 09:40:05 PM »

I gots an ol buzzer that i found on the track when Balarmal was still ruynning flats.
Honest1

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2006, 02:40:46 PM »

I have many old programs, funny I have one from 1971 sportsmans park we were racing for more money then 
off stride

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2006, 03:40:24 PM »

you may have bet on this collectible in the past
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: