Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 22, 2014, 11:55:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Filly & Mare Turf Quotes  (Read 1020 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 29, 2005, 10:40:05 PM »

Saturday, October 29, 2005                    Contact: Breeders’ Cup Notes Team (516) 328-6017

EMIRATES AIRLINE BREEDERS’ CUP FILLY & MARE TURF QUOTES

Rafael Bejarano (jockey, Intercontinental, winner) “I feel really, really happy. I want to thank everyone for this great opportunity. The horse broke good, but she wasn’t going as fast as she has. I tried to take hold and stay comfortable. At the quarter pole, I could feel the other horses coming, but I knew she could hold on.

Bobby Frankel (trainer, Intercontinental, winner) “In her race in the Winstar (Galaxy), so broke and relaxed so good, I was very excited about her race. Listening to Jerry (Bailey) after that race, I figured she could go on in distance.

(on how Bejarano’s ride) “He rode her perfect. I gave him instructions; I don’t know whether he understood me but he rode her just the way I wanted him to.”

Jerry Bailey (jockey, Ouija Board, second) “My filly ran well. I got a good run early and was only three wide and that was exactly where I wanted to be. She made a nice run at the filly on the lead.”

(on if he thought he could catch Intercontinental) “I really did. I thought she would stop a little bit but she did not.”

Edward Dunlop (trainer, Ouija Board, second) “She ran a great race and I’m very proud of her. The winner had more speed than us and our filly probably runs 1 ½ miles now. She ran a phenomenal race considering that she was nearly retired in the middle of the season.”

Patrick Valenzuela (jockey, Film Maker, third) “Going by the stands the first time, (Frankie) Dettori’s horse (Sundrop) came over on me and I clipped heels, Luckily, she didn’t stumble more than she did. Because of that, I wasn’t as close as I wanted to be. She was shuffled back on the turn (first), but once I got her clear, she made a good run into the far turn, and she ran a great race. She’s going to get (win) one of these some day.”

Graham Motion (trainer, Film Maker, third) “I thought she ran huge; the same race she ran last year. She checked a bit on the first turn but I thought the fractions were solid enough for her to close into it. I’m very happy with her race.”

James Toner (trainer, Wonder Again, fourth) “My filly ran well but the winner was able to make the pace and go all the way. We didn’t run well enough to win. There are no gimmes here. This was her last race as she will be retired.”

Michael Goodbody (racing manager, Gainsborough Stud, Favourable Terms, fifth) “She hated the soft ground and we always knew that she was a firm ground mare. It was no surprise. But she ran OK and Michael (Kinane) said that had she not been checked, she might have finished fourth.”

Alex Solis (jockey, Megahertz, eighth) “She never got any good footing out there. She didn’t like the track out there at all. It was very, very soft.”

John Gosden (trainer, Karen’s Caper, ninth) “It was very soft and she couldn’t handle it. There were big clods of earth coming up.”

* Trainer Bobby Frankel won his fourth Breeders’ Cup race in 65 starts. It was his second win in the Filly & Mare Turf in 12 attempts with his other victory in 2002 – Starine.

* Jockey Rafael Bejarano earned his first Breeders’ Cup victory in six tries. He rode in his first Breeders’ Cup last year with four mounts.

* Intercontinental is a full sister to Juddmonte’s 2001 Filly & Mare Turf winner Banks Hill. She was trained by Andre Fabre.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: