Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 23, 2014, 04:25:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 dates  (Read 8686 times)
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2007, 12:48:37 PM »

capital gains have alway's been a tax.  Bush lowered them from 28% to I believe 20% for a short term holding and 15% for a long term hold (more than one year).  There is no way in our lifetimes that the federal government will lower or eliminate capital gains.  It is widely expected that congress wants to up those taxations when the next group of yokels takes office (democrats) to the straight 28%.  Complete elimination NEVER_EVER-EVER-EVER!!!!!!!!
Report to moderator   Logged
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2007, 12:54:34 PM »

My opinion is Congress should eliminate all taxes on me, and someone else should have to pay all the bills for the services and roads and the wars and such. Maybe someone else in the future, if we can just borrow the money and live high on the hog now. I think that's my constitutional right.
edwarren

« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2007, 12:56:45 PM »

http://www.taxation.ch/index.cfm/fuseaction/show/temp/default/path/1-533.htm

Its a GOP dream or factions of the GOP to have a system of taxation in America similar to that of Switzerland. A great deal, if your rich.

I don't know if this will happen or whether it's possible but they don't stop trying.
dogs up

« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2007, 01:14:42 PM »

I am so happy that the Gates foundation helps with education and Information Access here in the states.

I think one of the 33 billion that the fund is endowed with could get medical care for thousands of Children here in Chicago- not Africa, not South America, not the middle east where the Princes and Kings of our good friends in Saudi Arabia and Dubai screw their citizens whioe they live in filthy luxury, along with some major advances in local education. Maybe people should be taught to read before you let them know about the internet.

You rich guys should know that one of these days, the down and out will get tired of being disadvantaged. When that happens, the riots of the 60's will look like picnics in the park
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2007, 01:46:10 PM »

From IRS.gov:

The highest tax rate on a net capital gain is generally 15% (or 5%, if it would otherwise be taxed at 15% or less). There are 3 exceptions:

1. The taxable part of a gain from qualified small business stock is taxed at a maximum 28% rate.
   2. Net capital gain from selling collectibles (such as coins or art) is taxed at a maximum 28% rate.
   3. The part of any net capital gain from selling Section 1250 real property that is required to be recaptured in excess of straight-line depreciation is taxed at a maximum 25% rate.

Not tax-free, just taxed at a low rate.

Bush does want them eliminated, though.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2007, 01:52:24 PM »

A progressive tax rate, where you pay, say:

10% on income up to $15,000
15% on income from $15k to $30k
25% on income from $30k to $100k
30% on income from $100k to $500k
35% on income over $500k

With ANYTHING that is income being taxed as income (inheritance, Social Security, unemployment, gambling winnings, capital gains, etc.)

That would fund everything and reduce the deficit. The numbers could vary based on the need at the time.
mel4600

« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2007, 02:25:33 PM »

I am so happy that the Gates foundation helps with education and Information Access here in the states.

I think one of the 33 billion that the fund is endowed with could get medical care for thousands of Children here in Chicago- not Africa, not South America, not the middle east where the Princes and Kings of our good friends in Saudi Arabia and Dubai screw their citizens whioe they live in filthy luxury, along with some major advances in local education. Maybe people should be taught to read before you let them know about the internet.

You rich guys should know that one of these days, the down and out will get tired of being disadvantaged. When that happens, the riots of the 60's will look like picnics in the park

First of all, the foundation does provide help for the needy in Chicago or anywhere else "globally" for healthcare that meets their criteria. They provide educational assistance to citizens of the U.S. only. Not sure who your referring to as "you rich guys", because I sure don't think there are to many posting here. My suggestion to the "down and out" would be to apply for some of those education funds and become a productive citizen and quit crying for a hand out while achieving nothing. As far as the riots go, so be it, they only ruin their own environment and will only defeat themselves.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2007, 02:30:47 PM »

Who is crying for a handout? Nobody here, that I've read.

The wealthy are the ones crying about paying too much in taxes.
mel4600

« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2007, 02:42:35 PM »

Moon,

I cleaned up the quote a little better so you can figure things out. What do you take that quote to mean?
edwarren

« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2007, 02:46:59 PM »

I think it means like the President said today to paraphrase "the FBI is watching them closely."
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2007, 03:13:32 PM »

That sounds like a warning of dire consequences if the rich/poor divide becomes wider.
edwarren

« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2007, 03:16:32 PM »

What do you mean?

dogs up

« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2007, 04:04:55 PM »

Let's be blunt-- No one should have the kind of dollars that people like Gates, the Oil Companies, our friends the Sheiks, without a requirement to help those less fortunate.

I was in the Hotel Business--I never saw a GM break a sweat.  But the ladies who worked for me in Housekeeping had to clean 16 rooms a day. In 1980 here in Chicago, they were paid 4.25 per hour. Today they might make 7.30 but only because of the Min Wage law.We in this country have become totally misguided with the values we place on occupations. For the longest time, we paid teachers lousy salaries in this country. Now, possibly because teaching is no longer just a female occupation, and because of effective unions, they receive a more appropriate salary.

It is a long standing tradition for comedians to make fun of fast food workers. Of course without them, our eceonomy would be greatly troubled ( and you box seat holders at AP would have to get off your butts to get your own food and drink). The truth is most of us old guys could not even to begin to do what they do, even with our experience and education
edwarren

« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2007, 04:24:32 PM »

TIME OUT!!

It is a long standing tradition for comedians to make fun of fast food workers. Of course without them, our eceonomy would be greatly troubled.

Righty right Dogs up. Without comedians, where would we be?

AHHHHHHAHAHAh
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2007, 04:28:39 PM »

TIME OUT!!

Righty right Dogs up. Without comedians, where would we be?

AHHHHHHAHAHAh

Doomed. DOOOMED, I say. DOOOOOOOMMMMMMED!

Hahahahaha!
dogs up

« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2007, 04:30:24 PM »

Ed--Good point; we need the fast food workers and comedians--Gotta keep Moon employed
mel4600

« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2007, 04:52:22 PM »

Let's be blunt-- No one should have the kind of dollars that people like Gates, the Oil Companies, our friends the Sheiks, without a requirement to help those less fortunate.

I was in the Hotel Business--I never saw a GM break a sweat.  But the ladies who worked for me in Housekeeping had to clean 16 rooms a day. In 1980 here in Chicago, they were paid 4.25 per hour. Today they might make 7.30 but only because of the Min Wage law.We in this country have become totally misguided with the values we place on occupations. For the longest time, we paid teachers lousy salaries in this country. Now, possibly because teaching is no longer just a female occupation, and because of effective unions, they receive a more appropriate salary.

It is a long standing tradition for comedians to make fun of fast food workers. Of course without them, our eceonomy would be greatly troubled ( and you box seat holders at AP would have to get off your butts to get your own food and drink). The truth is most of us old guys could not even to begin to do what they do, even with our experience and education

Now I will be blunt. You think because 4 people get together and purchase a box for $3200 a year at YOUR place of employment that they are rich? Well the answer is NO, however, I sure would like to be and so would you and every other panhandler with their had out. My suggestion is that is you don't like your situation go do something about it and quit blaming people that are successful for your inability or lack of effort to better yourself. Yes I order my food and I can tell you that I leave a 20%+ tip everytime and they know it.

Your problem is that you think everyone that is wealthy got their money without working for it and should give it away for having to much. Your sadly mistaken, in most cases they worked harder than anyone you know. Go ask RLD to give you and the rest of the people who work for him 50% of his wealth. He will think comedy is your new profession.

I wonder why you didn't include George Soros (the tax evader) in your list above?
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2007, 05:19:53 PM »

I agree with you Mel 100% on your last post!  Moon, regarding who pay what and how much in taxes is one hell of an issue.  I will say the tax code/system in this country is beyond a joke, way to complicated for most people to comprehand.  I read an article in Barron's last year where  a semi regular tax return with rental properties was given to 10 differant cpa's across the country, when the returns were completed 8 of the 10 returns came back with differant figures regarding how much this guy owed or was getting back on his taxes.  Now that is CRAZY!!!!!  Lets face it, you don't even have to try hard to cheat a little on your taxes in this country because nobody can figure them out anyways  LOL!!!
big wally

« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2007, 05:29:33 PM »

Here are 22 people we need to deport... How dare they have so much $$$$$$$

The Forbes 400
Forbes.com

One billion dollars is no longer enough. The price of admission to this, the 25th anniversary of the Forbes 400, is $1.3 billion, up $300 million from last year. Find out how the spread of wealth shifted amongst America's heavyweights this year.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Top 22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. William Gates III
2. Warren Buffett
3. Sheldon Adelson
4. Lawrence Ellison
5. Sergey Brin
5. Larry Page
7. Kirk Kerkorian
8. Michael Dell 
9. Charles Koch
9. David Koch
11. Paul Allen 12. Jim Walton
12. Christy Walton & Family
12. S. Robson Walton
15. Alice Walton
16. Steven Ballmer
17. Abigail Johnson 
18. Carl Icahn
19. Jack Crawford Taylor & Family
19. Forrest Mars Jr.
19. John F. Mars
19. Jacqueline Mars 
Horse Voice

« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2007, 05:30:24 PM »

Now I will be blunt. You think because 4 people get together and purchase a box for $3200 a year at YOUR place of employment that they are rich? Well the answer is NO

Sorry, Mel. The answer is YES -- if you have $800 apiece to piss away on BOX SEATS AT A RACETRACK -- you fit the general definition of what the average working stiff considers "rich". Horse racing is an extremely expensive hobby in which to engage, and doubly so for horse ownership. You're not rich? Compared to whom, RLD, or Joe Six-Pack? Who do you think you are kidding?

I don't begrudge people their success. But you can't have it both ways. When I see minimum wage workers forking over hundreds of dollars for box seats at AP, I might change my view on this.
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2007, 05:44:52 PM »

Can't agree with you on that one horse voice, there are plenty of average joe types that split boxes, how many average joe types buy bears or cubs season tickets, One man's rich is another man's poor - it is all relative,  I would not consider anyone with a net worth of say a million bucks as rich in today's world.  That is a typical Middle class person to me!!!  Now if you are worth say 10 Million or more I would consider that person pretty wealthy.  I'm sure there are many people here that would agree and many here that would say a Million bucks is a pretty wealthy man, it's all relative!!!!
mel4600

« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2007, 05:49:01 PM »

Sorry, Mel. The answer is YES -- if you have $800 apiece to piss away on BOX SEATS AT A RACETRACK -- you fit the general definition of what the average working stiff considers "rich". Horse racing is an extremely expensive hobby in which to engage, and doubly so for horse ownership. You're not rich? Compared to whom, RLD, or Joe Six-Pack? Who do you think you are kidding?

I don't begrudge people their success. But you can't have it both ways. When I see minimum wage workers forking over hundreds of dollars for box seats at AP, I might change my view on this.

Well if you think $800 for a box seat is rich, that makes great news! You all don't have to far to go!

One more thing, if you are on this board talking about the horses you are playing, the poor can't afford to even do that! So tell me, who the hell are you kidding?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 05:54:46 PM by mel4600 » Report to moderator   Logged
Round Table

And then I saw her, coming out of the sun.

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2007, 06:11:21 PM »

The richest guy i know on this board is Edwarren. Ever hear of Drivematics?

http://www.drivematics.com/

They ought to return to Tampa and fix the mistake they made.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2007, 06:15:47 PM »

I agree with you Mel 100% on your last post!  Moon, regarding who pay what and how much in taxes is one hell of an issue.  I will say the tax code/system in this country is beyond a joke, way to complicated for most people to comprehand.  I read an article in Barron's last year where  a semi regular tax return with rental properties was given to 10 differant cpa's across the country, when the returns were completed 8 of the 10 returns came back with differant figures regarding how much this guy owed or was getting back on his taxes.  Now that is CRAZY!!!!!  Lets face it, you don't even have to try hard to cheat a little on your taxes in this country because nobody can figure them out anyways  LOL!!!

It's only complicated if you try to gain every little edge. I didn't see that report, but a) it's an urban myth or b) it's highly exaggerated. Every possible tax return has a step-by-step instruction booklet. The problem comes with people thinking "I DO get that deduction!!!", when really, they don't. And so they try to fix things to make themselves get that deduction, have to lie, and THEN, it gets complicated.
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2007, 06:27:30 PM »

Gee, sure glad this thread is about the 2008 IL Racing Dates.   hijack

Arrrr! Blast!  Two days too late! 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: