Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 20, 2014, 12:53:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VIDEOS GALORE!!!!!!!!  (Read 10047 times)
njhorseman

« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2005, 03:46:43 PM »

Scott,  not to be "mean" -- but I suspect this "you and them" attitude may contibute to the problems of finding owners these days...

Best,
EW

Somehow, I don't think I'll be investing with "Team Nance" when that summer comeback takes place. Grin
Report to moderator   Logged
sn

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2005, 03:47:42 PM »

I doubt it EW, not to be mean but No shortage of owners in NJ or Toronto There is a owner shortage in Chi. because of track managment and a bunch of unproffesional part time trainers!!!!!!!!!
njhorseman

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2005, 03:50:42 PM »

I doubt it EW, not to be mean but No shortage of owners in NJ or Toronto There is a owner shortage in Chi. because of track managment and a bunch of unproffesional part time trainers!!!!!!!!!

Let's see...if your going to race only in the summer...that would make you a PART TIMER! Grin
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2005, 03:52:55 PM »

Obviously, the potential gain in NJ or Ontario outweights any standoffish behavior.  In Chicago, without the purse benefits, it's my assessment that trainers should be courting owners.  I'm not sure if this is the case...

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
sn

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2005, 03:54:11 PM »

OH MY GOD!!!! DN, NJ paul the ex steward and current know it all isnt going to invest in Team Nance on the comeback in Chi. next year What are we going to do?Huh
Newsflash for you Paul, WE DONT NEED OR WANT YOUR KNOPW IT ALL SELF!!!! Stay in Jersy and pay those outragous tolls and car insurance and try to analize everything that people say!!!!!!!!!
burton

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2005, 03:59:14 PM »

Nance owners?HuhHuh?
What owners?HuhHuhHuh?
sn

« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2005, 04:02:50 PM »

EW, let me tell you one thing and remember this any dunce, goof , know it all, troll, ect. can become an owner in 15 min. as long as he has a couple of bucks!!!
Trainers shouldnt be corting owners, they should be courting GOOD owners!!!
Owners need to remember to RESPECT trainers!!! dont try and think because they are putting up the cash they need to call the shots Ala Jerry Jones, Paul!!!!
One thing that Team Nance will not tolerate is the owners calling the shots ala The LeVins!!!
Input is one thing but leave the training to us and we will make you $$$$ and you will have fun doing it. Ego maniac owners ala Paul from Jersy, can look elswhere and good luck!!!!

Does a stock broker allow his clients to come down to his office everyday and hawk his every move?Huh
burton

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2005, 04:16:09 PM »

Nance horses = 0
Nance owners = 0
Nance stalls = 0

Nance Bros. Inc. Stable = ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
njhorseman

« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2005, 04:26:55 PM »

Does a stock broker allow his clients to come down to his office everyday and hawk his every move?Huh
Who in his right mind uses a stockbroker any more? They're just money-sucking leeches...similar to horse trainers. Cheesy
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2005, 04:57:16 PM »

EW, let me tell you one thing and remember this any dunce, goof , know it all, troll, ect. can become an owner in 15 min. as long as he has a couple of bucks!!!
Trainers shouldnt be corting owners, they should be courting GOOD owners!!!
Owners need to remember to RESPECT trainers!!! dont try and think because they are putting up the cash they need to call the shots Ala Jerry Jones, Paul!!!!
One thing that Team Nance will not tolerate is the owners calling the shots ala The LeVins!!!
Input is one thing but leave the training to us and we will make you $$$$ and you will have fun doing it. Ego maniac owners ala Paul from Jersy, can look elswhere and good luck!!!!

What does putting up the cash get you?  Trainers (at least should be) are professionals, and their opinions should be respected.  At the same time, if an owner educates himself about the game -- there's no reason he can't get involved (if not make) many of the decisions involved in campaigning the horse.

I agree that the respect should be there, but it needs to go both ways.

Best,
EW

sn

« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2005, 05:05:52 PM »

If a owner educates himself enough to make decisions and call the shots then he should go get himself his trainers license and trian his own instead of hiring blood sucking trainers!!!!
Dan Nance

« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2005, 05:24:01 PM »

If a owner educates himself enough to make decisions and call the shots then he should go get himself his trainers license and trian his own instead of hiring blood sucking trainers!!!!

That's right SN. If they want to call the shots then they should get a trainers license and train the steeds themselves.

Like you said in a post I just read. There won't be any owners walking into our barn and thinking they can call the shots like the LeVins did to Larsen. Look what happened to Larsen and alot of other trainers who let their owners run them. Knowing Rucker like I do, I'll bet no owner in his stable ever tells him what to do. If they try he will send them packing just as we would do. SN, remember when you sent that guy " Gabe " out the door with his cigars.

You know yourself all our previous owners never told us anything except " MAKE US MONEY ", and that we did. I challenge any of our old owners to say we didn't make them money when they were teamed up with " TEAM NANCE.

I have a question for Paul? Is Paul still an owner today and racing horses?

Here's the bottom line. You're either an owner or a trainer. If you're an owner just keep your mouth shut and your hands open to collect purse checks and cash tickets at the windows when you're with TEAM NANCE.

P.S.
     Hey Burton
           We'll have stalls and will be winning races long before you get your license back to sell insurance again. 
burton

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2005, 05:49:29 PM »

Nance, you're referring to Gabe Caliendo.
He was connected.
He was also friends with Don Zimmer and Jim Frey of the Cubs.
Dan Nance

« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2005, 05:52:21 PM »

Nance, you're referring to Gabe Caliendo.
He was connected.
He was also friends with Don Zimmer and Jim Frey of the Cubs.

I know who "Gabe" is. So he's connected.....is that suppose to mean something to me? I'm connected too. You wouldn't want to meet up with my real father and his crew.
burton

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2005, 05:54:29 PM »

More threats from Nance Bros. Inc. former horse trainers and current compuslive gamblers.
So what else is new??
Dan Nance

« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2005, 05:59:22 PM »

More threats from Nance Bros. Inc. former horse trainers and current compuslive gamblers.
So what else is new??

What threats? You said Gabe was connected and I said so what I'm connected too.

And you have it wrong. Professional gamblers not compulsive gamblers.
njhorseman

« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2005, 11:06:28 PM »

Wow, passing the trainer's test is so hard!! I've never heard of anyone who didn't pass it eventually, even if they failed once or twice, have you?
njhorseman

« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2005, 11:12:44 PM »

I have a question for Paul? Is Paul still an owner today and racing horses?

Dan:
No, I don't have any horses at this moment, but I expect to be getting back in within a couple of days. I'm going back in partnership with a friend who was a trainer for many years, also has been out for a while, and now has the itch to get back in. I expect to buy one we have already looked at and talked about with the current trainer, in the next couple of days.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2005, 06:22:12 AM »

Some owners may know the business, but not choose to be a trainer as a career.  Does this mean they can't classify their horse?  Mean they can't pick a driver for their horse?

What does paying the bills get you?

I understand and respect the contribution of the trainer -- but where is the line drawn?  What does the $$ get you?

Best,
EW

TC

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2005, 08:05:46 AM »

Some owners may know the business, but not choose to be a trainer as a career.  Does this mean they can't classify their horse?  Mean they can't pick a driver for their horse?

I understand and respect the contribution of the trainer -- but where is the line drawn?  What does the $$ get you?

Best,
EW
Owners who don't kibbitz is an old school phenomenon.  The tax loopholes are closed, so most owners nowadays have a knowledge of the business, unlike the past.  That's why communication is the key when the trainer / owner meeting takes place before the "marriage" starts.  TC
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2005, 08:31:44 AM »

Best,
EW
EW,

Great question and the answer depends on whom you direct the question to. Since I have been on both sides of the spectrum, I will gladly offer this. As a trainer/driver, I actually encouraged my owners to get involved because it made my job easier. For example, I really like to use one driver on all my horses because of several reasons, mostly because I think it can become an unfair disadvantage for a horse to have a different pilot each week, but that is just my opinion. I always looked at it this way; many owners are more than owners, because it is my belief that owners who watch every single race on every single night have a tremendous advantage over those who do not. I find their opinions are very often helpful and more importantly, reliable. Back to the point, if an owner wanted to become hands on in my barn, they could and I encouraged it. When I did not drive, I always used Don Brooks, Yvon Demers, and lately, Brent Holland or Tony Morgan on all of my horses. Back in the 1980's, I had one particular owner who spent a good deal of money in my barn that did not like don Brooks or Yvon Demers driving his horses. He always wanted Paisley so I would just list Paisley on all of his horses and it made my job easy. I liked that because either way, I could not explain if the horse raced good or bad because Paisley was his selection and I really had nothing to do with the drive other than try to prepare the horse to the best of my abilities. I often tried explaining to this guy that he was at a disadvantage versus my other owners because Brooks or Demers would listen to my advice and if the horse needed an inside trip or was lame and needed some nurturing around the track for one week, they would do it, and Paisley would not.

As an owner, I would like the option of having some say about the driver but that is it. I think when you have owners wanting to enter their horses and pick out the class where they want their horses entered, it crosses the line and really ties the trainer’s hands, but this is only my opinion. I really believe communication is the key word here. If I was only an owner, the only say I would want is that Brent Holland drive my horse, other than that, I have no problem installing all the confidence in the world by letting my trainer do his thing. I think Dan will tell you that sometimes in this business; an owner can more or less become a real pain if they want to get too involved. I am not saying they should not be on top of things, but there comes a time when you have to let your conscience guide you and leave the trainer do his thing.

Briefly, I really encouraged owners to participate but as a trainer, I can honestly say that I would never stand for an owner entering or telling me what class to race their horses at because that directly affects my 5% earnings. It is okay if the owner wises to make a suggestion, but ultimately, I am the one who should have an idea of the horse's strengths and weaknesses. There is no perfect solution, only my experiences. Good Luck.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
njhorseman

« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2005, 10:29:32 AM »

Joe D:
I agree with virtually everything you said, with the exception of your not wanting the owner to classify his horses because it affects the trainer's 5%.

First any owner who substantially misclassifies his horses is going to get financially hurt far more quickly and deeply than the trainer, given the expense of keeping a horse in training and racing.

Second, that situation should naturally resolve itself very quickly. If the owner isn't getting checks, and refuses to listen to the trainer's advice on where to race the horse, he's most likely going to pull the horse and give it to another trainer, making it someone else's problem.

Just remember, the adage " a fool and his money are soon parted" was probably first written or spoken about a horse owner.  Wink 
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2005, 12:01:22 PM »

Joe D:
I agree with virtually everything you said, with the exception of your not wanting the owner to classify his horses because it affects the trainer's 5%.

First any owner who substantially misclassifies his horses is going to get financially hurt far more quickly and deeply than the trainer, given the expense of keeping a horse in training and racing.

Second, that situation should naturally resolve itself very quickly. If the owner isn't getting checks, and refuses to listen to the trainer's advice on where to race the horse, he's most likely going to pull the horse and give it to another trainer, making it someone else's problem.

Just remember, the adage " a fool and his money are soon parted" was probably first written or spoken about a horse owner.  Wink 

Paul;

I would normally agree with your assessment 100% except for one fact. What if a trainer ran into a person like this Dana Parham of Odds On fame who has more money than brains. It could definitely end up costing the trainer his 5% because the moneyman’s bankroll is endless and he does not care where, when or how his horses race. Scott N. told me that this guy is in the game for mere fact of having fun. How is it fun for the trainer when you are continually get your ass beat and cannot properly classify because the moneyman is having too much fun watching his ponies on a television screen? I always thought of it like this; the owner is paying the bills and giving me a job, so who am I to tell him anything other than the physical condition of his horse and the progress the horses is making in my barn. Aside from entering and classifying a horse, I was always willing to let the owner be “king for a day” and do whatever I could to make him money along with encouraging him to have fun in the business and enjoy himself. Life is too short not to!

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
Dan Nance

« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2005, 12:20:06 PM »

Does this mean they can't classify their horse?  Mean they can't pick a driver for their horse?

Best,
EW

To each his or her own. In my stable I do the classifing and I put up the driver. That's the way it is.

What does paying the bills get you?    PURSE MONEY, WIN PICTURES, AND THE THRILL OF GOING TO THE WINDOWS AND CASHING TICKETS.

I feel this way, if you don't like it then don't join the team.
sn

« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2005, 12:30:46 PM »

DN, thats why Ray Howard is the No.1 owner in Chi.!!!
He puts up the Money, never comes to the barn in the morn. lets the trainer call all the shots. pays all his bills ON TIME. !!!!!!!
All Ray wants to know is ,when are we in and how good a shot do we have.Huh?
And if you tell him we can win, He'll always have a ticket for you and the driver, of course!!!
but dont tell Ray I think we will get a check, cause he'll tell ya, "Buddy if I want a check I'll write myself one" I want to win and take a picture!!!!
Owners are owners they should do that. OWN!!! if they would like to call the shots, like paul said go take the test its a breeze anyone can pass it!!!

Wonder why Paul never took it though?Huh
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: