Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 31, 2014, 04:39:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange twist in negotiations in Canada - A New Association?  (Read 1162 times)
emp

« on: December 31, 2005, 11:55:32 AM »

Seems like a new association named the Ontario Racehorse Association has backdoored the Ontario Harness Horseman's Association. The association was started in 2005...............

"Windsor Raceway has entered into a Horse People’s Agreement with the Ontario Racehorse Association which becomes effective January 1, 2006. Windsor Raceway has now complied with all regulatory requirements relating to its pari-mutuel and racing operations for calendar 2006."

Full story from The Harness Edge in Canada.........
http://www.theharnessedge.com/news.asp?Mode=View&Story=13270
Report to moderator   Logged
kellytuc
The one, the only, and the former - Kellytuc!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 02:18:46 PM »

I wish our racetracks offered us 50-50 on all wagers with no recapture!  I wonder what the OHHA was fighting for?  Probably to race a certain number of days.
I also wish our negotiating team would try to get 50-50 splits everywhere.
Michigan Dale

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 02:56:40 PM »

Isn't this just grand?   In the 11th hour some unknown splinter group sneaks in and allegedly contracts with Windsor?   It'll be interesting to see if there will be enough horses to put on a program.   From all I've heard, there won't be.   Horsemen vs. horsemen.....the tracks couldn't have hoped for more.   Tragic situation that will be interesting to follow.
Chitown Stan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 03:10:23 PM »

You're not kidding Dale, this is a twist in a half. Well with Chicago and Windsor possible both down, I guess they'll just have 24 races a night at Northville.
njhorseman

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 04:01:22 PM »

Isn't this just grand?   In the 11th hour some unknown splinter group sneaks in and allegedly contracts with Windsor?   It'll be interesting to see if there will be enough horses to put on a program.   From all I've heard, there won't be.   Horsemen vs. horsemen.....the tracks couldn't have hoped for more.   Tragic situation that will be interesting to follow.

From what I've heard, this new "group" represents almost no actual horsemen. Just a sham fronting for track mangement. My guess is they will not be racing.
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 11:32:00 PM »

Were any of the Michigan posters at the Dec. MHHA meeting?

http://www.ambersystems.com/mhha/minutes/minutes.htm

Guest: Ken Schneider gave a presentation on the Ontario Racehorse Association, a new organization in Southwest Ontario that will eventually be offering stabling at Windsor Raceway.
Michigan Dale

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 01:12:57 PM »

Well, this Michigan poster wasn't there but I can tell you the MHHA posted a message on its site from the OHHA asking that Michigan horsemen support the OHHA and not enter their horses if a contract is not signed between Windsor and the OHHA.  Sound like Illinois?  Anyway, from what I've heard, this splinter group may not be able to muster enough support to fill cards at Windsor.   Some people, in Michigan, are pretty upset and fully support the OHHA.   Splinter groups sneaking around putting deals together and a racetrack (Windsor) dumb enough to play ball with them at the expense of the OHHA?   What a abominable and disgusting situation that is.   Personally, groups like this bother me and I've little respect for them.  Personally, I'd be very leery of any new upstart group that isn't out in the open and up front with people.  Reminds me of the Talliban or Al Quida, sneaking around in caves doing their deeds.  About 20 years ago (give or take a few) a splinter group pulled a coup in Michigan and signed a contract with Saginaw Harness Raceway, distancing themselves from the MHHA.   Today, both the group and Saginaw are gone while MHHA is still alive and kicking.   
kellytuc
The one, the only, and the former - Kellytuc!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 03:38:08 PM »

According to what I hear, the same might be happening in Illinois with the leader being Darcy Pletcher.
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 12:51:50 PM »

Well even with this new group, they still don't have enough horses to race:

Windsor Raceway Inc. announced yesterday that it is unable to conduct live racing at Windsor Raceway on Wednesday, January 4, 2006 and Thursday, January 5, 2006 because there were not a sufficient number of horses entered to conduct competitive race meets.

http://www.theharnessedge.com/news.asp?Mode=View&Story=13312
Michigan Dale

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 01:32:59 PM »

No surprise here.   I spoke to several already this morning that would have entered but won't.   This was clearly a sneak attack and who knows, maybe this new group that we still no little to nothing about has only a handful of 'members', maybe even just one!?   OHHA in Canada left out in the dark and blindsided and a racetrack signing a contract with some unknown entity.   Sounds like they really outfoxed themselves.  Great business sense......  What a shame.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: