Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 23, 2014, 12:56:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eric abbatiello  (Read 860 times)
FreeLegged

« on: June 18, 2007, 06:05:31 PM »

Did this guy get hurt or something? I have noticed he hasnt been driving even his own horses at yonkers as of late.
Report to moderator   Logged
rock

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 07:04:03 PM »

Hope Eric is OK, Eric is one of the nicest guys you will ever come across in this business. Very approachable and very easy to talk to, also one intelligent individual. Eric has a vast understanding of the stock and bond markets, he is very well read and educated. I always look for him when I race at Yonkers or Freehold, he's one of the good guys.
Buffaloboy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:23:10 PM »

Freelegged,

You ask a good question. He was at Yonkers about a week ago but I havent seen him since. I am sure Freehold closing for their early summer break has something to do with that. He is listed at Yonkers and for some q-races in NJ later in the week.

Speaking of an Abbatiello, in looking for Eric, I noticed that his dad, The Red Man, hasnt driven in about a year. He drove in the Roosevelt Raceway reunion races at Monticello and some q-races at The Meadowlands for Eric. Before others bring it up, I know Carmine is 71 now I believe, but I feel its sad that he isnt around.

I also know that he was known for a hard edge personality in his day but I just believe its a loss for a sport he and a lot of legends just faded away. They rarely get honored, the public rarely sees them at the tracks and I just feel that detatchment doesnt help the sport.

You go to a baseball game and you can see some of the players from your time now coaching or sitting in box seats or in a box. Go to a football game and you see retired stars on the sidelines as guests. Go to a bseketball game and you see some legends sitting courtside or behind the bench. You dont have that with harness racing and ultimately dont preserve history that way

When will Barn To Wire finally do the right thing and ban Clockerterry & Edwarren for their continued lies, anti-American & anti-semetic statements and their general disrutpive stupidity? 

“The answer to a government that’s too big is to stop feeding its growth.” - President Ronald W. Reagan
Harness1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 01:26:40 PM »

Buffalo-  Great points as usual.  Carmine  back in the day was the best on the half.  Great keeping a horse alive with his hands, not a big whip guy.   Jack Lee's favorite when calling the races.....He gave him the name the redman....... 
Buffaloboy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 05:44:08 PM »

Buffalo-  Great points as usual.  Carmine  back in the day was the best on the half.  Great keeping a horse alive with his hands, not a big whip guy.   Jack Lee's favorite when calling the races.....He gave him the name the redman....... 

Harness1,

I believe you are 100% correct about his nickname. I know Roosevelt Raceway honored him with a night in 1982 but again, while he was brash, he is one of the few remaining from the hayday of the sport and all that knowledge and experience is sitting on the sideline being wasted. And this doesnt apply to just Abbatiello, you can pick a track and look at their history. Bottonm line is that you cant interview a horse. You cant get a horse to tell you what happened in a race or funny stories about things that happen at the track or in training. A horse cant talk to young drivers and give them after their first practice races. A horse cant be an embassador for the sport.

Back to Carmine for a moment. I found a couple of articles on him from between 25 and 35 years ago. There are some funny quotes from him.

--- When asked how good he was, Carmine said on a scale from one to ten, he was an eight. When asked only an eight, he said, "Yeah, but there arent any nines or tens"

--- When asked what the difference was between him and other drivers, he said, "About two seconds".

--- In an interview after winning five races in a row at Windsor, he said he would move there cause the drivers were easy

--- After beating a Stanley Dancer-driven $125,000 horse on a 28-degree night at Roosevelt, Carmine said in an interview after that he, "put Dancer away easily and that was it".

When will Barn To Wire finally do the right thing and ban Clockerterry & Edwarren for their continued lies, anti-American & anti-semetic statements and their general disrutpive stupidity? 

“The answer to a government that’s too big is to stop feeding its growth.” - President Ronald W. Reagan
racefanmike

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 11:02:11 PM »

My partner and I met Eric 2 years ago when we went to the Big M to
     claim a horse.
     Very professional, personable and sharp.
     One look in his barns and you knew he was a meticulous hard worker.
     Unfortunatly, we were beat out in a multiple claim for the horse.

If we ever go out east to get a horse again we will hire Eric.
     Met his father too, as far as we could tell he was a real nice guy,and
     working with Eric.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: