Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 02, 2014, 06:49:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ITHA  (Read 2186 times)
nwaryas

« on: January 06, 2006, 08:54:02 PM »

The ITHA is a farce. I don't support the organization. They scam people in joining. All they want is to up our membership fee, so that they can make more every year. Joe Kasperski makes enough of money training horses for his clients. We the people of the horse racing business shouldn't pay him for his services in the ITHA. ITHA helps pay for the insurance in the backstretch. Stop paying people that train horses for a living.These services should be volunteer. Joe Kasperski is nothing but a piece of pork that want more money and wants to work longer terms. The ITHA is a fraud and I will never support the organization.

Report to moderator   Logged
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 03:36:48 AM »

Unfortunately, anyone who runs a horse in northern Illinois is automatically a member of the ITHA, no one pays dues directly but the dues are paid from the purse account. Somewhere in the area of 3.25% from the purse account is what funds the ITHA which is why anyone who runs here is automactically a member, that means at times the Queen of England is an ITHA member! The point here is that no other horsemen's group pays its President. Why is it that suddenly right after the President gets paid 40k a year Joe and company choose to extend their terms another year or more? All to "save money", then they vote pay raises for everyone! And all under the cover of darkness. Yet we are still trying to see the books...since Sept now we have been asking and still they have not produced one requested document. Just more delays and excuses.
David

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 04:50:50 AM »

If Granitz won the election, would he have refused the 40,000 salary?
ggenie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 12:47:14 PM »

Christine Janks has been elected interim president and has refused the salery.  One of the points that is being contested is the legality of the president's salery at all.  We are contendiing that the bylaw changes permitting his salery were illegal.  Joe has taken the poition that he rules the ITHA with disregard to the board members and the general membership,and the existing rules.  He has manipulated the bylaws to the point where there are no checks and balances anymore and he can change the rules at will, and in this case has extended his term without an election.

One other thing. Don't believe the spin about the advice of an independant cost analyst.  The auditor who said they can save money by extending the terms from 2 years to 3 is the ITHA accountant and has been since before Joe.  When she was asked point blank at the general membership meeting in October if she told them to help themselves to another year in office her reply was "absolutely not".
Parker
Perfection Epitomized

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 12:30:23 PM »

Yeah, and they *** about the Jockey's Guild.  *** is totally permissible, but looks like it goes both ways.  Dumbasses. 
edwarren

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 01:12:30 PM »

Yeah, and they *** about the Jockey's Guild.  *** is totally permissible, but looks like it goes both ways.  Dumbasses. 

Wow, there sure is a lot of bickering here in Illinois. Did you know, the State of New York, that is the People of New York have invested an additional $30,000,000 into NYRA. (Magna's efforts to dominate NY racing through "private enterprise" has apparently failed, for now, hooray.) I'm not saying NY State and NYRA are perfect, they probably lose money and have certainly lost money in the past, but, and at least before NYRA's forum was shut down, you NEVER heard the bickering, mudslinging, etc. that you read here.

NY State has a subsatantial investment in breeding racehorses. For example, Mr. Ramsey was lobbied and agreed to let his stud Cateinus produce in NY. That kind of stuff just isn't happening here.

I often think people at the top enjoy all trouble and division that's created here. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 04:33:48 PM »

Just for the record if Granitz had won the election he would NOT have taken any salary and he has stated that fact as well. Christine Janks was offered an opportunity when she was President for the members to vote for her to have a salary and she refused to have the issue even brought up for a vote. It is a very bad idea to have the President being paid. He already has all expenses paid, there is no reason to have a salary on top of that as well.

The fact is that it is a complete conflict of interest to vote to extend your OWN term of office and to extend your term of office while being paid! The idea of changing the term length has been suggested for some time now, it seems very convenient to now decide to do so AFTER the President is being paid a salary. The extention of terms is not the issue anyway, its the way it was done. All they needed to do was have the election that was called for in the by-laws as scheduled but have the term set for 3 years. Instead it was taken upon themselves to extend the current term at least another year with no input or notice given to the membership. If they were so sure they were doing the "right thing" why was this change never made public? According to them this change was made back in Feb. of 2005 and yet no one was made aware of the change until the summer. Add this to the never ending delays in reviewing the books and documents would lead anyone to wonder just what they are worried might be found.
David

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 04:40:14 PM »

And I will assume he stated that before he lost the election to Kasperski?
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 12:59:50 AM »

Yes of course he stated it before he lost the election, a rather silly question dont you think? He also stated that if the board did not want to change the salary rule he would donate the money to a racing charity.

This is not now or has it been about who won or lost, its been about HOW things have been done. Automatic pay increases, trips, extended terms, n open meetings, no regualr meetings, bad investments, no newsletters, over paying office help, and the list goes on and on. Now that the States Attny. may get involved maybe we will see just what has really been going on. The ITHA has been crying poor for the last few years and yet they are getting more money then ever before, not to mention all the money that was in CDs. Where did it all go?
David

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 06:29:49 AM »

My silly question served a purpose, if he did state it before the election and he still lost the election it would appear that the compensation issue isn't as big a deal with the voters as it is being made out to be.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 06:33:07 AM by David » Report to moderator   Logged
Luc

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 03:02:19 PM »

The problem with the ITHA goes well beyond Kasperski, you have some board members who have been involved for too long. Steve Holland, he has has been on the board too long, is nothing but a house guy for Arlington. He really offers nothing to the board. The terms should be limited. The board needs new blood. I will have to say onething for Kasperski, his stable did not grow while he has been president. Christine Janks stable really grew while she was president, Arlington was promotong her.
ggenie

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 08:26:09 PM »

Excellent point aboaut term limits.  Thersa Miller is another example of a useless board member.  In Joe's own words - "she's my yes vote".   He could say let's give the trailer away and Theresa woild say "whatever you want honey".

By the way - why wasn't Joe at the racing board meeting today.  You would think for the salery he could at least show up.
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 10:47:06 PM »

Can you give me an example of how Arlington was promoting Christine Janks? Her stable grew because she bought more mares and foaled them here in Illinois, then she sold them to partners or outright to new owners. There were more than a few times that AP and Christine were at odds so don't go thinking they were "promoting her" to owners. The fact is whenever your name is in the news and it is noted that you are a successful trainer, people will come and seek you out. Of all her owners I don't think she has more than a few that joined her while she was president. Most of her owners have been with her a long time.

As far as the salary for president, given the amount of feedback we have gotten not just in Illinois but from other associations in the U.S. I would say the salary issue is a big concern. Its a bad idea and there are reasons why no other group in the U.S. pays its presidents. The groups for the most part are supposed to be run by the Executive Director and that is why he/she should be the only one paid for doing such an important job. It has always been my personal opinion that the job is so big now that it should be split into two jobs, one for the day to day on track issues and one dealing with the political issues, it is almost impossible to be able to do both well as both areas are very time consuming and need constant attention.
RunSuckerRun

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 10:53:38 PM »

Jim C wrote:
Can you give me an example of how Arlington was promoting Christine Janks? Her stable grew because she bought more mares and foaled them here in Illinois, then she sold them to partners or outright to new owners.

Christine had an excellent year.  Her partnerships for IL breds are doing well.  Kudos to her.

don't go thinking they were "promoting her" to owners.

AP (Christine Gabriel) was slobbering all over Noel Hickey when he was winning 50% of his turf races before being busted.  I wouldn't consider an endorsement from anyone at AP a badge of honor.

As far as the salary for president, given the amount of feedback we have gotten not just in Illinois but from other associations in the U.S. I would say the salary issue is a big concern.

I have no problem with paying someone what they're worth.  I don't see anything that Joe has done that's worth anything close to $40K per year.

-RSR
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 02:11:29 AM »

Jim C. thank you for keeping us up to date on the happenings.
Luc

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 10:02:43 AM »

Jim,

I am a horse owner. Back when Christine was President, I was approached by a more than 1 member of the Arlington management team about giving my horses to Christine, as was a friend of mine. At the present time Arlington promotes/recommends Chris Block as trainer.

ggenie

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 01:18:40 PM »

This brings up another useless board member.  What about conflict of interest on the part of Chris Block?  He is straight, place, and show an Arlington man.  All those who were at the general meeting in October and heard his tirage about Mr D. says" Joe is the best president we have ever had"  had to laugh.  If managaement loves him it's because we have never said "no" to anything since Joe had been president.  Remember the Arlington 2 Million?
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 01:52:54 AM »

Luc, I am surprised that they would out of the blue reccomend that you or anyone give horses to Christine or anyone else. There have been times I have heard of owners asking Mr D who he would recommend and he always directed them to the ITHA. Plus Mr D never has had horses with Christine either but I do not doubt your word.

As far as Chris is concerned he has surprised me and many others during this situation. For some reason he has decided to back Joe and his back room dealings. Chris usually does not take such a controversial stand on anything in public anyway. But what is interesting is that what Chris said about Mr. D praising the current ITHA and its president is way off base. The only other thing I am going to say on that point is that Chris is just flat wrong and in fact I was laughing as he said it at the meeting. Once this is all over with I would be happy to comment further. Until then just keep laughing when you hear that comment of Chis's repeated!! Oh, and by the way yes it is a conflict of interest for Chirs to be training for Mr. D and be on the board, its another rule in the by-laws that has been overlooked by the current board.
Luc

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 02:59:13 PM »

I would think it is a conflict of interest for a stake race to be named after an ITHA board member. I saw the other day that Arlington is having an Avers Wexler Stakes.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 05:16:54 PM »

I would think it is a conflict of interest for a stake race to be named after an ITHA board member. I saw the other day that Arlington is having an Avers Wexler Stakes.

He runs a lot of horses at Arlington and Hawthorne.  It is good business to keep him happy.  They have an exhibit on the paddock level with Calabrese's colors on display too.  If you ran a bunch of horses, we would be watching the Luc Stakes.  Laying out a bunch of money is the story on how to get the glory.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 10:32:49 PM »

He runs a lot of horses at Arlington and Hawthorne.  It is good business to keep him happy.  They have an exhibit on the paddock level with Calabrese's colors on display too.  If you ran a bunch of horses, we would be watching the Luc Stakes.  Laying out a bunch of money is the story on how to get the glory.

I can see it now. Arlington and Hawthorne engage in a "Battle of Stakes Named for Local Owners" in an effort to win their affections. Especially if the owner is on the ITHA board. The "Team Block Turf Mile" might be nice. For older Illinois-bred turf horses, of course.
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 05:49:18 PM »

The reason this race was named for him is that it was his idea and proposal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: