Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 01, 2014, 05:22:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today's Arlington race caller  (Read 5752 times)
Scav

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2007, 02:07:25 PM »

Dooley out sick?

Is this the guy that does Maywood or Balmoral during the week? Just hearing the difference tells me how lucky we are to have John G calling the races on a daily basis
Report to moderator   Logged
dogs up

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 03:34:05 PM »

I go to Maywood and this is definitely not their announcer. Don't think this guy ever called a race before- Listened to 1st race replay and never gave sequencial calls at established times in race, even though a very small field. Hope JGD is ok---If not, maybe us BTW guys should volunteer our services--Phil Georgeff Where are you?
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 05:10:23 PM »

that's Joe Mazzone from  Maywood Park
dogs up

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 06:23:26 PM »

Is there that much difference between calling harness and thoroughbred?--I would never imagine it was the same guy--He sounds so much better at Maywood.
vcackerman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 07:37:51 PM »

The big difference is slower paces and less movement in the field.   
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 07:42:59 PM »

Say what you want about John Dooley ("He's a DORK!", "A Rush Limbaugh fan - UGH!"), his voice (dorky as it is) cuts through the crowd noise.
DAK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 10:01:40 PM »

For the record, Joe M. didn't know until 11:30 a.m. this morning that he was going to call the races.

In harness, you have driver's colors to fall back on.

T-bred is a much different animal.

More movement, much tougher to ID.

Ever try calling a race?

Under difficult circumstances, I thought he did a great job.
dogs up

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 10:16:13 PM »

Did AP say anything about what was wrong with Dooley?
nwaryas

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 06:42:16 AM »

Joe Mazzone was better.
DAK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 07:01:26 AM »

I'm 99.9% sure this is the first day Dools missed since he first grabbed the mic here.

He had a horrible summer cold.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 09:21:23 AM »

Wasn't Peter G. available?
pjcleve

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 09:53:38 AM »

For the record, Joe M. didn't know until 11:30 a.m. this morning that he was going to call the races.

Ever try calling a race?

I agree with DAK on this. While I think John G does a terrific job not just calling the races but keeping the fans in the game between races, I thought Joe did a good job filling in. I've heard much worse.

Pete
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 10:44:55 AM »

He's no Phil Georgeff! Hahaha.
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 12:41:46 PM »

The only call I heard was the 9th race and it was horrible.
Were the rest of his calls just as bad?
He's supposed to be a professional announcer, no excuse to butcher race calls like that.
nwaryas

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 12:45:30 PM »

I'm 99.9% sure this is the first day Dools missed since he first grabbed the mic here.

He had a horrible summer cold.

I am just starting to get over my horrible summer cold, which I knew I was getting on Thursday. Two days for Hoffman Estates fest was nice but missed three days (fri-sat-sun).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 12:47:13 PM by nwaryas » Report to moderator   Logged
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 02:17:40 PM »

The only call I heard was the 9th race and it was horrible.
Were the rest of his calls just as bad?
He's supposed to be a professional announcer, no excuse to butcher race calls like that.

I have to agree with you on that race. Most races I didn't pay much attention, but I kept hearing "Slewtini takes the lead and Buddy's Bomber takes command" until I finally turned to the guy next to me and said "Isn't that the 8 on the lead?" because I had Rich N Clever as MY bet and I thought I was misreading the saddle cloth.
sawd off

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 04:52:53 PM »

Ever try calling a race? Joe did well for getting a call at the last minute. He was a good fill in for the consistant and popular JGD

sawd off

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 04:55:30 PM »

I agree he did a good job for being called in at the last minute. JGD is one of the best out there with Durkin, Denmon, Stauffer and Wrona.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 05:09:08 PM »

I wouldn't put Dooley even close to those others, sawd. He is competent, and his voice cuts through the crowd.
Thomas Graham

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 05:51:57 PM »

I'd put Dooley so far ahead of Wrona, who annoys me like a mother in law, that they wouldn't even be on the same list.

I'd also put him ahead of Stauffer, who is a guy who strikes me as the type who could make the best call ever on one race and the lousiest call (of a pro, not lousy like if one of us tried) two races later on the same day.

I'd put him ahead of Denman 2007 but not ahead of Denman in his prime (he used to tell you the winner at the 3/8 pole, now I pray he doesn't call my horse a winner early as he's clearly lost that ability as he ages - but then again to be fair - so have I).

I'd probably have him close to on a par with Durkin 2007 but again TD07 is not the same guy as TD97 or there abouts who was the best ever.

TJG
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 06:48:41 PM »

Durkin best ever? He's excellent, but Dave Johnson was the best.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 06:52:03 PM »

I'd put Dooley so far ahead of Wrona, who annoys me like a mother in law, that they wouldn't even be on the same list.

I'd also put him ahead of Stauffer, who is a guy who strikes me as the type who could make the best call ever on one race and the lousiest call (of a pro, not lousy like if one of us tried) two races later on the same day.

I'd put him ahead of Denman 2007 but not ahead of Denman in his prime (he used to tell you the winner at the 3/8 pole, now I pray he doesn't call my horse a winner early as he's clearly lost that ability as he ages - but then again to be fair - so have I).

I'd probably have him close to on a par with Durkin 2007 but again TD07 is not the same guy as TD97 or there abouts who was the best ever.

TJG

While people are polarized on Wrona, love him or hate him, I think the market has spoken on Vic Stauffer. He calls Hollywood, and Gulfstream.

And it's just crazy to think he's better than Trevor Denman - please.

Kevin Goemmer was better than Dooley.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 06:54:03 PM »

Durkin best ever? He's excellent, but Dave Johnson was the best.

Dave Johnson was annoying. His calls were boring for the first 7/8s and then all of a sudden "Down the Stretch they come!!!", even if it was a runaway winner.
Thomas Graham

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 07:06:04 PM »

Vic was let go by Gulfstream prior to this season - Larry Collmus calls there now.  Johnson circa 1980 was pretty good, but Johnson since about 1987 just waits and winds up for "down the stretch they come" and then misidentifies the winner (OK the last part an exaggeration) but he's well past his prime.

Goemmer was great, no doubt about that and I think Arlington was foolish to replace him with that Aussie, but sadly Mr. Goemmer is no longer around and thus not part of this discussion.

The discussion to me is who is the best, now, today, as they call races at their current venues and current ages:

Ones I like (me, Tom Graham, my opinion, in case anyone things I am trying to speak for the masses)...  (not necessarily in order) Dooley, Durkin, Luke K., Trevor (I still like him just think he's not as good as he was 10-15 years ago), Vic (on his good days), Collmus.

Ones I don't like ... Wrona (top of that list, the rest in no particular order) Battaglia, Terry Wallace, Ross Morton (Finger Lakes, Gulfstream years ago), the "there they go" guy who used to do No. Cal but I think does Canterbury or someplace like that, the guy who does all the imitations (he's clever but just call the damn race)

The others --- if a name wasn't mentioned I guess it means it made he little impression one way or another.

I won't dispute anyone else's opinion --- to each his or her own.
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 07:41:24 PM »

My vote goes for Durkin as far as active race callers. I also like Denman, although both have passed their prime. Another who is pretty good is Richard Grunder at Tampa Bay Downs.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: