Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 27, 2014, 05:18:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Distaff Quotes  (Read 945 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 29, 2005, 10:41:52 PM »

Saturday, October 29, 2005                    Contact: Breeders’ Cup Notes Team (516) 328-6017

EMIRATES AIRLINE BREEDERS’ CUP DISTAFF QUOTES

Cornelio Velasquez (jockey, Pleasant Home, winner) “The last time (Spinster Stakes) we had a problem because of a soft pace and we couldn’t get there time. This time was better because of a fast pace. It gave us something to run at. We broke good and I just followed (Edgar) Prado and (John) Velazquez. When I entered the turn, I knew had so much horse, I knew I was going to win.”

Shug McGaughey (trainer, Pleasant Home, winner) “I was surprised. I mean I know she was 20-1 shot, but I thought we would see a little betting on her. Closers have been doing OK today but even when I looked up in the paddock and I saw her price was 23-1, and it wasn’t coming down, it was a real surprise. I don’t bet so it’s not a big deal to me, but I certainly didn’t expect this.

“She has really come around late. With Personal Ensign, her (Distaff) win was at the end of her career. When we got Inside Information and Heavenly Prize (1-2), they were both pretty proven horses by that point. But this was a coming horse. My crew up at Saratoga had her. They did a great job with her. She had done so well in her last couple, I expected her to run well but I wasn’t expecting this.”

Edgar Prado (jockey, Society Selection, second) “She ran good. There was a narrow hole and she went through. She tried real hard, but the winner was much better.”

Fernando Abreu (assistant trainer, Society Selection, second) “She ran a big race. She got into a little trouble coming off the turn. Ashado didn’t want to let her out but she bulled her way through. The Breeders’ Cup is always tough. She ran huge; second in the Breeders’ Cup is not bad.”

John Velazquez (jockey, Ashado, third) “She ran well. She broke good and was in perfect position. She ran a great race. The winner just ran a tremendous race today. She tried hard the whole time and just got beat for second.”

Todd Pletcher (trainer, Ashado, third, Capeside Lady, sixth) “Turning for home, I thought we had a chance but it’s a long way from the quarter-pole to the finish line in a Breeders’ Cup race. I am proud of both my horses. They ran well. This is bittersweet (for Ashado). I would have liked to send her out with a win but you could never be disappointed with the career that this filly has had. It’s been a tremendous run these last three years. As good as she was every time, finishing first, second and third in with three Breeders’ Cup races, we won’t get another one like this for a while. She’s been as good as any filly has been, while we are disappointed she didn’t get a win, we are not going to hang our heads.”

Saeed bin Suroor (trainer, Stellar Jayne, fourth) “She was in a good position and ran very well. Today she just got beat by better fillies. I have no plans about her future until I speak to her owner.”

Victor Espinoza (jockey, Happy Ticket, 11th) “She ran all right. She broke sharp, but started backing up, and I was just trying to keep her in the race. She started to make her move, but just didn’t have it.”

* Trainer Shug McGaughey notched his ninth Breeders’ Cup victory and third in the Distaff. His other Distaff victories were: 1988 – Personal Ensign and 1995 Inside Information.

* Jockey Cornelio Velasquez earned his second Breeders’ Cup victory. His other came in the 2003 Sprint with Cajun Sprint.

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: