Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 07:59:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bergstein weighs in on the upcoming strike....  (Read 3472 times)
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2005, 05:09:21 PM »

From his newsletter:

Deja-vu all over again in Chicago. Illinois harness
horsemen have declined offers from the
Johnstons, owners of Balmoral Park in Crete
and Maywood Park in Maywood, and those
tracks will go dark after the current horsemen’s
contract expires tomorrow night. Balmoral and
Maywood will not race Sunday or Tuesday. No
future negotiations have been scheduled, and the
horsemen’s president, Martin J. Engel, was
quoted as saying, “The industry has been hurting
for a long period of time. The horsemen are
hanging on by a thread. They’d rather not race
at all. It’s also a matter of principal.” We find
principal is not legal tender at the groceries and
gas stations and department stores we patronize,
but that’s Mr. Engel’s call, and that of his
members. The last horsemen’s strike in Chicago,
in 2003, lasted two and one-half months. It’s almost
impossible to recoup losses like that, regardless
of settlements.

I find this pretty insulting to the horsemen.  What do you think?

Best,
EW
Report to moderator   Logged

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
Richard Breth

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 05:13:02 PM »

I find this pretty insulting to the horsemen.  What do you think?

Stan has been around a long time and understands a lot of things other people dont see until many years later.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 05:16:02 PM »

Stan has been around a long time and understands a lot of things other people dont see until many years later.

I would generally yield to his experience, but honestly, I'm not sure if he understands the whole picture here.   But, then again, he's the President of the Harness Tracks of America...so I'm not sure what else to expect.

However, the racing situation here has done nothing but nosedive for years.  The recapture agreements and splits are unlike anything else in the country.  What else can we do?

Best,
EW

Dan Nance

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 05:23:21 PM »

What do I think? Tell Bergstein he has NOTHING ivested in Chicago harness racing so he should shut his trap. Tell him to invest some money in Chicago harness racing and then see if he would like racing for peanuts.
Richard Breth

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 05:24:16 PM »

I would generally yield to his experience, but honestly, I'm not sure if he understands the whole picture here.   But, then again, he's the President of the Harness Tracks of America...so I'm not sure what else to expect.

However, the racing situation here has done nothing but nosedive for years.  The recapture agreements and splits are unlike anything else in the country.  What else can we do?

Recapture in Illinois is unique. Otherwise issues are the same with other states. Harness racing is diving everywhere except slots he understands the issues.

I read Stans news as long as I was interested in racing. Didnt always agree with him. Has always proved my thinking wrong.
TC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 05:33:04 PM »

...like what - how to ring the male nurse at the assisted living center to change his Depends-again.  That goof should stick to retelling stories about Peace Corp and Nevele Pride.  He's at least 2 steps behind how the game is played out today. He couldn't pick Rucker, Seldon L., or  Casie Coleman out of a lineup if his life depended on it.  Just what the game needs is another Andy Rooney / Jack Whittaker type to toss in his 2 cents worth.  Sheeeesh.   TC
kellytuc
The one, the only, and the former - Kellytuc!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 05:41:09 PM »

Of course its insulting to the horsemen, EW.  Stan Bergstein and Duncan Price should be retired to giving carriage rides to little boys and girls on super night.
DLeestable

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 05:44:35 PM »

Well Stan,

Since you have stuck your nose in to this...what exactly is their offer?  Does anyone know?  Have they offered anything?  I haven't heard anything. It sure would be nice to know. What I heard last night was the IHHA offered to let them take 100% recapture and let us race for what we generate and they said no.  Does anyone know anything other than that??
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 06:08:07 PM »

Guys,

Let me just say this. It is a known fact that Stan Bergstein and Phil Langley have been long-time buddies and good friends. Bergstein writes his monthly bullshit news column in Hoof Beats magazine and goes after whomever Langley tells him to go after. Most people from the Roosevelt Raceway days can't stand the guy. He is annoying goofball who is a management flunky and worked at Sportsmen's Park years ago under Langley. Did you expect any different from this guy? He is living out in Arizona and probably inhaling lithium everyday to balance his moronic thoughts. LOL. I'll give you 100-1 odds that Langley told him to write this article. Just ignore him, he is a miserable SOB who probably only has months to live. He has got to be in his 80’s and probably wrote that article from his nursing home bed. Don’t let a senile old man like Bergstein get to you.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
(A UNLV Runnin Rebel For Life)

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
Richard Breth

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 06:16:10 PM »

Guys,

Let me just say this. It is a known fact that Stan Bergstein and Phil Langley have been long-time buddies and good friends. Bergstein writes his monthly bullshit news column in Hoof Beats magazine and goes after whomever Langley tells him to go after. Most people from the Roosevelt Raceway days can't stand the guy. He is annoying goofball who is a management flunky and worked at Sportsmen's Park years ago under Langley. Did you expect any different from this guy? He is living out in Arizona and probably inhaling lithium everyday to balance his moronic thoughts. LOL. I'll give you 100-1 odds that Langley told him to write this article. Just ignore him, he is a miserable SOB who probably only has months to live. He has got to be in his 80’s and probably wrote that article from his nursing home bed. Don’t let a senile old man like Bergstein get to you.

LOL! Thought you were busy visting Brent.

God it has to bother brilliant people like you Joe that you are "nobody" whos only claim to fame is self proclaimed "esteemed poster" on Barn To Wire while Stan is "somebody" in the industry. Given your estimation of Stan that makes your life and meanigless career even lower. So sad.

Never a day goes by on this forum that the "esteemed posters" dont lower themselves even further here. 
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 06:22:02 PM »

God it has to bother brilliant people like you Joe that you are "nobody" whos only claim to fame is self proclaimed "esteemed poster" on Barn To Wire while Stan is "somebody" in the industry. Given your estimation of Stan that makes your life and meanigless career even lower. So sad.

Never a day goes by on this forum that the "esteemed posters" dont lower themselves even further here. 

Richard:

Not that it matters but I just woke Brent up and am out the door. I have been one of the few people on this forum that has tried to remain civil to you and tolerate your filthy and disgusting screen name.

Now read my lips real clear. GO *** YOURSELF YOU MISERABLE *** AND PRINT THIS OUT. IT KILLS YOU THAT NANCE AND TC KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND NOW YOU WANT TO BRING IT ON AND START YOUR SHIT WITH ME. WELL, LETS DO IT MOTHER ***. HAVE A GREAT NIGHT SUCKING STRANGE MENS COCKS.

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 06:25:13 PM »

This I have to agree with -- Stan is probably the most influential non-driver/trainer in the history of the sport.  So, it's tough for me to comment negatively.

Joe, Dan, and TC -- it shocks me that you would be so harsh to him.  I definitely don't agree with what he's saying here, but wow -- I figured that wisdom garnered some respect.

Best,
EW

Richard Breth

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 06:29:36 PM »

Now read my lips real clear. GO *** YOURSELF YOU MISERABLE *** AND PRINT THIS OUT. IT KILLS YOU THAT NANCE AND TC KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND NOW YOU WANT TO BRING IT ON AND START YOUR SHIT WITH ME. WELL, LETS DO IT MOTHER ***. HAVE A GREAT NIGHT SUCKING STRANGE MENS COCKS.

Nance and TC dont know who I am or they would have "outed" me a long time ago so that harness racing RATS could try to call my business to tell them I am posting on work time.

As far as you this post here says "I'm Joe Dakuras and this is who I am" in language no one elses post could say.
TC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 06:40:49 PM »

Note to Joe Dakuras :  Let me just say that you are insane if you think you can give credence to our #1 forum's cretins.  Don't try to be nice to a man who likes other men in his mouth - it's futile. Dan Nance tried to warn you Joe, didn't he ?  We already know something is wrong with a person who would admit to his acts by using it as a screen name.  I suppose there is nothing wrong about being gay - other than the spreading of diseases like AIDS and Hepatitis C.  These goofs think wiping out millions of people is some sort of cosmic joke, but it has spread to the normal community through drug use and transfusions.  The next time Dickie takes one in the mouth as his screen name suggests, I hope it isn't a "tainted" load.  He is a scum who would probably service every crooked IRB member if he could - the way he defends those polecats.  He knows nothing of the game as it is played out today, and takes as gospel every fiscal report put out by some racing body...in other words a management suck-up.   TC
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 06:44:33 PM by TC » Report to moderator   Logged
talking head

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 06:46:34 PM »

First of all REMEMBER who signs Bergstein's checks!!

I  sent an E-mail to Bergstein one time asking him why he does not ever write a story about Recapture and how it is hurting the Horse Racing Industry in Illinois. Of Course No Response!
Again Remember who signs his check.
Henry C. Robinson

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2005, 06:52:44 PM »

Dakuras, you were civil to dis sissie M-F and look where it got you. I give him credit that he talkin racing a bit more now, but he is a proven liar by others on da forum and got his facts wrongo bongo too many time for my likin. Dickbreathe is sick fool and you shouln't try reasonin wit him. Peace out an Happy New Years.Ain't  it obvious its a manager at Maywood or workin downtown for the man who loves Langlee an Johnson?  My first guess tho I don't care one bit.
twinkiethekid

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2005, 07:01:26 PM »

JD, DON'T LET 'EM GIT TO YOU.THE FORUM LADY WILL SEE HIS DUMB WAYS AND GIVE HIM THE BOOT.TC WAS RIGHT DON'T LISTEN TO JACKWADS WHO ARE F'ED IN THE HEAD LIKE RICHARD.HE GOT REAL SENSITIVE WAY BACK ABOUT OJ SIMPSON AND SEEMS LIKE ONE OF THOSE CREEPS WHO SITS IN THE BACK OF A COURTROOM WATCHING TRAGEDIES UNFOLD.I LEARN EVERY DAY ON THIS FORUM WHO TO TRUST AND LISTEN TOO AND NOT TOO.RICHARD AIN'T ONE OF THEM.HE FIGHTS ALL THE TIME AND WANTS TO SHOUT DOWN YOU AND SOME OTHERS.YOUR BUDDY NANCE THINKS HE IS WENDT AND WHO KNOWS?THE WAY HE POSTS IT SEEMS LIKE HE ENJOYS THINKING HE'S ANONEMIS BUT HELL FALL LIKE A DOMINO.MARK MY WORDS.
Richard Breth

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2005, 07:06:35 PM »

JD, DON'T LET 'EM GIT TO YOU.THE FORUM LADY WILL SEE HIS DUMB WAYS AND GIVE HIM THE BOOT. TC WAS RIGHT DON'T LISTEN TO JACKWADS WHO ARE F'ED IN THE HEAD LIKE RICHARD.

Bets?

I have been here almost a year and never had a post took down unless it was in a doomed subject started by someone else. JD and TC cant say as much.

Matter of behaving like a ADULT.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 07:08:10 PM by Richard Breth » Report to moderator   Logged
TC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2005, 07:09:21 PM »

Bets?

I have been here almost a year and never had a post took down unless it was in a doomed subject started by someone else. JD and TC cant say as much.

Matter of behaving like a ADULT.

...an adult who prefers many men in his mouth hence the screen name.  Real adult to me - deviant adult is more like it.  TC
Richard Breth

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2005, 07:11:58 PM »

ANONEMIS

Twinkie LOL! I missed that.
TC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2005, 07:20:47 PM »

This I have to agree with -- Stan is probably the most influential non-driver/trainer in the history of the sport.  So, it's tough for me to comment negatively.

Joe, Dan, and TC -- it shocks me that you would be so harsh to him.  I definitely don't agree with what he's saying here, but wow -- I figured that wisdom garnered some respect.

Best,
EW
EW, at 22 or 23, how could you be far behind the times too.  Bergstein has been a non-factor since you were about 5 in this sport.  THAT'S A FACT !  Also, as someone pointed out, who signs his check ?  Stan is a historian but knows nothing about today's game (pre-racing, better technology,etc.).  He wrote a Wendt-esque article defaming Bill Robinson in Hoofbeats and should have been knocked out or sued into oblivion by Mr. Robinson.  The shock is upon YOU EW for not knowing that the sport has passed Bergstein by.  Furthermore, the closest track to his AZ home is Calpo - home of honest racing - LOL.  EW, your earlier post proves again that you still have a ways to go to get a grip on harness reality for 2005-06.  Maybe stop watching those tapes from yesteryear and come out to the live races more often after you finish up school.  The only thing Bergstein is on the 05-06 information superhighway is roadkill my friend.  TC
Richard Breth

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2005, 07:28:06 PM »

LOL! Mucho fun.

Edward you decide. Your young harness racing soul is whats at stake. Like if this was an online version of "The Screwtape Letters".

Stan Bergstein who IS something and someone. Or local gas bag TC.
darth vader

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2005, 07:37:54 PM »

as history whas shown the horsemen can't win this
cumonwire

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 09:37:13 PM »

I read the quotes attributed to Mr. Bergstein, and I have no quarrel with them.  He is Right, standing on Principle will be a sacrifice.  To some more than others.  Some are racing and winning at other tracks.  Some cannot afford to ship out.  But the bills are in the mailbox day after day.

And I believe he is correct about the last strike.  How many made back the lost revenue? 

Maybe this strike is necessary.  I have my doubts.  But don't make it personal.  Our side cannot afford to make it personal.  Don't negotiate out of spite.  Keep it professional.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2005, 12:07:55 AM »

I read the quotes attributed to Mr. Bergstein, and I have no quarrel with them.  He is Right, standing on Principle will be a sacrifice.  To some more than others.  Some are racing and winning at other tracks.  Some cannot afford to ship out.  But the bills are in the mailbox day after day.

And I believe he is correct about the last strike.  How many made back the lost revenue? 

Maybe this strike is necessary.  I have my doubts.  But don't make it personal.  Our side cannot afford to make it personal.  Don't negotiate out of spite.  Keep it professional.

You are correct -- standing on principal probably isn't right.  But, here's my issue: besides the "give us all the dates" offer, what have the "horsemen declined?"

In reality, the only necessity in this case is FAIRNESS.  The splits right now, are NOT FAIR.  The recapture agreement is NOT FAIR.  People need to pay their bills, and hope that in this time of need that horsemen will help out fellow horsemen to make this time as "doable" as possible.  BUT, if these unfair practices aren't fixed, I don't think there should be racing until Hawthorne.

Best,
EW

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: