Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 22, 2014, 11:08:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeders' Cup Sunday Notes  (Read 1376 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 31, 2005, 12:10:28 AM »

Sunday, October 30, 2005                      Contact: Breeders’ Cup Notes Team (516) 328-6017

BREEDERS’ CUP SUNDAY NOTES

Bobby Frankel (trainer, Intercontinental (GB), winner, Filly & Mare Turf, Megahertz (GB), eighth, Filly & Mare Turf, Leroidesanimaux (BRZ), second, Mile) – “It was exciting because the owner was here,” said trainer Bobby Frankel, in chipper spirits in his stable Sunday morning, after Intercontinental captured the Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Turf Saturday. Juddmonte Farm owner Khalid Abdullah made a rare appearance in this country to see his 5yo homebred mare win the last race of her career and give Frankel his fourth Breeders’ Cup victory.

“It was déjà vu, just like her older sister,” said Frankel in reference to a victory in this race over the same Belmont course by Juddmonte’s Banks Hill, Intercontinental’s full sister trained by Andre Fabre, in 2001.

“Intercontinental will leave this week for Kentucky,” said Frankel of retirement to the broodmare ranks and a breeding date in 2006. “The sire has not been decided yet but I guess it will be Empire Maker.”

Frankel also sent out Megahertz to an eighth-place finish after the compact chestnut rallied from a distant last in a field of 14. Frankel said that Megahertz did not relish the off going (the turf was listed “good”) and was surprised that the public bet her down to 5-to-1 while dismissing Intercontinental at 15-to-1.

“The prices should have been the opposite,” said Frankel. He said that Megahertz would also be retired at the end of the year, but that a possibility remained that she could race once more in December in the Hollywood Turf Cup against males, a race in which she finished second last year.

Frankel also spoke of the agony of the feet in explaining Leroidesanimaux’s second-place finish as the favorite in the NetJets Mile. “Too bad he had problems with his feet on the biggest day,” said Frankel. “I had to run him with two aluminum plates. He wouldn’t be able to stand up in his stall this morning if I took the shoes off.

“I just hated to see him get beat after he won eight in a row,” added Frankel. “I just hope it doesn’t cost him the Eclipse (award for champion turf horse). I know people will still vote for him because his record is so good.

“We will clean up his feet and keep him in training,” said Frankel of the 5yo Brazilian import.

Frankel added that he planned to run Three Valleys in the Citation Handicap at Hollywood Park on Nov. 26 and Australian import Alinghi in the Matriarch Stakes Nov. 27 at the California track. He won the two races last year with Leroidesanimaux and Intercontinental, respectively.

Garrett Gomez (jockey, Stevie Wonderboy, winner, Juvenile) – “I watched him train over this track and thought he would love it,” said Gomez, winner of the Bill Shoemaker Award for being the top jockey of the day following two firsts and one second with seven mounts.

“He’s a big strapping colt, and I thought the race would set up for him. He’s got speed but I throttled it down on the West Coast.

“The (Kentucky) Derby is quite a ways down the road but I think he has the capabilities to do it. The farther the better with him. He has a great mind and a lot of room to grow. He’s done everything in stride and I think he can keep going in that direction.”

Richard Mandella (trainer, Rock Hard Ten, declared Friday because of a foot injury) – “His owners are thinking hard about keeping him in training next year,” said Mandella optimistically Sunday morning about the 4yo colt, who shed a frog at an inopportune time and is expected to miss from one to two weeks of training. “The thing is healing up OK and looks good. He will return to California on Tuesday.”     

-more-

Graham Motion (trainer, Better Talk Now, seventh, Turf, Film Maker, third, Filly & Mare Turf) – Film Maker’s third-place finish in the Filly & Mare Turf was an encouraging start to trainer Graham Motion’s Breeders’ Cup Day Saturday. However, his high hopes were cruelly dashed when Funfair (GB) suffered a fatal injury on the backstretch during the running of the Mile.

“To go into a day like that with a lot of dreams, you don’t expect that kind of nightmare. The horse didn’t deserve that kind of end,” said Motion, whose Mile starter suffered an open fracture of the rear high cannon bone.

Motion could only speculate what caused the fatal injury, speculating that the 6yo gelding had made a misstep on the turf.

“It had to be something like that. The state vet said it was a very unusual fracture, high up on the cannon bone,” said Motion, whose gelding had won three straight starts since being imported from England.

Defending champion Better Talk Now subsequently finished a disappointing seventh under Ramon Dominguez in the John Deere Breeders’ Cup Turf, despite the efforts of his pacesetter stablemate Shake the Bank.

“Ramon felt that due to the softness of the grass, he was somewhat unsure how fast they were going and he may have found himself closer than he’d have liked,” Motion said. “The horse is a late-running horse, but we weren’t going to beat the Europeans. They showed they had a step up.”

Motion said Better Talk Now, a 6yo gelding, would return to the races next year, while a decision about Film Maker’s racing future had yet to be determined.

Todd Pletcher (trainer, Asahdo, third, Distaff, Capeside Lady, sixth, Distaff, English Channel, fifth, Turf, Flower Alley, second, Classic, Host, seventh, Mile and Limehouse, sixth, Mile) - There were no garlands of flowers for trainer Todd Pletcher this year as there was last year, but the trainer could count a runner-up and third-place finish from Flower Alley in the Classic and Ashado in the Distaff, respectively. In addition, English Channel picked up a check for fifth place in the Turf.

“I thought Flower Alley ran huge,” Pletcher said. “I was delighted with his effort. I thought for a minute he would kick back in and get the job done. But still I’m very pleased with his effort.”

About his defending Distaff champion Ashado, Pletcher said, “Ashado ran well, too. She had a little trouble down the backside and had to check and lost some position. But she came back on and ran a very good race.”

The trainer said the 4yo filly is scheduled to be sold as a broodmare prospect Nov. 7 at Keeneland’s annual breeding stock sale next month. As for Flower Alley’s future, Pletcher said he would talk to owner Melnyk Racing Stable “and we’ll come up with a game plan,” indicating the Breeders’ Cup Classic – Powered by Dodge runner-up could be racing again at age 4. Capeside Lady, who set the pace and finished sixth in the Distaff, was reported OK and her plans were uncertain.

Limehouse and Host, sixth and seventh in Mile, returned to Pletcher’s barn in good order but no immediate plans were announced.

Artie Schiller (winner, Mile) – The NetJets Breeders’ Cup Mile winner was bright and alert Sunday morning, ready to race another day, perhaps in the very near future.

“He’ll get a few days off, but he won’t be getting any kind of long break,” reported Steve Moyer, assistant to trainer James Jerkens. “He could still race again this year.”

The $500,000 Citation Handicap at Hollywood Park on Nov. 26 had been mentioned as a possibility for the 4yo son of El Prado’s next start, Moyer said.

Artie Schiller posted a ¾-length victory over Leroidesanimaux under Garrett Gomez to capture the 4yos first Grade 1 success.

“I was in the spit box with him, and he wasn’t stressed or fatigued after the race,” Moyer said. “He was very playful this morning.

Borrego (10th, Classic) – Trainer and part-owner Beau Greely said Sunday all was well with his 4yo, who finished 10th in the Classic as the $2.60 to $1 second choice.

“He looks great. He’s cold and tight, and we’re shipping him home [Southern California] tomorrow.”

It has not yet been decided whether Borrego will race at 5 but Greely said “at this point I’m leaning toward running next year.

“All the partners – there’s a total of five – will sit down and talk about it,” he said, “but at this point the main thing to do is see how he comes out and make sure he’s doing well. So we’ll sit down and talk this week.”

First Samurai (third, Juvenile) – Bruce Lunsford and Lansdon Robbins III’s First Samurai left Belmont Park early Sunday morning and was back at his home in Barn 33 at Churchill Downs before noon.

“At this point he seems to have come back good,” said trainer Frank Brothers. “While you always want to win, I thought he ran a hell of a race. He still is a nice horse. We will probably freshen him up and put him away until next year.”

Folklore (First, Juvenile Fillies) and Ex Caelis (Fourth, Juvenile Fillies) – The two D. Wayne Lukas trainees left Belmont Park early Sunday morning and were back in Barn 44 at Churchill Downs before 11 a.m.

Peter Hutton, Lukas’ main assistant in New York, said the plan for the fillies was to winter in California with the Kentucky Oaks as the next major objective.

Gygistar (ninth, Sprint) – Seth Gregory, assistant to trainer Mark Hennig, said the race just didn’t suit the gelding.

“They didn’t back up like we needed,” he said Sunday. “He’s not a pure sprinter. We needed tired horses to back up to us.”

Henny Hughes (Second, Juvenile) – Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin said his Bessemer Trust Breeders’ Cup Juvenile runner-up “came out of the race great.”

“He deserves a little break. He’s had plenty of races. He’ll get a little break one way or another, but whether it will be in America or in Dubai I’m not sure of that yet.”

McLaughlin said he hopes he will get to return to Dubai with some horses himself.

“It’s a great place to go and a great place to race,” he said. “If I could go back with two, three or four horses, I’d go for their festival.”

McLaughlin praised Edgar Prado’s ride on Henny Hughes Saturday as “perfect.”

“It was nice. I’d like to have seen it a little slower the first half than 45 (45.75), but that was still better than the 43 and 3 (of his previous race).”

All in all, McLaughlin said, “he ran great, everything went well. We were just second-best.”
Report to moderator   Logged
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 12:10:49 AM »

In The Gold (Distaff, fifth), Sir Shackleton (Classic, eighth), Sun King, (Classic, ninth) Superfly (Juvenile, fifth) – “All my horses came out of their races in good shape,” trainer Nick Zito said Sunday morning, one day after the Breeders’ Cup championship day at Belmont Park.

Lost in the Fog (Sprint, seventh) – The beaten Sprint favorite came back fine from his disappointing seventh-place finish, trainer Greg Gilchrist said Sunday. “He’s fine. He doesn’t have any problems,” Gilchrist said.

The 3yo didn’t have any excuses, either. “I think excuses are for losers,” the trainer said. “I’m not going to make any excuses. He just got outrun.”

Lost in the Fog is shipping out of Belmont Park Tuesday for a “two-to-three-month vacation” at Southern Chase Farm in Ocala, Fla., before returning for a 4yo campaign. “I would say he’d be ready to run in the month of April,” said Gilchrist, who is leaving New York tomorrow.

Perfect Drift (Classic, third) – “He ran just a super race,” said trainer Murray Johnson Sunday morning. “I am very, very pleased.”

Noting that the horse has earned more than $4 million in purse money, Johnson said, “He’s like an ATM. You punch those buttons and money keeps coming out.

“He only got beat 2 ½ lengths for all of it; beat Borrego who beat him in the Pacific Classic] and beat Super Frolic, who beat him in the Hawthorne Gold Cup]. He has a habit of doing that. If you beat him, look out.”

The horse came out of the race in good shape, the trainer said, and he plans to give the horse a little time before deciding where he’ll run next. “I’ll probably take him to my farm for a week or so,” said Johnson, who has some acreage south of Louisville. He mentioned Churchill Downs’ Clark Handicap late in November or the Japan Dirt Cup as a possible next start for the 6yo gelded son of Dynaformer.

Johnson credited his big run in the Classic to “some adjustments” made in his training regimen. The adjustments amounted to very light training over the five weeks prior to the Classic and a single workout.

“He really only trained a couple of weeks during that time and that’s about all you have to do at this time of the year. I knew he was dead fit, so I was confident we were doing the right thing. It was nice to see that we were able to make those adjustments and have him run as well or better than ever.”

Pleasant Home (First, Distaff) – Trainer Shug McGaughey has enjoyed considerable success in the Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Distaff over the years with three winners and five runner-up finishers.

“The fillies just came around at the right time, which was the case with this one,” said McGaughey Sunday morning,

Pleasant Home captured her first Grade 1 stakes Saturday while pulling off an eye-catching 9-1/4-length victory at 30-1 Saturday. The 4yo daughter of Seeking the Gold, who was ridden by Cornelio Velasquez, appears to have a bright but indefinite future.

“I’ll have to talk with Mr. Phipps. She was a little bit of a surprise to be able to tell you whether or not she’ll run again this year. She’ll either run in the Top Flight ($150,000 Grade 2 stakes at a mile at Aqueduct on Nov. 25) or she’ll rest on her laurels,” McGaughey said.

Pleasant Home earned her way into the Distaff after impressing her trainer with a second-place finish in the Spinster at Keeneland on Oct. 1, when she closed from eighth on a speed-biased racetrack.

“The Keeneland race helped a lot. She hadn’t had a hard race in a long time, and some of the other fillies had run hard all year, so that really helped her,” said McGaughey.

Riskaverse (13th , Filly & Mare Turf) – “She’s fine. The turf was too soft for us,” said trainer Pat Kelly.

Saint Liam (First, Classic) and Silver Train (First, Sprint) – Trainer Rick Dutrow, his voice low but spirits high, was basking in the glow of two Breeders’ Cup victories the morning after at Belmont Park.

“This was the reason we bypassed the Breeders’ Cup last year and Dubai, for the chance to be Horse of the Year this year,” Dutrow said. “This is exciting. It is something you dream of.”

The Classic represented the final race for Saint Liam, who will be retired to stand at Lanes End Farms in Kentucky.

As for Silver Train, Dutrow said, “Our major objective with him next year will be the Met Mile here, so he will probably get some time off.”

Silver Train has won his past three starts at Belmont, and his affinity for the track is one reason Dutrow entered him in the Sprint.

“I took him to Saratoga and he just didn’t like that track at all, but he loves this track,” Dutrow said. “If the Breeders’ Cup had been at a different track, we would not have run.”

Suave (fifth, Classic) – Jay Em Ess Stable’s Suave arrived back at Churchill Downs before noon on Sunday after his engagement in Saturday’s Classic. Trainer Paul McGee indicated that they would look at the Clark Handicap as a possibility for Suave’s next start.

Regarding the Classic, McGee said, “I feel like he ran really good. It’s a shame to run like that and be fifth, but I thought he ran real good.”

Super Frolic (Classic, fourth) – The fourth-place finisher in the Classic was the object of affection from his groom, Jesus Banos, Sunday morning as he prepared to walk the shedrow in Barn 17.

Trainer Vladimir Cerin had returned to his home base at Santa Anita, with the horse expected to follow early in the week. Super Frolic, at odds of 69-1 ran strongly down the stretch to finish just a neck behind third-place finisher Perfect Drift.

Wonder Again (fourth, Filly & Mare Turf) – Trainer Jimmy Toner said Sunday the Filly & Mare Turf was almost, as Yogi Berra put it, “déjà vu all over again.”

“Take out (winner) Intercontinental and it’s the same finish as last year – Ouija Board Film Maker and Wonder Again,” he said.

As for his mare’s trip, he said, “I wish she had been closer early on, but would it have made a difference? I don’t think so.”

Ace (IRE), Ad Valorem, Ivan Denisovich (IRE), Mona Lisa (GB), & Oratorio (IRE) – The five Coolmore runners and trainer Aidan O’Brien left Belmont Park early Sunday morning for a flight back to Ireland.

Susan Magnier, Michael Tabor and Mrs. Harry McCalmont’s 6-year-old Ace produced the best result for the team, finishing second in the Turf. No immediate plans for the five have been announced.

Alkaased, Jack Sullivan, Majors Cast (IRE), Ouija Board (GB), Starcraft (NZ) — The five English-trained runners are scheduled to fly back to London tonight. Lord Derby’s 4-year-old filly Ouija Board finished second defending her title in the Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Turf behind front-running Intercontinental.

Trained by Ed Dunlop, Ouija Board won the Filly & Mare Turf at Lone Star Park last year after a European championship campaign. No plans for the daughter of Cape Cross’ future have been confirmed.

The Australian Syndicate’s remarkable 5-year-old Starcraft finished seventh in the Classic in his first try on dirt. Trainer Luca Cumani suggested after the race that the distance might have been a bigger factor in his defeat rather than the surface.

Stonerside Stable’s 3-year-old homebred filly Karen’s Caper finished ninth in the Filly & Mare Turf after losing a nose decision in the Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup at Keeneland in her U.S. debut for trainer John Gosden. She will stay on in the U.S. and be sent to a trainer in California.

Bago (FR), Shirocco (GER), Set Alight, Valixir (IRE), Whipper – The five French-trained runners will be boarded on a flight for Paris this evening. Baron Greg Von Ullmann’s 4-year-old Shirocco led a one-two-three-four European finish in the Turf and was the lone European Breeders’ Cup winner Saturday.

The son of Monsun gave trainer Andre Fabre his fourth Breeders’ Cup winner and he said after the race that Shirocco would be kept in training next year with his schedule to include major events in Europe before another planned foray to the U.S. in the fall.

Niarchos Family’s 4-year-old Bago, fourth in the Turf behind Shirocco, is expected to make a final start this year in the Japan Cup in Tokyo on Sunday, Nov. 27. Trained by Jonathan Pease, the homebred son of Nashwan won the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe last year and finished third in this year’s renewal.

Richard Strauss’ 4-year-old Whipper finished a game fourth in the Mile, beaten only a length for it all by Artie Schiller in his career finale for trainer Robert Collet. The Kentucky-bred son of Miesque’s Son is due to take up stud duty in the spring at Ballylinch Stud in Ireland after winning French Group I races in each of the last three seasons.

Favourable Terms (GB) & Leo (GB) – Sheikha Alia al Maktoum’s 5-year-old mare Favorable Terms finished a respectable fifth in the Filly & Mare Turf for trainer Michael Stoute and Princess Haya of Jordon’s 2-year-old Leo checked in ninth in the Juvenile for trainer John Gosden.. The two English-trained runner are booked to fly home Wednesday.

NOTE: The 23rd running of the Breeders’ Cup World Thoroughbred Championship will be held at Churchill Downs in Louisville on Saturday, November 4, 2006.

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: