Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 31, 2014, 10:50:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TC  (Read 996 times)
Dan Nance

« on: January 08, 2006, 12:25:10 AM »

Did you go live out to Balmoral today? Were the fans streaming past the turnstyles because they just couldn't wait to get to the windows? I'll bet it was standing room only at the track like it was at Hawthorne in the winter for those Saturday double headers. I'll bet the parking lot this afternoon was so jammed that you had to walk 5 city blocks like we had to do at Hawthorne " Back In The Day ". I'll bet there wasn't a table left in the dinning room like it was at Hawthorne " Back In The Day " too.

Someone told me they handled in two cards at Balmoral what they handled in 7 races at the Big M. tonight. I think the Johnston's better start running 14 races on each card on Saturday before they go broke.

TC, let us know about your day at Balmoral Park. I would love to hear all about it.

Report to moderator   Logged
TC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 10:02:26 AM »

Dan, 1st they had a 20 minute delay due to toeboard malfunction.  Then, the graphics matrix was down, then wrong horses were uploaded to it.  The clubhouse started out empty, then a few stragglers filtered in after the double.  It was nice to catch the 1st super of the new racing season ($1590/ .10), but it was tough sledding for value afterward.  I can say that IMO, 4 or 5 drivers are sooooo bad they didn't belong out there under anything other than emergency circumstances.  With Tony gone, Andy at the Meadowlands, Widger, Holland, and Marsh on vacation (?), etc., it was a bit of an eyesore out there.  The cards themselves were an embarassment for Saturday fare, and perhaps they rushed into this restart.  With the success some have had at the Big M, who knows how many horses will come back soon.

As for the evening card, ditto the earlier comments.  At least they made $50 off of our group in seating.  They also made a tidy sum in refreshments as it was 95 degrees plus in the clubhouse.  We asked several times to turn down the heat, and I can tell you they did not as I stayed to chat with RB, the Viking's daughter, and the birthday girl (Happy Birthday Christina !).  The pools all day and night were anemic as was stated by others on this forum.  I'll give Balmoral a C- due to some of the foulups and the heat situation.  In the end, it was a long day.  Dan, it's not the same as when we were youthful and could slide over to the Knotty Pine Inn for a porterhouse between Hawthorne double dips.  At least I stopped downtown on my way there and picked up Mr. Beef for our group.  One of the best beef sandwiches in town and 1/2 the price of a Balmoral "mystery meat" beef sandwich - LOL.  TC
Dan Nance

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 06:10:21 PM »

Dan, 1st they had a 20 minute delay due to toeboard malfunction.  Then, the graphics matrix was down, then wrong horses were uploaded to it.  The clubhouse started out empty, then a few stragglers filtered in after the double.  It was nice to catch the 1st super of the new racing season ($1590/ .10), but it was tough sledding for value afterward.  I can say that IMO, 4 or 5 drivers are sooooo bad they didn't belong out there under anything other than emergency circumstances.  With Tony gone, Andy at the Meadowlands, Widger, Holland, and Marsh on vacation (?), etc., it was a bit of an eyesore out there.  The cards themselves were an embarassment for Saturday fare, and perhaps they rushed into this restart.  With the success some have had at the Big M, who knows how many horses will come back soon.

As for the evening card, ditto the earlier comments.  At least they made $50 off of our group in seating.  They also made a tidy sum in refreshments as it was 95 degrees plus in the clubhouse.  We asked several times to turn down the heat, and I can tell you they did not as I stayed to chat with RB, the Viking's daughter, and the birthday girl (Happy Birthday Christina !).  The pools all day and night were anemic as was stated by others on this forum.  I'll give Balmoral a C- due to some of the foulups and the heat situation.  In the end, it was a long day.  Dan, it's not the same as when we were youthful and could slide over to the Knotty Pine Inn for a porterhouse between Hawthorne double dips.  At least I stopped downtown on my way there and picked up Mr. Beef for our group.  One of the best beef sandwiches in town and 1/2 the price of a Balmoral "mystery meat" beef sandwich - LOL.  TC

Sounds like a very depressing place if you ask me. They can keep it as far as I'm concerned. I'll stay right here in sunny Las Vegas where it's near 70 today and bet from either my home or from one of the many NICE pleasant beautiful racebooks. 
davenchop

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 06:39:22 PM »

sat night handle was 915k,and it was indeed hot in the clubhouse.
cumonwire

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 09:52:48 PM »

I took part in the Saturday Afternoon Handicapping Contest.  Only $10 entry fee, with free program, afternoon worth of free soft drinks, and a chance to win some money.

The track did good job under such short notice.  And I remember Hawthorne "back in the day" both pre- and post- Fire,  and while the racing was great, the facility sucked
burton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 10:10:12 PM »

The facility still sucks.
How did the Carey's ever decide to build that building on the angle it's on.
You can't see the whole stretch run from any where but the eat end of the grandstand.
It's as if the Carey's never even took the time to walk the the building or look at the plans.
Shameful!
cumonwire

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 10:12:30 PM »

I don't come down so hard on the Carey's.  They did rebuild without the State's help like Arlington got.

No worse boondoggle than the re-built Sox Park
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: