Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 28, 2014, 11:16:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When there are enough entries to split a race...  (Read 966 times)
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2007, 11:31:59 AM »

How is it decided which horses go into which race?

The 6th and the 8th races on Thursday must have been split, because they are the same conditions.

The 8th race is a good race, with a lot of the horses having run against each other, higher Beyers, etc.

The 6th just sucks. Horses that haven't run on the turf, bad Beyers, almost every horse double digit lengths back in its last start.

I am assuming this was done on purpose, and I applaud it greatly - they should do it more often, but I would think there would be some rules about it, because you could be ticking off some owners. "Why should MY horse have to run against these good horses, while for the same conditions, I could run against those?"
Report to moderator   Logged
RunSuckerRun

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 11:35:29 AM »

random draw.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 12:44:14 PM »

That's hard to believe if you look at the race. I mean, anything's possible or maybe it wasn't a split, but it sure looks like somebody planned it to get one good race and one bad race.
dogs up

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 02:42:27 PM »

Moon--I do not know if it was intentional or not but I think the result, this time at least will be two competitive races. Isn't that what we are really looking for? With the CCB cabal dominating AP, competition at any level is nice
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 03:49:44 PM »

Yeah, like I said, they should do it more often!

The 6th isn't competitive, though, it's a joke.

The 8th makes up for it, though.

Don't have to bet them all!
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 04:40:12 PM »

How is it decided which horses go into which race?

The 6th and the 8th races on Thursday must have been split, because they are the same conditions.

The 8th race is a good race, with a lot of the horses having run against each other, higher Beyers, etc.

The 6th just sucks. Horses that haven't run on the turf, bad Beyers, almost every horse double digit lengths back in its last start.

I am assuming this was done on purpose, and I applaud it greatly - they should do it more often, but I would think there would be some rules about it, because you could be ticking off some owners. "Why should MY horse have to run against these good horses, while for the same conditions, I could run against those?"

Moon,
I have downloaded the form for Thursday, and both races have a couple to three good horses with beyers around 75-80, and both races have several crappy looking horses with low beyers ranging from 15-60.
I don't have any idea where you think they are so different. There are IMHO two horses in race #6 that would give a good run for the money against the #1, #2 and #3 horses in race #8.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 07:45:23 PM »

OK, let's go to the Form!

1.  Abc Me Win - no turf, last Beyer 49, has an 80 Beyer, but mostly around 60
2. Wind Twister - last 2 Beyers - 43, 50, beaten in last by 3 horses in Race 8.
3. Fire N Dice - GLD horse 66 Beyer top - last 3 4-furlong races at GLD.
4. Babes - top Beyer 69
5. Marimar Light - could just as easily run an under 30 Beyer as a competitive race - last race was a 26 - 2nd favorite in this race
6. Megawattie - no races over 66 Beyer since January - Beaten by Gold Spike in his last turf race by 4+ lengths.
7. Stormy Arctic - no turf - last 2 Beyers 41, 58 - the 41 was in a minor stakes, but there's no indication that this horse will run on turf - 246 Tomlinson
8. Sparkling Sabia - beaten by 3 horses from the 8th race and this is the FAVORITE for race 6 and one more was right behind her
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 07:52:51 PM by Moon » Report to moderator   Logged
Thomas Graham

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 08:45:23 PM »

If you ever want to see how a race is split, be in the racing office at draw time on a day when they are splitting a race. 

Here's how it's done -- Let's assume there are 20 horses entered for the race, so it will split into two 10s.  First, they split all the same-trainer entries (a trainer may enter two into a race, and a third horse if the race splits) and lets further assume no trainer has entered three.

So if Catalano, Block, Asmussen and Pletcher each entered two, one horse from each barn would blindly be put into each division.  That takes care of 8 of the 20, leaving 12.  Those 12 would be split blindly 6 each.

Occasionally if there are other conditions to the race, other splits occur ---

If a Handicap splits into two and lets say the race is weighted as follows:

1 horse at 122
2 at 120
1 at 119
4 at 118
4 at 116
2 at 115
1 at 114
1 at 113
2 at 112
2 at 110

The 122 would go in one division; one each of the 120s in each split; the 119 would go in the race that has the 122 to even them out at two horses each; two each of the 118s and 116s in each split keeps the races even in number; one each of the 115s in each race keeps them even; the 114 would go in one split while the 113 would go in the other; and finally one each of the 112s and 110s in each to keep the races even in number and as close to even in weights as possible given the entries.
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 03:33:46 PM »

OK, let's go to the Form!

1.  Abc Me Win - no turf, last Beyer 49, has an 80 Beyer, but mostly around 60
2. Wind Twister - last 2 Beyers - 43, 50, beaten in last by 3 horses in Race 8.
3. Fire N Dice - GLD horse 66 Beyer top - last 3 4-furlong races at GLD.
4. Babes - top Beyer 69
5. Marimar Light - could just as easily run an under 30 Beyer as a competitive race - last race was a 26 - 2nd favorite in this race
6. Megawattie - no races over 66 Beyer since January - Beaten by Gold Spike in his last turf race by 4+ lengths.
7. Stormy Arctic - no turf - last 2 Beyers 41, 58 - the 41 was in a minor stakes, but there's no indication that this horse will run on turf - 246 Tomlinson
8. Sparkling Sabia - beaten by 3 horses from the 8th race and this is the FAVORITE for race 6 and one more was right behind her

Let's see now..Megawattie won race #6 with a time of 58.95. Marimar Light finished in 59.35
In race #8 the winning time was 59.36 (a tight photo with Gold Spike).
The #6 and #5 horses in race number 6 would have both beat the #3 and #1 horses in race number 8.
So, I again say that it was a fairly split-up race program with a few decent horses in each race.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 03:35:59 PM by BeauNarro » Report to moderator   Logged
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 07:10:58 PM »

No, it wasn't. I say so!

And so does Marcus Hersch!

Two against one!

You are the one!

Tongue

maroon
Pages: [1]   Go Up