Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 23, 2014, 09:34:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Nationals/Windy City Pace new format  (Read 811 times)
The Panderosa

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2007, 11:37:40 AM »

This year they are having these two races with no eliminations, and only the top money winners will be allowed in each race.

I think this is a very bad idea.  I don't see how you can make stake payments for these races, and they are not cheap by any means, and not be allowed to enter your horse if he's not one of the top money winners.  What if you miss part of the year with an injury?  What if one of the top money winners is lame coming into the race?  Horses have made the finals of these races in the past that haven't shown more than conditional races prior to the race.  It just seems ridiculous to me, but I guess they are trying to make these races have a little more prestiege maybe?  Too late for that Chicago...
Report to moderator   Logged
twiliteguy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 12:22:06 PM »

I agree.............isn't the T-bred Triple Crown races based just on earnings?
I wish they had a graded system for which you can accumulate points nationwide  so all entries in $100k+ races without elims. can be based on.  How many of these races( high purse ) don't use elims?

Guy
The Panderosa

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 01:50:23 PM »

You agree on no eliminations or you agree there should be elims?
Fillmore Bear

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 03:02:14 PM »

Racing once instead of twice is a pretty big improvement for the owners.
NIATROSS

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 05:14:44 PM »

The KY Derby is the only triple crown race that uses earnings the other 2 races don't draw enough entries.The Breeders Cup also uses it as part of their process but not the final deciding point.There is so many options available these  days and people looking for the easier spot most of these races don't fill.
twiliteguy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 05:41:23 PM »

Let me clarify my position, I would prefer elims but if no choice was given I'd like to see graded races and point totals to qualify instead of purse earnings.

Guy
The Panderosa

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 06:16:55 PM »

I agree racing once is an improvement.  However;  how to you make up for a horse that misses part of a year for an injury?  Also,  if the Windy City for example, even has elims, half the time they have 8 or lesss, usually the top 2-3 money earners earn a bye into the final anyway.  The fact is, rarely do you see this in harness racing, and why does Chicago have to be the first to do it?

Easy, Chicago is the first to screw most things up in harness racing these days.
Fillmore Bear

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 06:24:13 PM »

The reason to do it is to draw nominations and entries.For the non Chicago horses there is much less expense if they come for the final and go home.And for any genuine stakes caliber horse,having to go elims effectively cuts the purse in half.Same money,2 starts instead of one.
The Panderosa

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 11:01:24 AM »

It will be interesting to see if this actually does draw more horses, and how much it will take in earnings to get in...
NIATROSS

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 12:18:06 PM »

There are 3 things wrong with the Windy City Pace.The first being the size of the purse,anything less than 500K is not going to draw any of the top caliber.There are so many opportunities out east why ship for less money.The 2nd thing is it being on the half draw bad and your screwed.The last being the time of year when many of the  top ones are done for the year or pointing to the Breeders Crown.
Harness1

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »

Niatross - great points you make.

I know owners hate heat racing, but it worked fine for the top horses in the 80's.

If the draw has enough horses there should be eliminations.  The idea a horse gets a bye into the final is a joke.

Hambletonian was special when a horse won it in 2 or 3 heats. Eliminations the week before are just not the same.  I know TV plays a big role in that decision.   horse shoe
tmorgan

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 10:26:49 PM »

In my opinion the reason is to save purse money. They can only use a certain agreed upon amount to stake races. If the IHHA doesn't give them enough money for elims & finals, they have two choices, cut the purse or pay for elims out of their pockets. Guess which one they picked?
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 11:25:46 PM »

Every race should have elims -- but, it should be for a limited number of spots.  Top 7 earnings are in, top 3 of the elims get in.

Just my opinion.  It's the best of both Worlds.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: