Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 20, 2014, 03:20:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mile Quotes  (Read 947 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 29, 2005, 11:40:45 PM »

Saturday, October 29, 2005                    Contact: Breeders’ Cup Notes Team (516) 328-6017

NETJETS BREEDERS’ CUP MILE QUOTES

Garrett Gomez (jockey, Artie Schiller, winner) “I had a decent trip. He left the gate a little flat-footed and I was a little worried because when I looked outside, half the field was in front me. Part of the advantage of being down inside like this, some of the guys get hung out, and some drop out, and I ended up in a good spot. Then I just had to wait and at the top of the lane and, I finally got out a little bit. And when he went, he really went and did what he had to do. It was a pleasure to ride him for Jimmy (Jerkens).”

Jimmy Jerkens (trainer, Artie Schiller, winner) “This horse always runs his eyeballs out. The race happened the way you dream about it. I thought it was a nice post to begin with. He was a little too sharp last time (Kelso Breeders’ Cup) so I told Garrett (Gomez) to split the difference this time. I told him he didn’t want to be too far out of it but he didn’t want to be to close either. The horse has a strong run but it’s a short one and you have to time it just right. He saved ground and he got out just at the right time and everything worked out.”

(on why he chose to Gomez to fill in for regular rider Richard Migliore) “He seemed to be winning on everything.”

John Velazquez (jockey, Leroidesanimaux, second) “I tried to get him to stay back off the others on the backstretch, but he was strong the whole way. He was just very aggressive, and he because of that, I could never get him to the point where he felt comfortable without getting in his mouth. He kind of overused himself the first part. He did try in the stretch when I asked him. He just didn’t have enough left to hold off the other one (winner). He’s always been on the lead and they expected me to go to the lead, but I didn’t want to because I knew they would be chasing me the whole way. I thought I had a good post to get him to relax outside. He just never did.”

Bobby Frankel (trainer, Leroidesanimaux, second) “When we took the shoes off him this morning to put new ones on, we found out we had to put aluminum pads on him. We didn’t know this until this morning. He walked and warmed up fine with those shoes. Even though I thought about taking him out of this race, I thought it was going to be OK. It was the shoes and the outside post that got him beat today. Maybe he (John Velazquez) should have put him on the lead, but that’s just second guessing.”

Gary Stevens (jockey, Gorella, third) “Patrick (Biancone) said she bounced out of her first race in this country (QEII Challenge Cup) so well that he decided to run her here and it was the right decision. She really ran well. I had a great trip and I thought I had second, but we got beat by the bob.”

Patrick Biancone (trainer, Gorella, third) “She ran good. She’s still a young horse. We should have a lot of fun with her next year. My owner (Martin Schwartz) is a great man to put up the money to run and follow me.”

John Murtagh (jockey, Whipper, fourth) “He traveled great and showed that he got the mile well, but I was squeezed for room when I tried to come through and it cost me valuable momentum. I’d like to see the video, but with a clear run, we must have come close.”

Robert Collet (trainer, Whipper, fourth) “He had traffic trouble in the straight, which is regrettable, but that’s the way it is. It’s too bad because this is his last race. He’s going to stud at Ballylinch (Stud) in Ireland.”

Frankie Dettori (jockey, Majors Cast, fifth) “I had a super run and thought I’d win at the furlong pole, but I could feel him emptying underneath me. He just run out of petrol in the last 100 yards.”

David Flores (jockey, Singletary, eighth) “We didn’t have any excuses. We were in a good spot at the head of the lane and then when the leaders quickened, he just kept running at the same pace.”

Edgar Prado (jockey, Funfair) “He broke down behind. We were fourth at the time and I tried to pull him out so he didn’t go down in the middle of the field.”

* Trainer Jimmy Jerkens earned his first Breeders’ Cup victory. His only other started was Artie Schiller, who finished 12th as the favorite in last year’s Mile.

* Jockey Garrett Gomez earned his second Breeders’ Cup victory of the day and of his career. He becomes the 12th jockey to win at least two races in one card.

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: