Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 30, 2014, 10:21:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aminorex Mystery Solved?  (Read 3257 times)
Fillmore Bear

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 03:06:14 PM »

There's no such thing as meaningless trace of a Class I drug. Class I drugs have no business in horses at all. Except "environmental contamination"  Roll Eyes
There are meaningless amounts of class 1 drugs in Lake Michigan.There are trace amounts of class 1 drugs on many of the bills we use as money.Would you be willing to be punished for the money you have in your pocket?
Report to moderator   Logged
tonymfan

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 03:14:09 PM »

There are meaningless amounts of class 1 drugs in Lake Michigan.There are trace amounts of class 1 drugs on many of the bills we use as money.Would you be willing to be punished for the money you have in your pocket?

If my money was in a regulated contest with rules against substances on it I'd make sure I washed it first. Not cry after.

Part of the work the Waterman group was doing is about threshold levels. Anyone know if there's an Aminorex threshold and if Ontario adopted the recomendation?
Fillmore Bear

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 04:42:29 PM »

Considering the circumstances that led Tony M to decide to never train again (or at least to never be listed again) it seems rather odd that Tonymfan would so blindly support the testing status quo.Your hero concluded that anyone who trained was at risk of suspensions for positives no matter how careful he was.And quit forever because of it.
AmyHollar
FREE THE TROLLS!

I didn't fail gym. I just didn't try to damn hard

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 05:02:27 PM »

by: Tom LaMarra
February 12 2007 Article # 8919

Article Tools

A Louisiana research project that shows racehorses can come into contact with drug residue just about anywhere on the backstretch has some horsemen calling for an end to "zero tolerance" drug-testing policies and creation of a national panel to examine data before inadvertent positives are called.

The study, presented by Steven Barker, PhD, during the National Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association Medication Committee meeting Feb. 9 in Hot Springs, Ark., revealed small quantities of six drugs were found in samples taken from ship-in stalls, the test barn, and pools of water at Louisiana racetracks. Even dust samples were tested and trace amounts of substances were found.

Barker, the chemist for the Louisiana State Racing Commission who plans to publish his findings, said small amounts of phenylbutazone, flunixin, naproxen, caffeine, furosemide, and cotinine, a metabolite of nicotine, were discovered in samples. Flunixin, a widely used non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, was the most prevalent, the study showed.

Some drugs were detected from just wiping the interior of stalls.

"We could have gone to other areas of that stall and found other drugs," Barker said during his presentation to horsemen. "Clearly, the backside of a racetrack is heavily contaminated with drugs. Hopefully, you're scared."

With highly sensitive testing methods and zero-tolerance policies, a trainer could be charged with a positive for having one molecule of a substance in a sample, Barker said. Other potential sources of trace amounts of drugs are feed, pasture grasses, improper handling of samples, and mistakes by veterinarians, he said.

Barker said even with precautions in stable areas, drug residue wouldn't be eliminated. Therefore, he said threshold levels for drugs are a necessity.

"First of all, we need to abolish the concept of zero tolerance," Barker said. "It's an over-simplified attempt to regulate drugs. There's no sense to continue that nonsense. You can't eliminate drug contamination, so you have to approach it at the interpretation-of-data end."

Kent Stirling, executive director of the Florida HBPA and chairman of the National HBPA Medication Committee, criticized laboratories and regulators. He said labs get business "by showing regulators they can find things," and regulators "believe any time there is a (positive) it was an attempt by the trainer to compromise a race. A lot of people judge labs by number of calls."

Stirling said the suggestion of a drug-positive review panel should be taken to the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium for consideration. Barker said the panel would "offer some kind of political cover for the industry to establish better thresholds."

The RMTC is in the process of having research performed to establish threshold levels for almost 50 therapeutic medications. Barker, Stirling, and other said thresholds are important given regulations that don't keep in step with technology.

Barker claimed about 80% of drug positives fall under the category of having no impact on a horse outside of 24 hours. "These comments I've heard that any level (of a substance) could potentially have an impact on performance ... oh, crap."

In another presentation, Thomas Tobin, MVB, PhD, Dipl. ABT, of the University of Kentucky discussed caffeine and its metabolites. Tobin, an adviser to the National HBPA, noted the variation in threshold levels for caffeine in various jurisdictions--30 nanograms per milliliter in urine in Hong Kong to 1,000 nanograms per milliliter in Canada.

"Caffeine is the most widely consumed psychoactive substance on earth," said Tobin, who is continuing to research the drug. "It's a hunting license for a chemist."

Robert Lewis, DVM, a former president of the American Association of Equine Practitioners and currently the organization's representative on the RMTC, said the RMTC has been effective at getting people to focus on the issues. He cited the group's recommendation to regulate steroids, an action he called proactive.

"The RMTC at first had competing agendas, but no one group dominated," Lewis said. "It has been a largely educational process. It has been rewarding to watch the evolution."

As for Barker's research project, Lewis said it should be presented to the RMTC.

"It opens everybody's eyes to hear this kind of material," Lewis said. "I think it takes peer pressure from the leaders of this industry to get the attention of regulators in these different states. The disparity in the way labs in this country handle post-race samples has been a huge problem."

Do you want cream with that cup of shut the hell up?
the DailyDaley

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007, 05:11:05 PM »

Very nice article Amy dude. Unfortunately I didn't see aminorex listed, but maybe they weren't looking for it. Come to think of it, has there been ANY AMINOREX positives in cajun country.

I don't think so.

Thank you - Amy
tonymfan

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2007, 06:05:23 PM »

Very nice article Amy dude. Unfortunately I didn't see aminorex listed, but maybe they weren't looking for it.

All of the drugs listed were common therapeutics. None were class I.
Doug Frosch

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 06:06:29 AM »

Good Morning Double D,

How have you been.  Pretty quiet huh.  doh
Doug Frosch

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2007, 12:33:12 PM »

Double D,

How is that "nefarious" slant on the aminorex thing working out. crossedfingers

My Data is solid as a ROCK. Lets just wait and see.  dude

doh doh doh doh doh doh doh doh doh doh doh
the DailyDaley

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2007, 10:01:36 PM »

Let's see.

The common thread.

Belcher, Aboid, Mulrooney, Spence, Sokol - treated by a common vet?

Marvin Goldberg - Speed Shop -

Freedom Health - Succeed -

Self serving test results -

Excused from Pa racing -

Testified at Jenny's hearing in Harrisburg Pa and acknowledge RESPONSIBILITY-

Now who might that party be dude.

Doug Frosch

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2007, 12:45:51 AM »

Let's see.

The common thread.

Belcher, Aboid, Mulrooney, Spence, Sokol - treated by a common vet?Did Belcers Vet work until 2002 then in 2005,Never Have worked on an Aboid Trained horse, Mulrooney and I were Partners, Never have worked on a Spence horse, Have done minimal work for Sokol none in the past 2 1/2 years

Marvin Goldberg - Speed Shop - Ended my time with Equirace in August 2001

Freedom Health - Succeed - VP Veterinary Affairs, 2004 to current, Excellent product I might add.

Self serving test results -Self Serving only because idiots like you have accused me of it for 2 years now. What are you going to say when all the commissions back this finding. Wait let me guess, I bought them off.

Excused from Pa racing - What Moron told you that. Have never served 1 day suspension in my life in Pa. or anywhere else for that matter

Testified at Jenny's hearing in Harrisburg Pa and acknowledge RESPONSIBILITY-That is correct. Is there something illegal about that.

Now who might that party be-Your guess is as good as mine. By the way any word from the OSRC,ORC or the Pa.HRC about these "Aminorex Positives"
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: