Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 23, 2014, 12:29:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 dates  (Read 8551 times)
zooropa34

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2007, 02:38:04 PM »

anyone know anything yet? thought they might be done by now.
Report to moderator   Logged
dogs up

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 03:14:30 PM »

I wanted to go but couldn't get away. Last couple of years no results till 5 or 6 pm
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 04:19:06 PM »

Gee, the new Thoroughbred Times says that Presque Isle Downs will be shooting for May thru September next year. That sounds familiar.

Just mentioning it, since everyone seems so scared of them.
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 04:53:23 PM »

http://www.state.il.us/agency/irb/racing/pdf/press%20releases/Approved%20Race%20Dates%20for%202008.pdf
mel4600

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 05:18:18 PM »

Gee, the new Thoroughbred Times says that Presque Isle Downs will be shooting for May thru September next year. That sounds familiar.

Just mentioning it, since everyone seems so scared of them.

They will have a 100 day meet next year and I am almost positive we will race there. When you factor in the training expense, along with the large purses, how can you refuse.
zooropa34

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 05:40:32 PM »

could someone possibly paste the race dates into this thread for me? my only current internet is on my phone and it wont let me view pdf files. also, is anyone else planning on going to haw on friday? if so i was wondering if any of you would like to meet there at some point if you were going. although ive tried, i cant get any of my friends into racing and i greatly enjoy reading this forum as its the only place i can actually talk about racing. as ive said before, im pretty new to this game, only been following it a couple years now, but that first trip to the track two years ago got me hooked. so if you are going you can pm me, or email me at sweetfridge34@yahoo.com hope to see some of you there.
keith
Fiddler

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 05:47:39 PM »

In terms of Presque Isle Downs, I read somwhere that they expect to have about the same amount, total, of purse money next year as they did this year.....the only problem is this approx same total amount of purse money will have to last over 90-100 days as opposed to 30 days this year.  Kind of a teaser purse rate this year.

The bottom line is their purses will not be a strong per race next year.
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 06:10:06 PM »

could someone possibly paste the race dates into this thread for me? my only current internet is on my phone and it wont let me view pdf files.

Paste won't flow right, but html version is here:
http://www.barntowire.com/2007/IRBnotes070918.html
zooropa34

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 06:11:15 PM »

thanks janine
dogs up

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 06:17:30 PM »

They will have a 100 day meet next year and I am almost positive we will race there. When you factor in the training expense, along with the large purses, how can you refuse.
Mel, I respect you, but isn't there an integrity issue with racing at PID.It is already clear that no one there really cares about racing. At least there is a core audience in the Chicago area,(especially when you include the OTB's). Also I see where the PA Racing Board is having questions about the track surface.

I hope you don't oppose welfare for the poor and those who are in need.
dogs up

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 06:38:48 PM »

Just read Hersh's DRF story on the racing dates. Hopefully, those of you who think DD "owns" the board, will admit that the opposite is true. 

If the Hawthorne purse account is as badly overpaid as I've heard on this site I would expect a purse cut, beyond the one they are starting with by November 15---I think they will have trouble filling those January cards. Given a choice of New Orleans, Hot Springs, or Chicago (or Tampa, or Hallendale for that matter)I know where I would choose to spend the winter.

By 2010, I doubt the racing board will have much to discuss regarding racing dates
mel4600

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 09:54:52 PM »

In terms of Presque Isle Downs, I read somwhere that they expect to have about the same amount, total, of purse money next year as they did this year.....the only problem is this approx same total amount of purse money will have to last over 90-100 days as opposed to 30 days this year.  Kind of a teaser purse rate this year.

The bottom line is their purses will not be a strong per race next year.

My trainer there said the purses will be larger than Mountaineer for the claimers and the allowance races will be higher than the Chicago tracks. Its a can't miss for an owner especially with lower level claimers.
mel4600

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 10:13:05 PM »

Mel, I respect you, but isn't there an integrity issue with racing at PID.It is already clear that no one there really cares about racing. At least there is a core audience in the Chicago area,(especially when you include the OTB's). Also I see where the PA Racing Board is having questions about the track surface.

I hope you don't oppose welfare for the poor and those who are in need.

I can't see your reasoning when you say no one cares about racing. I can tell you that the trainers, jockeys and owners care, at least most of them. Horseman will follow the money, especially with lower level claimers. I have raced regularly at Mountaineer for the last 4 years and I can tell you it has been a cash cow for us while losing money everywhere else. I would have been out of the racing business if it were not for Mountaineer. There is no way I can make that kind of money with the higher expenses here and smaller purses. I do not see any kind of integrity problem at all.

As far as the track surface goes, there have been problems all over the country at various times. I'm sure they will make any adjustments needed to provide a safe racing environment. Saratoga and Belmont are receiving all kinds of complaints about their surface now.

I'm not abandoning Chicago racing since this is my home base and I believe both tracks have made significant strides to improve the product and conditions here. I will always race here also as long as I'm able to continue racing horses, however, there is no way someone like me can survive racing only in Chicago.
NIATROSS

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 10:22:55 PM »

I don't think someone is telling the whole story about Presque's racing surface.The only things I have read are all positive.They are doing  a study on whether the new surface has any effect on the horses breathing and so far all the results have been coming back positive.It is also way too early to judge whether the new track will be able to succeed or not.They maybe able to carve a niche with the vacation crowd up in that area.The vacation iseason is pretty  much over after the Labor Day weekend.The only reason they ran a meet was because by law any purse money earned from the slot must be paid the same year.
The Commander

If you come at the King. You best not miss.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 10:24:10 PM »

I can't see your reasoning when you say no one cares about racing. I can tell you that the trainers, jockeys and owners care, at least most of them. Horseman will follow the money, especially with lower level claimers. I have raced regularly at Mountaineer for the last 4 years and I can tell you it has been a cash cow for us while losing money everywhere else. I would have been out of the racing business if it were not for Mountaineer. There is no way I can make that kind of money with the higher expenses here and smaller purses. I do not see any kind of integrity problem at all.

As far as the track surface goes, there have been problems all over the country at various times. I'm sure they will make any adjustments needed to provide a safe racing environment. Saratoga and Belmont are receiving all kinds of complaints about their surface now.

I'm not abandoning Chicago racing since this is my home base and I believe both tracks have made significant strides to improve the product and conditions here. I will always race here also as long as I'm able to continue racing horses, however, there is no way someone like me can survive racing only in Chicago.

Have you always been a Horsemen Mel?

How did you get started?
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 10:42:44 PM »

I agree with mel 100%. An owner needs to go where he can make money and be successful with the racing stock that he has. He also has to try to the best of his ability to run his horses where they will be safe - and that isn't easy. The best and strongest of horses can breakdown on any given day with the right circumstances and/or surface. That's part of the game.

Horses carry so much more weight on their legs as opposed to humans. Look at how many sports pros that injure their hamstring, ACL, MCL, achilles tendon etc. - well with a horse almost any of those injuries are career ending or almost career ending.

Anyway - getting back to the subject of mel looking towards racing at PID - so what? Why would anyone on here have anything negative to say to him about that? Are you paying his bills for him? What is an "integrity issue" regarding racing at PID??? HUH??
Horse Voice

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 10:49:42 PM »

Just read Hersh's DRF story on the racing dates. Hopefully, those of you who think DD "owns" the board, will admit that the opposite is true.

Who here said DD "owns" the board? I'm sure he has tried to, ahem, purchase them, but that is a different matter.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 11:20:16 PM »

Who here said DD "owns" the board? I'm sure he has tried to, ahem, purchase them, but that is a different matter.

It's always effective to argue against a claim that was never made.  Roll Eyes

Can't see why Arlington was "miffed". No one really expected they were going to get a meet that lasted until mid-October. It's about exactly what most people expected, except for more live racing days in January. Roy Arnold acts like the only money that matters in Illinois is what's spent by Arlington/Churchill. Hey Roy - What about all the money that was spent by Hawthorne before you ever came on the scene?

Nice to read that Duchossois is being an ***hole over the Sportsman's barns, too. Who could have expected it?

45 minutes and counting until pirate time!

Col. Roy addresses the IRB:

"Arrrr mateys ... take money away from Hawthorne and give it to us!"
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 11:31:13 PM »

One other thing, here:

"We’re unhappy,” Arlington president Roy Arnold said. “The question is why Arlington should take further risks if the most we can hope for is three more days.”

Hey ROY! That happens when you run just 4 days a week! You want more days, run 5 days a week during the time you have allotted.

"Arrrrr .... We're hoping no one notices we're running just four days a week while complaining about live race dates."

BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 11:31:37 PM »

Nice to read that Duchossois is being an ***hole over the Sportsman's barns, too. Who could have expected it?

Where did you read that Terry? I looked on the main page, and didn't see it. One link wouldn't load however.

I figured he would try to drop a bomb like that long ago.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 11:34:22 PM »

Where did you read that Terry? I looked on the main page, and didn't see it. One link wouldn't load however.

I figured he would try to drop a bomb like that long ago.

It's the last paragraph of Marcus' story. It doesn't actually point the finger at DD, but we all know the truth.  Wink

"Meanwhile, a potential crisis was averted at Hawthorne. Arlington chairman Richard Duchossois’s privately owned company, Duchossois Industries, agreed to go into binding arbitration with Hawthorne this week to resolve a dispute over barns on the Hawthorne backstretch that Duchossois presently owns. Duchossois took ownership of the barns – but not the land on which they sit – when he bought from a bank a debt owed by the National Jockey Club, which previously had held title to the barns. Duchossois and Hawthorne had stalemated over a purchase price, and there was a chance that the barns and their 500-plus stalls could have been demolished while Hawthorne was conducting a meet."

"Arrrrr ... Where's that manger?"

BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 11:39:37 PM »

Terry, please post the link for the entire story. I can't find it.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 11:41:28 PM »

Terry, please post the link for the entire story. I can't find it.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/88654.html
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 11:45:12 PM »

Thanks Terry. I can't see why Hawthorne can't charge RLD Industries a "lease" retroactive from when he took ownership for using their land...
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »

That barnacle-covered foul blaggart is threatening to tear down me sheds? AVAST, ye scum-sucking son of a flea-bitten whore!

Stick it in your maggoty gob, ye scurvy weasel!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:43:26 AM by Moon » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: