Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 30, 2014, 11:18:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another longtime horseplayer passes away .  (Read 2210 times)
race track phil

« on: August 20, 2007, 01:38:14 AM »

I know that most of you members do not know this man , but he loved the races and was a very good friend to all who ever had the pleasure to meet him .  My friend George Sikaris passed away the other night and I was shocked to check my messages and hear about his passing . I had the priviledge to get to know George about 15 years ago when another friend of mine introduced me to him .  George had just lost his wife and was really depressed and lonely at that time . As time went by I started picking George up and taking him with me to the track to take his mind off his memories of his wife and to start living again . I really got to know George well and found a person who was really just plain good .  George was a small bettor and really enjoyed picking a winner at a price , he only bet longshots and when they won he would have a big smile on his face .  George use to root for my horses more than me though and when I would hit a nice bet he was happier than me !  A truly rare human because most of the people I met at the track were always jealous of anothers good fortune deep inside . I guess its human nature to be jealous sometimes . George was the kind of guy that helped out in his church anytime they needed someone to do something . I regret not going to see him since he hurt himself and was in a wheelchair for the last year , but its hard for me to see someone I care for in bad shape ! I know this may bore some of members but I'm actually letting George know that he was the best person I have ever met in my life and to let him know he will never be forgotten in my thoughts .       
                       R. I. P .     My friend you were one of a kind .

RTP

The one good thing that happened today was a good friend of mine
            Joey Demaria paid me a visit today . He is just recovering from heart
            surgery and we talked about the good old times in racing .
Report to moderator   Logged
INTERESTED OBSERVER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 02:17:42 AM »

My condolences on the loss of your friend, Phil.
DLeestable

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 07:16:33 AM »

Sorry Phil
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 07:23:04 AM »

RTP;
Best Wishes !

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 10:36:29 AM »

Phil,
       Two of my most favorite articles were written by turf scribes that begin whinning about the their workload and the endless correspondence and absurd requests from readers that would take an eternity to fullfil.
 As the articles progress, the scribes share with us the passing of a very close friend and we have insight into the emotion of their very sad loss.

One such article by Ken McCarr from March 1976 Hoof Beats:
http://www.***/publct/postbg.html

Hervey wrote a couple of these, however it appears I don't have any online.

My condolences for the loss of your friend.

One of my most memorable recollections is of a Michigan man (Jay T. Fuller) that attended the races most nights of the year and hardly every wagered.
 Jay was a very thoughful and kind person and always spoke good of everybody.
 He passed a young man, however in his last few years he and his brother-in-law shared ownership in a horse (Gratiot Gal). The mare didn't do that well, however it hepled to put a smile on Jay's face and added zeal to his tedious journey.
 Jay passed a young man by most standards, with a disease that plagues many people today of which in the end there is an absence of medical relief of the pain. Such a terrible injustice could not have more wrongly burdend on a kinder humanbeing.

Regards Don
SONG CYCLE 5/8THS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 04:52:14 PM »

phil..my condolences..he is in my thoughts..and man...never bored with you relating about the human side of all of us.. and bless you for being a true friend to him.....the ultimate "respect"..
Goodfella

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 05:05:43 PM »

Sorry to hear about George,he was one of the nicest people I've met in life let alone at a racetrack.

Goodfella horse shoe

It's not too late to change the road you're on.
Grinder

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 08:37:31 PM »

Sorry to hear this Phil.  That he rooted FOR you says a lot about your friend George.   Im sure you brought something to his life at a much needed time also.

Take care, my prayers go out to you

The more you bet...the more you win
Mclock

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 11:25:04 PM »

Sorry about the loss of your friend Phil. I am also glad that Joey is up and running around.

trotter

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
race track phil

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 11:54:12 PM »

I just came home after seeing my friend for the last time on earth .

I'm sure that he is betting a couple dollars now on a long shot .

I know he appreciates the BTW members who took the time to say
             nice things about my friend as I do .  Thank You

By the way George was in World war 2 and served his country
             with pride .
                                 Thanks again

RTP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: