Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 11:23:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $10 Cover charge at Hawthorne Grandstand  (Read 7229 times)
RunSuckerRun

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2005, 09:18:28 AM »

Y'all,

I spoke with Scott McMannis on Thursday afternoon and found out there's a $10 cover charge if you want to go upstairs (3rd floor) on the grandstand side.  The $10 doesn't include a free lunch, program or anything.
I guess those of you who are willing to shuck out a sawbuck are going to have a lot of leg room and available tellers.

-RSR
Report to moderator   Logged
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 03:57:54 AM »

how can you not love hawthorne LOL, im still amazed how many people jump on me here anytime i mention 1 negative thing about the place
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 12:41:34 PM »

how can you not love hawthorne LOL, im still amazed how many people jump on me here anytime i mention 1 negative thing about the place

Over/under on the cost of a simulcast carrel at Arlington for KY Derby, anyone?

laurajean

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 05:42:37 PM »

I did spend the $10 to come up to the 3rd floor. however it came with $10 of vouchers good at the snack bar upstairs, gift shop and customer service.  we had no problem using the vouchers at the snack bar or customer service center. the gift shop lady was very clear on her interpetation of the vouchers and would only take 1 dollar of the items I wanted to buy.  with the $20 dollars my husband and I had together we had lunch, bought the thermos at the customer service center and used $2 for part of the price on a breeders cup glass and Hawthorne shot glass.
Did I think this was a good piece of marketing? no
was I sorry I paid the cover charge? no
Horse Voice

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 07:07:10 PM »

Did I think this was a good piece of marketing? no
was I sorry I paid the cover charge? no

So, you got something of value in return for your 10 bucks. At AP, you'd get your seat and that's about it.

I thought it was smart move to benefit the Hawthorne 3rd floor regulars and others "in the know". It was very roomy up there, and without the once-a-year types clogging up the machines, Hawthorne was able to keep the middle door from the Turf Club open so we could cross over and bet in the handicapping center when the Turf Club betting stations were overwhelmed (which was pretty much all day long).

I hope Hawthorne continues to do this for future BC's, and future Triple Crown races too. As more people figure out that Hawthorne is the best place to bet in the Chicago area -- at least for those that like being treated like a valued customer -- reserving the Handicapping Center for customers willing to pay an additional premium will provide them an extra level of comfort for those that want it.

Don't want to pay the $10? No problem -- plenty of seating and machines throughout the rest of the 1st and 2nd levels of the grandstand. I don't see what the beef is. 
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 11:17:21 PM »

So, you got something of value in return for your 10 bucks. At AP, you'd get your seat and that's about it.

I hope Hawthorne continues to do this for future BC's, and future Triple Crown races too. As more people figure out that Hawthorne is the best place to bet in the Chicago area -- at least for those that like being treated like a valued customer -- reserving the Handicapping Center for customers willing to pay an additional premium will provide them an extra level of comfort for those that want it.

Don't want to pay the $10? No problem -- plenty of seating and machines throughout the rest of the 1st and 2nd levels of the grandstand. I don't see what the beef is. 

Hawthorne Voice, I see you are still in the promotions business for Refinery Downs.  They should pay you and make you a VP or something.  Oh, well, it was worth $10 to see Mr. D on those Hawthorne screens pushing those rent-a-jet planes for NetJet.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 11:26:12 PM »

Hawthorne Voice, I see you are still in the promotions business for Refinery Downs.  They should pay you and make you a VP or something.  Oh, well, it was worth $10 to see Mr. D on those Hawthorne screens pushing those rent-a-jet planes for NetJet.

Dan,

HV is correct in saying that they created a fair product, and seemed to do it for reasons beneficial to the customer...while still leaving the downstairs "normal."  There's nothing wrong with this at all.

I'll be honest.  I like the Arlington facility much more than Hawthorne (all things aside, and anyone who disagrees is crazy or full of it), but Hawthorne takes much better care of the customer, IMO.  It's also more cost-effective, and there's better places to actually play there.

Opinions are opinions, but he made a pretty fair statement.  You were the one that toed the party line.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
Horse Voice

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 12:21:45 AM »

Hawthorne Voice, I see you are still in the promotions business for Refinery Downs.  They should pay you and make you a VP or something.

Full disclosure: on top of the nice Breeders Cup package they gave me -- free admission, programs, and buffet in the Turf Club for 2 plus free valet parking -- they also gave me a 2005 Breeders Cup jacket, a very nice Micro-Suede that goes for $125 on the NTRA site. (When the invite said that I would receive "Breeders Cup Memorabilia", I asssumed that it would be a drinking glass, or a hat.)

Do I "promote" Hawthorne? Unequivocably, yes! -- because I know how the other half lives, and I know that as a bettor, you don't have to put up with being barely tolerated by racetrack management, in favor of horse owners, business world chieftains, and celebrities, all of whom contribute next to zippo for what really counts in this game: betting handle.   

I shoved hundreds of thousands of dollars through the windows at AP during the few years I was doing my betting there, and they didn't even know my name. Oh, they have the Twin Spires thing now, but it's such a poor program that it's little more than an insult to the thinking bettor.

Hawthorne spolis me and treats me like I'm some kind of betting whale -- which I am not -- but isn't it nice to be treated better than you expect? Tell us, Dan -- for all of your professed loyalty to the place, what exactly has AP done for you? How have you been recognized as the good, loyal customer (and tireless promoter / defender) that you are for them?

CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 01:19:16 AM »

Tell us, Dan -- for all of your professed loyalty to the place, what exactly has AP done for you? How have you been recognized as the good, loyal customer (and tireless promoter / defender) that you are for them?

Dan gets what all us small fry get when we go to Arlington: Allowed to enter in exchange for $6, and totally ignored after that.
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 02:01:08 AM »

Just FYI, definitely not a knock, but CDSN has a policy where stockowners get in free to their facilities, and Dan does own enough shares to qualify - the requirement amount is not high at all. 

But if he ever sold it, I'm sure they'd knock $1 off for being a fine Twin Spires Club member! 
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 12:54:09 PM »

Just FYI, definitely not a knock, but CDSN has a policy where stockowners get in free to their facilities, and Dan does own enough shares to qualify - the requirement amount is not high at all. 

So he gets in for free before being ignored, to get his thrills any way he can, like watching Dick D. do NetJets commercials.

On a crowded simulcast day Hawthorne set aside a nice simulcast part of their facility for people wanted a reserved seat and who did not want to be crowded, charged for the privilege, and gave away some premiums to go with it. Big deal. Arlington will do something along those lines for KY Derby day mark my words. Arlington charges extra every single day to sit at its simulcast carrels as it is. (Though maybe some areas went "free" this year?)

Yes Ed, the physical Arlington facility is nicer. I don't know anyone who disputes that. But at Hawthorne they try harder to engage you and treat you like someone special and keep you coming back no matter who you are. At Arlington the feeling is more like, "Well, if you show up, that's nice, and if you don't, that's okay, too. You paid your $6? That's great. Now get lost and don't bother us while you're here. Feel free to take in the marble staircases and Queen's silks, though."
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 01:18:17 PM »

Yes Ed, the physical Arlington facility is nicer. I don't know anyone who disputes that. But at Hawthorne they try harder to engage you and treat you like someone special and keep you coming back no matter who you are. At Arlington the feeling is more like, "Well, if you show up, that's nice, and if you don't, that's okay, too. You paid your $6? That's great. Now get lost and don't bother us while you're here. Feel free to take in the marble staircases and Queen's silks, though."

I'll be honest. I like the Arlington facility much more than Hawthorne (all things aside, and anyone who disagrees is crazy or full of it), but Hawthorne takes much better care of the customer, IMO. It's also more cost-effective, and there's better places to actually play there.

Opinions are opinions, but he made a pretty fair statement. You were the one that toed the party line.

Best,
EW

Don't worry -- we agree, Terry!    Wink

Best,
EW

CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 02:13:13 PM »

Don't worry -- we agree, Terry!    Wink

I worded my post wrong. I wasn't arguing with you.

Should have been more in the line of "as Edward said", then the argument directed to those making a big deal out of the one day reserved section.

Hey - On Kentucky Derby Days past Hawthorne has extended pay parking all the way out to Cicero almost! Call in the cover charge police! Every other weekend it seems they have a private function in that closed off area of 2nd floor grandstand, and Joe Schmoe can't go in there. Oh my God call the Mayor of Cicero!
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 02:16:23 PM »

I worded my post wrong. I wasn't arguing with you.

Should have been more in the line of "as Edward said", then the argument directed to those making a big deal out of the one day reserved section.

Hey - On Kentucky Derby Days past Hawthorne has extended pay parking all the way out to Cicero almost! Call in the cover charge police! Every other weekend it seems they have a private function in that closed off area of 2nd floor grandstand, and Joe Schmoe can't go in there. Oh my God call the Mayor of Cicero!

No worries.  Arlington is nice, but (and it doesn't hurt that they have harness) much prefer to play Hawthorne.  I like "creature comforts" but if I go to the track, I go to play -- and I think Hawthorne does a better job for the player.

Plus, many of the staff at Haw are top notch -- haven't had much experience with the t-bred folks but for harness -- very good people.

Best,
EW

APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 05:33:32 PM »

I think it all comes down to what we want from the track.  The money that I push through the windows would rival what I used to put in the church collection plate.  I like picking horses, but I do not spend much time doing the research or putting much actual bucks into it.

What I like about a track is the racing scene!  I like the setting, paddock, racing people, and the thrill of the big stakes races.  I want to be outside, moving around.  Betting is only a small part of it.

From the beloved description that you are all giving me of Hawthorne, it sounds like a damn nice big OTB.

CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 05:50:43 PM »

I think it all comes down to what we want from the track. 

What I like about a track is the racing scene!  I like the setting, paddock, racing people, and the thrill of the big stakes races.  I want to be outside, moving around.  Betting is only a small part of it.

From the beloved description that you are all giving me of Hawthorne, it sounds like a damn nice big OTB.

We were talking about the BC, Dan. The BC races were not held at Hawthorne. Obviously what is important then is the TV's and the TV viewing area and the OTB-like amenities.

During live racing you can go outside at Hawthorne and get close up to the horses if you want. What is more, since they have crummy weather dates, when the weather is bad you can stay inside and warm and still see the horses without having to look at the TV. Impossible at Arlington - unless you're in an expensive private area. Paddock at Arlington is definitely better than the Haw paddock. At AP you hang around the paddock to spy on trainers. At Haw you hang around the crossover bar. Apron at Arlington is nicer. Outdoor grandstand seats are cleaner at AP in recent years. Outdoor view of races at Hawthorne is closer and way better. Plus no punk in a red coat comes to boot you out of them. No trees block your view at Hawthorne. No bleachers ugly up the infield at Arlington. Trees in background at Arlington. Barns in background at Haw. Air sometimes smells industrial at Haw. Usually does not stink at AP. Worse airport/airplane noise at AP, oddly. Much more but I'm tired of it.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 05:52:26 PM »

We were talking about the BC, Dan. The BC races were not held at Hawthorne. Obviously what is important then is the TV's and the TV viewing area and the OTB-like amenities.

During live racing you can go outside at Hawthorne and get close up to the horses if you want. What is more, since they have crummy weather dates, when the weather is bad you can stay inside and warm and still see the horses without having to look at the TV. Impossible at Arlington - unless you're in an expensive private area. Paddock at Arlington is definitely better than the Haw paddock. At AP you hang around the paddock to spy on trainers. At Haw you hang around the crossover bar. Apron at Arlington is nicer. Outdoor grandstand seats are cleaner at AP in recent years. Outdoor view of races at Hawthorne is closer and way better. Plus no punk in a red coat comes to boot you out of them. No trees block your view at Hawthorne. No bleachers ugly up the infield at Arlington. Trees in background at Arlington. Barns in background at Haw. Air sometimes smells industrial at Haw. Usually does not stink at AP. Worse airport/airplane noise at AP, oddly. Much more but I'm tired of it.

Very good assessment, Terry.

IMO, the third-floor outdoor seats at Hawthorne are the most underrated seats in Chicago for horse racing!

Best,
Ew

Scav

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 06:51:19 PM »

But if he ever sold it, I'm sure they'd knock $1 off for being a fine Twin Spires Club member! 

You can also just purchase an owner's license for $25 or something like that and get in free also
big wally

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 10:23:35 PM »

What outdoor view? Third floor grandstand is the only place to see the races. The rest of the plant sucks. AP is much better.Old sportmans was a  better facility than Hawthorne.  I do agree when it is cold AP is not the place to be and it is easier to bet at Hawthorne.

CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2005, 06:53:29 PM »

You can also just purchase an owner's license for $25 or something like that and get in free also

You are required to name a trainer and horse when you turn in your license application. I'm not sure if they really check it, but I don't think anyone can just walk in and get an owner's license. You also have to get fingerprinted if it is a new license, and that's extra money. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: