Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 21, 2014, 07:18:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help for Hawthorne gathering  (Read 3481 times)
mj

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2007, 10:18:30 AM »

My family and I are  planning on goning to Hawthorne on Saturday.   Any tips??

Thanks clover
Report to moderator   Logged
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 10:47:48 AM »

Watch out for security. They are jerks. If they say you can't take pictures, refer them to the Carey family.

Get there early if you plan on getting a table.

A family outing to Hawthorne?? Was the tour of the recycling plant closed or is everybody in the family a horse player?
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 10:54:35 AM »

Take a tour of the old Hawthorne Hotel at 26th and Laramie.  Capones old digs.
Stop at Roosevelt and Cicero and ask any of the young ladies if they would care to date.
Stop any car not carrying Caucasians at the Norhtern edge of the town of Cicero and tell them to turn around.
Stop in at Club Chiko Liquours for a shot and a beer, and then grab a 40 for the trip home.
OFO
pjcleve

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 11:17:13 AM »

Thanks clover

Why? Was the tour of the local morgue cancelled?

Pete
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 11:27:54 AM »

Why? Was the tour of the local morgue cancelled?

No, that's still on. Every day, corner of Euclid and Wilke. Real helpful, Pete.  Roll Eyes

Newbe, I'd suggest you and the family go up to the Gold Cup room and get a table or two there. Good food and a good spot for a group. Unless you rented a private room, there really isn't much else as far good group areas.

Enter the Laramie gate and pay a couple bucks to park, then go in the door by valet parking and up the elevators.
Sir Blockheadd

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 12:01:03 PM »

Thanks clover

bring plenty of bettin money !

mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:49:20 PM »

bring mace or a gun!!!!! 
Round Table

And then I saw her, coming out of the sun.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 01:10:04 PM »

bring mace or a gun!!!!! 

Cheesy Whjen he says a "family outing" that's probably what he means.

The Gold cup room is what I would sit.

They ought to return to Tampa and fix the mistake they made.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 03:21:28 PM »

A "Family" outing?? Oh.

maroon
pjcleve

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 08:05:44 PM »

No, that's still on. Every day, corner of Euclid and Wilke. Real helpful, Pete.  Roll Eyes

I knew I'd smoke you out on this one T.

I know you think you're the only person on this forum that's permitted to inject some saracasm in your responses but -

Newbe, I was actually trying to, in a Bjerky kinda way, helpfully suggest you avoid the joint -particularly if you're bringing kids. The weather will be cold, the racing will suck, if your favorite number is 7 you won't be able to bet it,  and you won't find much comfort inside this Stickney mausoleum. Try the Planetarium or Field Museum, you family will find it a lot more enjoyable.

But I'm just one of those yuppies from the NW burbs so don't take my word for it, discover the wonderful world of Hawthuck for yourself.

Pete

Horse Voice

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 08:14:27 PM »

bring mace or a gun!!!!! 

Only if you're afraid of your own shadow, or you're some other sort of Unnecessarily Nervous Caucasian.

If you are as pretentious as some of our other Hawthorne Basher posters here, you'd better not come -- elitism has a stink that overpowers even the nearby Sanitary Canal. We'd prefer it if that smell were kept in the hoity-toity suburbs, thank you very much.

Other than that, you can leave the weapons at home.
Horse Voice

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 08:17:02 PM »

Why, I can hear one of the "Effete Elite" posting his reply at this very moment!
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 08:44:02 PM »

Yeah, really. You have more to fear from the Haw Security than any of the patrons or the neighborhood.
David

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 09:42:02 PM »

It's sort of funny that everyone took his request for "tips" as to where to sit, eat, drink etc. and not a live horse or two to make the outing worthwhile
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 09:56:45 PM »

We didn't want to ruin his outing with our lousy picks!

Hahaaha!
edwarren

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 09:57:18 PM »

Yeah, good catch.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 10:58:59 PM »

I knew I'd smoke you out on this one T.

I knew you would smoke yourself out as your usual idiot, too. There's no other tracks running now. If the family wants to do a family outing now there's one choice.
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 11:06:30 PM »

It's sort of funny that everyone took his request for "tips" as to where to sit, eat, drink etc. and not a live horse or two to make the outing worthwhile

Good catch David...you also did NOT give him any picks - BAD BAD BOY!!!

Race 1 - 1-6 boxed and 1/6 with 1/6 with all - trifecta
Race 2 - 5-6-8 boxed exacta and also trifecta
Race 3 - 1-3-4 boxed exacta and also trifecta
impostersstink

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 01:19:37 AM »

Make sure your car doesn't break down!! Shocked
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 08:52:42 AM »

if your favorite number is 7 you won't be able to bet it, 

This kind of flew under the radar but it's one of the funnier quotes I've seen on here.
I never thought about it but if your lucky number is 7 you don't get much action at Hawthorne LOL
Horse Voice

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 09:13:23 AM »

This kind of flew under the radar but it's one of the funnier quotes I've seen on here.
I never thought about it but if your lucky number is 7 you don't get much action at Hawthorne LOL

It's more from personal knowledge and frustration on Pete's part -- he's a big AP fan and his lucky number is 6. He hasn't been able to play a "hunch" daily double for about 5 years.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 09:34:40 AM »

Hey, there's always 6 horses ENTERED at AP. It's only after scratches that you get the 5 horse fields in 3 of the 9 races.

Tongue
Horse Voice

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 10:37:35 AM »

Hey, there's always 6 horses ENTERED at AP. It's only after scratches that you get the 5 horse fields in 3 of the 9 races.

Tongue

Right, that's how I remember it. Pete's ripping on the current field size woes at Hawthorne is specious at best. Maybe he's secretly dreading the upcoming AP meet and feels like he'd better get his shots in now.

Hey, I have a riddle for ya:

Q: What do you call a 6 horse race at AP?

(scroll down)

(did you guess it?)

A: The "FEATURE".   Cheesy
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 10:52:39 AM »

While I am no fan of Arlington, the current meeting at Hawthorne is a complete embaressment.
How many horses are coming back on 7 or 8 days rest?
You see enitre fields that faced each other the week before facing each other again a week later.
How many maiden and NW2L claiming races have we seen?
This is a fine Saturday card....4 maiden races and 2 bottom level claiming races out of the 9 races on the card.
Will the lights be turned on up on the 3rd floor?
How much pressure is on the small barns being asked to enter horses are aren't fit or ready to run to help a race get 6 entries.
Every meeting we hear about the "influx of horses" that will arrive when a specific track closes.
So which track will these horses be coming from this time?
Someone posted before the meeting started that the fields would be short and Jim Miller was quick to respond that the poster was wrong.
Well.........
Horse Voice

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 10:55:43 AM »

If it's not too late, here's a few plays for later in the Hawthorne card -- the early part of the card is pretty weak:

Race 7: A *12* horse field with an old-time Detroit Race Course trainer / jock combo on #8, Private Horse. ML 6-1, but you probably won't see it. Take 4-1 and run. You will get an honest try for your money.

Race 9: Same trainer / jock combo as my pick in race 7, on #5, Professor G.R. ML 10-1 and you will probably get it this time, but watch the board for clues.

Throw in your choice(s) from race 8 (Hula Chief stakes), and you might have the basis for some nice late DD / P3 / P4 plays (sorry, can't help ya with race 6, it's head scratcher and Kirby's fave is possible but no slam dunk).

Horse Voice

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2007, 11:07:59 AM »

While I am no fan of Arlington, the current meeting at Hawthorne is a complete embaressment.
How many horses are coming back on 7 or 8 days rest?
You see enitre fields that faced each other the week before facing each other again a week later.
How many maiden and NW2L claiming races have we seen?
This is a fine Saturday card....4 maiden races and 2 bottom level claiming races out of the 9 races on the card.
Will the lights be turned on up on the 3rd floor?
How much pressure is on the small barns being asked to enter horses are aren't fit or ready to run to help a race get 6 entries.
Every meeting we hear about the "influx of horses" that will arrive when a specific track closes.
So which track will these horses be coming from this time?
Someone posted before the meeting started that the fields would be short and Jim Miller was quick to respond that the poster was wrong.
Well.........

I agree that the meet is off to a terrible start, but an embarrassment? No more so than the cruddy cards AP has been presenting for the last 3 to 4 years, that's for sure.

Enough with the "will the lights be on?" crappola from people who obviously don't ever go down to Hawthorne. I'm there every weekend. The lights are on. The bathroooms are clean. There is paper in the tote machines. It's definitely not Taj Mahal at Euclid and Wilke, but it's safe and serviceable for horse racing patrons.

The meet is suffering because the issue is LACK OF HORSES IN ILLINOIS due to BETTER PURSE MONEY AVAILABLE DAMN NEAR ANYWHERE ELSE. It has nothing, I repeat, nothing to do with how the Hawthorne plant itself is run and maintained. If the purse money was here, the horses would be here and the horsemen wouldn't give a damn if the 3rd floor lights were on or not.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2007, 11:19:48 AM »

It's more from personal knowledge and frustration on Pete's part -- he's a big AP fan and his lucky number is 6. He hasn't been able to play a "hunch" daily double for about 5 years.

The part I don't understand is Pete tells us he always makes money on short fields at AP. His dislike of short fields at Haw must stem from the fact that there's usually more than two horses in the fields with a chance to win.

Just out of curiosity does anyone remember big fields in February and March even going back to old Sportsman's? We have this same discussion about short fields at the beginning of the season every year.
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2007, 12:24:04 PM »

Not only were the fields short during the Sportsman's meet, but at the original Sportsman's, they limited the fields to 10 horses.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 12:54:19 PM »

I don't understand why we're racing 5 days a week now, but in May will go to 4 because of the horse shortage.  doh

Parker
Perfection Epitomized

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007, 03:55:13 PM »

Newbe, hope you had a nice day at the races.  The this track that track bull gets old fast.  Like I said before, better than Fairmount.
mj

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2007, 11:39:09 PM »

The family had a wonderful time.   Much cleaner 1st floor than I had remember.    My man won one of the giveaways.   I did venture up to the 3rd floor to say hi to Scott M and company.   It was so nice we may  try it again.   Even the outriders were friendly.   My youngest was so pleased that he could he mac and cheese.    AP never has offered that.    Thanks for all the suggestions/advice
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2007, 11:42:20 PM »

I stopped up on the 3rd floor again today and the lights are dim.
The toteboard still was having problems.
Nice facility  Roll Eyes
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2007, 10:46:48 AM »

I stopped up on the 3rd floor again today and the lights are dim.
The toteboard still was having problems.
Nice facility  Roll Eyes

If I'm not mistaken, the lighting on the 3rd floor was intentionally changed to reduce the glare on the TV monitors. It was something people were complaining about.
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2007, 12:02:42 PM »

I need to stop out there to see what y'all are talking about. Can the betters read their programs with this new lighting? I can't figure what the complaint would be other than that.
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2007, 02:56:21 PM »

I'm not there often enough to know if people have been griping about the glare.
If the masses want the lights low up on the 3rd floor...then so be it.
I did hear griping about the self-serve machines located on the west side of the 3rd floor.
Yes the bathrooms are very clean. They get points for that.
Qaulity of racing.....looka t today's 5th.
An entry-level allowance race and this field is SLOWand bad.
How hard did they have to hustle to get 6 entries?
You can't fill a NW 1 with the horses you have on the grounds?
This is one of the worst NW1 you will see.
When are the horses going to arrive?Huh??
edwarren

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2007, 03:35:22 PM »

fields were kinda small everywhere today. HAW handle doesn't seem super bad. The cart horse in the 6th is taking money.
Battled, Tired

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2007, 06:22:33 PM »

Made the journey yesterday and had a great time!  Crowd was decent, racing was unpredictable and other than a needing a few more degrees in temperature, it was a good day.  One thing I was sorry to see go (and frankly it could have left decades ago) was green programs.  It used to be a nice touch in the old days next door on St. Paddys Day.

Hung out in the paddock all day, spent some time with Frank C who's back from FLA, and unfortunately didn't get a chance to wander over to say hey to Jim Miller.  Sorry Jim!

By the way....where the hell did Roger A. Brueggemann come from all of a sudden?  Funny exchange in the paddock when Frank C. yelled out to Roger "hey Roger, you are tearing it up...you are the man!  Roger retorted "you aren't coming back, are you?"

As for the field size, other than Florida, they are short everywhere.  Bealuh has been running tiny fields when they always have 10, and they running only 4 days and the only game in the state.  Aqueduct has been small....FG has been typically small.  The Illinois bred maiden races are overfilled at HAW...the others will come.

FishHack76

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2007, 09:29:20 PM »

Don't forget Rosetrack Rosie was there the other day too! Smiley
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2007, 09:31:42 PM »

Was Rosie in all of her sartorial splendor?
Battled, Tired

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2007, 09:58:02 PM »

She was there Friday and Saturday....a lovely bright green outfit complete with a black satellite dish hat on Saturday to celebrate the holiday!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: