Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 03:26:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meanwhile on the Racetrack?  (Read 3701 times)
TommyCh

« on: May 08, 2007, 06:34:59 PM »

Arlington's priorities, this says it all: http://www.arlingtonpark.com/news/track_news/track_news_050707.html

It's really blatant this year.

O for purity such as Oaklawn!
Report to moderator   Logged
NIATROSS

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:20:53 PM »

Purity at Oaklawn ?? Don't get me wrong I like Oaklawn but there are an awful lot of people playing the machines at Oaklawn.
TommyCh

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 09:22:38 AM »

I never saw the machines at Oaklawn. Just went to the track, where the place was well populated and the concentration was on racing. I'm just saying that Arlington's marketing program is heavily skewed to the stroller crowd, more so than in past years, it seems. And Polytrack is part of the plan. The direct mail pieces I get at home reflect the same.
mel4600

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 09:28:59 AM »

Oaklawn is one of my favorites with one of the largest fan bases I have seen and yes they do indeed have slots.
Sir Blockheadd

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 09:46:07 AM »

a trip to arlington is a trip to the zoo, it is  a reflection of the way the women in the northwest suburbs dominate every aspect of life in suburbia there, and reflects on just how stoneless the men in that area are. they even control how the track is operated now, since time began a male dominted venue, now controled once agin by the mobs that just don't want to stay home and be loving parents, i guees its too difficult to be a mommy, easier to pretend you are a man.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 09:50:27 AM »

The Oaklawn slots are totally isolated from the racing, in their own enclosed room on the right side of the first floor. It's a fire hazard, with only one small entrance and exit, and makes no attempt whatsoever to expose slots players to horse racing. Except the indoor paddock, which they would see when they come in the building.
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 09:54:39 AM »

You can easily enter Oaklawn without even noticing they _have_ slots there.

One of my favorite racetracks, and towns, although I felt as though I were the only Jew out of the 20,000 people there, haha.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 09:56:29 AM »

a trip to arlington is a trip to the zoo, it is  a reflection of the way the women in the northwest suburbs dominate every aspect of life in suburbia there, and reflects on just how stoneless the men in that area are. they even control how the track is operated now, since time began a male dominted venue, now controled once agin by the mobs that just don't want to stay home and be loving parents, i guees its too difficult to be a mommy, easier to pretend you are a man.

Not this misogynistic B.S. again.  thumbs down

There's room at Arlington for everyone. It's a big track. That includes women and kids out for a day to see horses. Kids love horses.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 09:57:25 AM »

One of my favorite racetracks, and towns, although I felt as though I were the only Jew out of the 20,000 people there, haha.

After the last trip, if I never hear the word truuuuuck again, it will be too soon.
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 10:01:10 AM »

This year's Derby was my second trip to Hot Springs and once again I took the scenic route, cutting across Missoura once I got to STL and then taking small highways through the Ozarks. Absolutely beautiful country. And, having spent a good deal of my life in Chicago and its suburbs, the rural culture/shacks/landscape is very interesting, very different from what you might find on Euclid Ave., or even Laramie.
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 10:01:42 AM »

Did you wear your yarmulke when you went there?
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 10:03:11 AM »

Hahahaha. You think I want to get lynched?

My friend asked, upon our entering the track, if we were at a 4H club meeting, commenting on how different the crowd is from that of Hawthorne and Sportsmans.
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 10:05:09 AM »

Not this misogynistic B.S. again.  thumbs down

There's room at Arlington for everyone. It's a big track. That includes women and kids out for a day to see horses. Kids love horses.

I agree. Arlington has ALWAYS been a fun racetrack for families to visit. When I was a kid, my Dad took our entire family there at least 3 to 4 times every summer. That was in the early 60's. I don't know why there are a few family bashers on here.
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 10:06:20 AM »

I was there Wednesday through Sunday for most of my childhood.
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 10:07:36 AM »

Hahahaha. You think I want to get lynched?

My friend asked, upon our entering the track, if we were at a 4H club meeting, commenting on how different the crowd is from that of Hawthorne and Sportsmans.

I just saw a picture recently (maybe posted by Terry ?). I think it was the apron of Oaklawn, and there were many many cowboy hats being worn.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 10:08:49 AM »

Kids at the track is how new racing fans are developed. They don't suddenly decide to start going to an OTB when they are 21.
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 10:10:23 AM »

I was there Wednesday through Sunday for most of my childhood.

Well yeah other than our family outings, as I've posted many times here before - I worked at Arlington every summer from 1965 through 1969 (when I enlisted). So, I was there from 5am until about 8pm on those days. Then on to Wayne's Pizza with the rest of the crew.
ChitownSteve75

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 10:26:19 AM »

Hey. When you guys go to Oaklawn, Don't forget to stop across the street at my uncles restaurant, Rocky's Corner. Go get your self an "Uppercut" Beef & Italian Sausage sandwich.

I was down there for the Rebel Stakes and had a great time. I'm also going down there in August for an NHC Handicap Contest and I'm gonna do some fishing for those Striper Bass that get to 50 LBS! 

ZENYATTA THE GREAT! NOT RA!
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 10:57:15 AM »

If you want to see the REAL target audience of Arlington Park, pick up the latest copy of Chicago Social (CS) magazine (it's free, for all you cheap bastards)

They have a 50 page or so, color, glossy paper, special advertising section in the middle of the magazine. I don't have to tell you who THAT is aimed at.

It must have cost a small fortune.
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 11:02:12 AM »

If you want to see the REAL target audience of Arlington Park, pick up the latest copy of Chicago Social (CS) magazine (it's free, for all you cheap bastards)

They have a 50 page or so, color, glossy paper, special advertising section in the middle of the magazine. I don't have to tell you who THAT is aimed at.

It must have cost a small fortune.

Here's the demographics:

http://www.modernluxury.com/ml-web/cs-media-demographics.html

From my understanding, the target audience is yuppies?
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 11:06:36 AM »

For those who don't want to visit the link, I'll provide some highlights of the characteristics of CS readers:

Uses professional landscaper: 92%
Purchase spa treatments: 86%
Spends more than $10,000 per year 
on new clothing or accessories: 61%

Maybe they'll buy a few Arlington Park hats.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 11:10:32 AM »

No, I believe the audience is rather further up the social scale than yuppies. This is the idle rich they are targeting.

Yuppies would pick it up just as a wish book.
abrunks2

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 11:11:11 AM »

Kids at the track is how new racing fans are developed. They don't suddenly decide to start going to an OTB when they are 21.

This is exactly true and I can attest to it personally as I'm definitely one of the younger ones in this forum.  My family went to Arlington a few times for social events and a couple times to see a friend's horse run. Other than that there were no other forces on me to get in the horse racing game.  Years later I am a consistent weekend warrior.

If Arlington gets a few 12 year olds hooked to racing at Derbypalooza it is worth a lot more then getting a 50 year old man interested.  With all due respect to the older people on this forum, the kid has 60 years of wagering ahead of him while the 50 year old only has 30.  That is my take on it.
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 11:16:12 AM »

No, I believe the audience is rather further up the social scale than yuppies. This is the idle rich they are targeting.

Yuppies would pick it up just as a wish book.

Do they think these people are actually going to bet their millions? Doubtful. I guess I referred to them as yuppies because I didn't know what term is actually applied to this class.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 11:22:35 AM »

Idle rich. The Paris Hilton crowd.

I think they are probably looking for Corporate sponsorship of some kind - either sponsor a race or have an event at the track.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: