Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 19, 2014, 03:29:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turf Quotes  (Read 931 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 29, 2005, 10:42:20 PM »

Saturday, October 29, 2005                    Contact: Breeders’ Cup Notes Team (516) 328-6017

JOHN DEERE BREEDERS’ CUP TURF QUOTES

Christophe Soumillon (jockey, Shirocco, winner) “This is just a dream. I always dream of winning races like the Arc de Triomphe and the Breeders’ Cup and to ride for a trainer Andre Fabre makes it special. To win in New York is unbelievable. He likes soft ground and a good pace to run at and with the pacemaker in there, we got both today. When I got to the turn, I just wanted to let him go and not try to pull him back to mix up his action. We got two (lengths) in front and when he saw the wire, he just flew home.

Andre Fabre (trainer, Shirocco, winner) “He acts on any ground, and he’s a horse that has a lot of stamina. So he needs to be ridden like that, close to the pace. He took advantage of his good draw to make the running (behind Better Talk Now’s ‘rabbit’ Shake the Bank). I was very confident when I saw him at the front. He stays in training next year.”

Kieren Fallon (jockey, Ace, second) “I had the run I wanted. I was able to save ground on the backstretch. But he’s a top of the ground horse, and this deep track today was not to his advantage. The blinkers were a great help; he should have been wearing them all along. It allowed him to concentrate and he ran much better for them.”

Michael Kinane (jockey, Azamour, third) “The pacesetter (Shake The Bank) backed up into us and took our space. It was just when I was starting to get my momentum going. He loves a faster surface and he was not benefited by the ground today. Still, I have to be happy with how he tried.”

John Oxx (trainer, Azamour, third) “Mick Kinane reported that he lost his place 3 ½ furlongs out at the bottom of the backstretch and if not for that, he would have won. It cost him valuable momentum and though he stayed on in the straight the winner had flown. The ground did not help as he can not bounce off the soft turf like he does on the firm. He lacked his customary zip, but he is a tough horse who never lets you down and he ran his heart out. That’s his last race and I will miss him. I have trained some top horses like Sinndar and Alamshar and this fella ranks up there with him.”

Thierry Gillet (jockey, Bago, fourth) “He ran a good race; I have no complaints. I was tracking the leader, but I think it was the ground that got him beat today more than anything else.”

Ramon Dominguez (jockey, Better Talk Now, seventh) “He had what I thought was a pretty good trip. He settled for me nicely early. He just got out-sprinted the last part. They are all tough races, and you hope to win. He’s had some great races, and there are more to come.”

Jerry Bailey (jockey, Shakespeare, 12th) “He didn’t handle the ground at all.”

* Trainer Andre Fabre earned his fourth Breeders’ Cup victory and second in the Turf. His other wins came in 2001 (Banks Hill – Filly & Mare Turf), 1993 (Arcangues - Classic), and 1990 (In The Wings - Turf)

* Jockey Christophe Soumillon notched his first Breeders’ Cup win in just his third start. It was his first mount in the Turf.

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: