Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 23, 2014, 01:11:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fred Egan, Rupert Parker and Court Jester 1941  (Read 310 times)
wilderness

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2007, 12:39:03 AM »

Quite an enjoyable read from the October 1941 Hoof Beats:

SPEAKING of business men among the trainers and drivers, we really have a couple of high pressure examples right now in the persons of Rupe Parker and Fred Egan, who own-—if you have to be told-—that young slicker, Court Jester, 2 2.041/4. They bought this donkey at Indianapolis because his former owner refused to race him in pants. That suited the elongated Rupert, who wouldn't race a pacer if it went free‑legged to save what is left of his soul. Pacers and hobbles are synonymous with Parker, who took his first swing under the old apple tree in one end of the left side of a pair of hobbles when he wasn't much more than two years old, so hobbles are nothing new in that teamster's life.
However, the guy Egan likes trotters.
Does right well with them as you might have noticed, but hobbles to him are a horse with a different color scheme, and fit into the order of his life just like ants in your pants. I doubt whether he ever bought a pair in his whole life or ever will, but anyway, despite Court Jester needing them utterly and completely, and his own aversion to them, he divvied up half of the price of the colt, and turned it over to Parker to match with his half and go race him yourself, said Fred to Rupe. If you bust your neck that's your hard luck said Fred, and if he wins anything, of course, I get half even if I am nothing more than just a partner.
So they organized the firm of Parker and Egan, Inc., and just how well Parker has managed the son of His Majesty to date, is history. The colt has lost a couple of heats all the way from Toledo to Reading, stopping between times to pick up such loose ends as the Fox Stake at Indianapolis, and creating in a general way an impression that he is just something more as a race horse, than what you snatch out of a grab bag. He is a four‑star pacer and a five‑star race horse, and give Parker a pat on the back for his part of the job.
However, the collection end of the corporation is the thing that excites the admiration. They figured out a system long before they left Aiken in the spring, and its operation and results are commended to the brethren who own an animal in partnership. It works as surely as either death or taxes, and is just as effective on a Republican secretary as on one of F. D.'s legions.
"Now," said Rupe, "on account of because I got fallen arches from being the best stump jumper on the Wapsie out in I‑o‑way I ain't much for speed. Somebody has got to do the rush act as soon as the pony wins the last heat, and being as how you got good legs, even if they are a little bit warped, and being a partner besides, it's up to you to do the collecting. Times are bard and money is tight. Maybe the money is there and could be that it isn't-—­at least not all of it-—so the first one at the paywindow gets the shekels. And looking like Wendell Willkie, if the secretary is a Republican, that gives you the edge, right? Me, I'll collect the cups and get my picture in the papers and tend to the rest of the chores this donkey of ours entails in winning all the races I drive him. That is hard work alongside of just collecting what the pony and I win. If you can get those legs into sprinting condition, fine. If not we could buy an electric scooter after we win a race or two. Or ask C. W., could you saddle Spencer Scott on the days you are not racing him and trot him a two‑minute shot for the secretary's office as soon as you get my signal. I'll fire a shot on the top of the last turn if I know I am winning. Then you turn on for the pay window. If you hear two shots go into second for there won't be any hurrying needed, it's only second money anyway. Looks like we will start heading the parade at Toledo and maybe you are going to be a busy little man for once in your life."
And that explains why Fred Egan is usually found close by the secretary's office, while Parker is consorting with Governors, Second Lieutenant Governors and collecting cups, and so many of the latter, his tack room looks like a second aluminum collection for national defense was under way. Dick Case said Fred was already half way to the treasurer's office the day The Jester won The Fox, before Governor Schricker had even let go of his side of the cup he was presenting to Rupert Parker. That, gentlemen, is team work, and Egan doesn't give two per cent off for cash either when he is collecting.
When Parker was asked how Egan was standing up under the strain of collecting all those first monies at high speed, he grinned this answer: "I didn't have much hope of his doing any good at it at first, but he has the hang of the thing now and is doing right well. If his legs hold out or the scooter doesn't bust up, we ought to have a highly remunerative season. Yessir!"
Report to moderator   Logged

Regards Don
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 12:53:41 AM »

To appreciate the humor of these "then" old-timers here's an article been online for sometime.

From January 1957 Hoof Beats.

The photo that accompanied the article is quite interesting. There was no accompnaying text when published in 1957.
 Ed Keys pulled the photo and all that was on the back was 1954.
 Everybody  is pretty sure it was DuQuoin.

If you look closely at the tent in has the name Coburn for the actor Charles Coburn which was a Fred Egan patron.

http://www.***/publct/yrnsunrvl.html

Ed was kind enough to supply with a quality photo rather than the scanned photo.
 If anybody is interested, PM me your email and I'll send.
Report to moderator   Logged

Regards Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: