Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 01, 2014, 09:29:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 2584 times)
our favorite omen

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2007, 07:24:37 PM »

I grew up in a house where both my parents smoked, and when we had family over for parties, there might be 15 people smoking in a small house.  But, the smoke that I encountered walking up to the second floor of Arlington Trackside might have been the most overpowering that I have ever encountered.  This must STOP.  By the way, I saw on the other forum (***), that John Franks has stated that his wife is gravely ill.  Say a prayer.
OFO
Report to moderator   Logged
pjcleve

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 10:25:24 PM »

I grew up in a house where both my parents smoked, and when we had family over for parties, there might be 15 people smoking in a small house.  But, the smoke that I encountered walking up to the second floor of Arlington Trackside might have been the most overpowering that I have ever encountered.  This must STOP.  By the way, I saw on the other forum (***), that John Franks has stated that his wife is gravely ill.  Say a prayer.
OFO

OFO, I agree the smoke is very heavy. I now either enter on the track side of the facility and go up those stairs (there is no smoke and no smokers), or if entering on the Euclid Ave side I go through the first floor and then up the track side stairs. It's a bit inconvenient but it makes a heck of a difference.

Pete
ABBY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 10:30:08 PM »

You should thank the smoker's. We pay more taxes than non-smokers.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 10:40:06 PM »

I grew up in a house where both my parents smoked, and when we had family over for parties, there might be 15 people smoking in a small house.  But, the smoke that I encountered walking up to the second floor of Arlington Trackside might have been the most overpowering that I have ever encountered.  This must STOP.

Go to the Niles OTB. Wink
Exbourne
Drunk fat and good

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 01:15:03 AM »

Ya all know what a loser iam?
Im39 years old.
Never smoked until 6 months ago.
My Mom passed from smoking.
Im a huge drin ker.I figured my liver needed company.I think i need to talk to a shrink.
This post is totally true.

I drink,I smoke,I gamble.
What a Life!!!
7/29/05.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 01:52:36 AM »

I used to smoke and now am so angry with people who don't care about second hand smoke.  I quit when I got pregnant with my first child. 

I feel SO bad about John Frank's wife.  I don't know him but I like him.  So I must like her as well.

I will be saying prayers for her.

DON'T SMOKE!   DON'T SUBJECT OTHERS TO YOUR SECOND HAND SMOKE.  Gosh, sorry about yelling.

BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 02:21:19 AM »

If you don't die from smoking cigarettes or second hand smoke - you will die from at least 10,000 other reasons.
My Great aunt is 101 and she has smoked a pack+ a day for over 80 years.
I have many gambling friends that are well into their 80's and most of them smoke 2 to 5 packs a day. If yer gonna get cancer and die..it's not only from cigarettes - it's yer genetics - so quit complaining about cigarettes - it's only a ploy by the government to raise the sin taxes.
BTW my Grandmother just died 2 years ago. she was my Great Aunts older sister. Grandma Bowles was 100 and 6 months when she died. She also smoked a pack of cigarettes a day. Plus she and my Aunt drank 2 Vodka's every day at their "happy hour" which was at 6pm.
My Mom who only smoked for 2 years back in the 1950's died the same year as my Grandma, but 3 months earlier. Mom died from ovarian cancer. It was not a result of her smoking.
Some people do get sick and die from smoking, but I believe it's more in your own personal genetics than the nicotine in cigarettes and how each individuals own body relates to the nicotine.
I get really sick when I smell some old ladies ( and some young ladies) perfume. Should we ban that too??
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 02:46:38 AM by BeauNarro » Report to moderator   Logged
pjcleve

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 11:03:11 AM »

Go to the Niles OTB. Wink

T. Are they a smoke free facility?

Pete
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 11:14:40 AM »

The " I know someone who smoked till they were 90 "anecdotes  are beyond silly.
The link between cigarettes and many deadly ailments have been proven.
If you want to accelerate your chances of dying go ahead and smoke.
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 11:51:08 AM »

I am currently caring for my 75 year old mother who smoked 2 packs of Pall Malls a day for 40 years.  Not a pretty sight.  Stop it people.
Horse Apples

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 02:29:50 PM »

If you don't die from smoking cigarettes or second hand smoke - you will die from at least 10,000 other reasons.
My Great aunt is 101 and she has smoked a pack+ a day for over 80 years.
I have many gambling friends that are well into their 80's and most of them smoke 2 to 5 packs a day. If yer gonna get cancer and die..it's not only from cigarettes - it's yer genetics - so quit complaining about cigarettes - it's only a ploy by the government to raise the sin taxes.
BTW my Grandmother just died 2 years ago. she was my Great Aunts older sister. Grandma Bowles was 100 and 6 months when she died. She also smoked a pack of cigarettes a day. Plus she and my Aunt drank 2 Vodka's every day at their "happy hour" which was at 6pm.
My Mom who only smoked for 2 years back in the 1950's died the same year as my Grandma, but 3 months earlier. Mom died from ovarian cancer. It was not a result of her smoking.
Some people do get sick and die from smoking, but I believe it's more in your own personal genetics than the nicotine in cigarettes and how each individuals own body relates to the nicotine.
I get really sick when I smell some old ladies ( and some young ladies) perfume. Should we ban that too??

BeauNarro..... this post where you comment about smoking just SUCKS!!  two to five packs aday...not bad for you??

"you called me inhumane & no heart on another post about Carlos Monyalvo using the whip"

WHAT A PRICK YOU ARE!!

most of the time....anticipation is greater than realization!
Ed

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 03:58:12 PM »

I am currently caring for my 75 year old mother who smoked 2 packs of Pall Malls a day for 40 years.  Not a pretty sight.  Stop it people.

OFO, you have my sympathy. My mother was a heavy (2+ packs a day) smoker and died of lung cancer at 70.

Ed

Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 04:39:07 PM »

Just quit because it stinks. Geez. That's reason enough.
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 05:17:50 PM »

BeauNarro..... this post where you comment about smoking just SUCKS!!  two to five packs aday...not bad for you??

"you called me inhumane & no heart on another post about Carlos Monyalvo using the whip"

WHAT A PRICK YOU ARE!!

Hey ***hole,
I didn't say it's a good thing to smoke 2 to 5 packs a day, but it's the perogative and right of those that do it until there's a law against it.
If they ban cigatette smoking at the tracks - there will be about 100 people there a day.
And BTW - you still are an inhumane *** for the remarks you had made about Montalvo.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 06:52:52 PM »

T. Are they [Niles] a smoke free facility?

No, the front area is smoking, but it is never as bad as OFO was complaining about at Trackside. The back teletheater room is non-smoking, however, and quite pleasant. Table waitress service, too, and mostly quiet. Quiet, that is, except for the dufii who come in with cell phone ringers turned up to 11 (always some disco song), and turn their little TV's up to 11. Those jerks are hit or miss.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 01:53:54 AM »

It's been prooven.  Genes or not. Second hand smoke kills us.  Keep your smoking in your own home.  We can smell you coming and a mile away. You stink!  You might think chewing gum, we can't tell.  Doesn't work. Mints NO. You smell.  Your hair smells, your clothes smell, your STINK. 

I love some of the guys at our track but when they come up to give me a hug, I am sick to my stomach for a few minutes after.  I try to not breathe when I see them coming.  It's terrible.
Horse Apples

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 06:02:44 PM »

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/ETS

this is only one of the many articles on the websites of cancer caused from all forms of tobacco.

Longevity runs on both sides of my family. I NEVER thought I'd get cancer. No history of it anywhere in my family.

I beg all of you to quit as soon as you can. I have lung cancer, COPD & heart disease.

I quit 'cold turkey' ( two cartons a week) Sept 9, 1997   

YOU CAN DO IT if you try hard enough...1 day @ a time..GOOD  horse shoe

CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 06:11:53 PM »

It's been prooven.  Genes or not. Second hand smoke kills us.  Keep your smoking in your own home.  We can smell you coming and a mile away. You stink!  You might think chewing gum, we can't tell.  Doesn't work. Mints NO. You smell.  Your hair smells, your clothes smell, your STINK. 

I love some of the guys at our track but when they come up to give me a hug, I am sick to my stomach for a few minutes after.  I try to not breathe when I see them coming.  It's terrible.

The arguments about the smell are bogus. Plenty of things stink, including perfume and babies. Let's please stick to valid arguments like the health aspects.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2007, 06:30:32 PM »

Hey, I say we complain about too much perfume, as well.

One of the worst elevator rides, though, is getting on with a smoker or two.  It smells like an ashtray the morning after a big party. Perfume is bad, but smokers are worse.
dogs up

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2007, 07:01:47 PM »

Look, I really do not care if people smoke or not (I do not smoke) as cigarette smoke of others rarely bothers me. But I visited AP trackside today, and your right--- that stairwell truly stinks.What happened to the smoking/ no smoking sections?
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 08:35:31 PM »

The arguments about the smell are bogus. Plenty of things stink, including perfume and babies. Let's please stick to valid arguments like the health aspects.

My post had more than just how much one stinks in it. Read it again.

Perfume might stink, but it won't kill you.  Babies might stink for a minute or two but for 99% of the time they smell like heaven.
Parker
Perfection Epitomized

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2007, 09:21:38 PM »

You people crack me up! 
I smoke, and rag on me if you want, but I do.  I obey smoking rules at the track, and respect those who don't.  I have this aversion to being overweight, so when I'm pissed, I smoke, instead of eating a cake. 
As far as smelling like a cigarette, good!  Something has to deter people from my good looks.  Wink  I don't go to socialize!
Horse Apples

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »

Hey, I say we complain about too much perfume, as well.

One of the worst elevator rides, though, is getting on with a smoker or two.  It smells like an ashtray the morning after a big party. Perfume is bad, but smokers are worse.
   Yeah...your right  Moon
                                               those elevators smell different to midgets Wink

CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 10:30:06 PM »

My post had more than just how much one stinks in it. Read it again.

Perfume might stink, but it won't kill you.  Babies might stink for a minute or two but for 99% of the time they smell like heaven.

The stink of cigarettes on a person won't kill you either.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 10:54:53 PM »

Parker... you made me laugh.  I used to smoke years ago too.  I bet you are a young woman.

As for those who say the stink won't kill you, I agree, but it will kill a potential relationship with a woman you might like.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2007, 11:20:10 PM »

As for those who say the stink won't kill you, I agree, but it will kill a potential relationship with a woman you might like.

There's some perfumes that will kill a potential relationship as well!
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007, 12:03:01 AM »

You're right about that Terry..LOL
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2007, 12:18:41 AM »

You're right about that Terry..LOL

No lie. There's many first dates I went on that were last dates because of perfume. There's at least one scent that makes me physically sick. Don't know the name, but it's a very cloying soapy smell. Give me a smoker with green teeth before a woman with that stench. Then what do you say? "I think I might like you, but your signature scent you've probably worn for 10 or more years makes me puke." Nah. You just say, "I'll call you next week."  Grin

I should start a public campaign against perfume because I don't like that smell. But, I'll invent some health science to support my crusade against a smell I don't like, like the pheromones are bad for my sensitive eyes, or something. That way I can rail against perfume on health grounds, even though it's really my personal dislike of the stink that's at the heart of the matter. That's what I always suspect, whenever I see or hear arguments against smoking that spend most of the time dwelling on the smell.
race track phil

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2007, 03:34:08 AM »

Smoking in a racetrack !  Its like smoking in a poolroom !

People have the right to kill themselves any way they want , I think we have been in enough wars for some form of freedom and now the politicians want to tell you what to do and where ! What kind of freedom is that ?  The second hand smoke bullshit is just that bullshit ! I grew up in smoke filled poolrooms where there were old man in there 80's all over the place puffing like chimneys and if second hand smoke had any merit , everyone would have been dead in a week ! When its your time its your time period . How about all the car fumes you inhale everyday in traffic ? do you think that might be killing you a little faster than smoke ?  If you dont think so just start your and take a nap ! you can just sit in your car with 10 smokers without the engine running you wont die ! We all die from different things and people should just accept the fact and quit blaming it on second hand smoke ! There should be areas for smokers and areas for non smokers . If your a non smoker you have'nt any business being in a smoking area . All smoking ares should have a good ventilation system , Smoke does rise ! If someone dies of anything premature its sad whether its from smoking or cancer or whatever . I'll tell you whats worse to see thats some person that is so old he or she cannot take care of themselves and has'nt any real life left and cannot wait to die because they cannot enjoy life anymore ! Thats sad !  If you just quit complaining about everything in life you personally dont like you might live longer without stress a real killer ! Just remember when the government told you soy products prevent cancer and a bunch of idiots bought all soy products like they were a miracle drug ! The soy manufacturers got rich . People eating SOY BURGERS and soy milk !  What a joke !  Oh  thats right after a few years they announced soy products do not help prevent cancer !     BSmeter    BSmeter

RTP         Just my opinion !
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2007, 08:42:02 AM »

I like to give other people stress.

Every time I walk by a smoker, I say "Nice Stink!"

Hahahaha!
ABBY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2007, 09:24:10 AM »

Hahahaha!
In response, smoke stink is better than how some of the trainer's stink that wear the same clothes for 3 days. Look around, they have have hay & straw hanging off of them and wear sweat pants. I would prefer smoke stink.

Hahahaha!
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2007, 11:17:05 AM »

If I was around a person who stunk as bad as smokers, I would point that out too. I'm not shy.

If somebody farts near you, do you just say nothing? No! You say "That's disgusting!" or something like that.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2007, 11:58:43 AM »

The stink of cigarettes on a person won't kill you either.

It is a different story if you get stuffed up and start coughing in such an environment.  Also, the smell goes home with you and continues to affect your sinuses.  Cancer is the main concern, but there are other problems caused by this habit.  I seem to remember Terry with a cigarette once so his sympathies might be compromised.

My wife was a radiation technology therapist for 27 years treating cancer.  She often reported on the suffering of the lung cancer patients.  Also, it is disheartening to see people walking around with oxygen tanks struggling to breath.  You pro-smokers or those with sympathy to smokers would not be so pompous or philosophical about life if you watched enough of the above suffer.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2007, 12:53:18 PM »

It is a different story if you get stuffed up and start coughing in such an environment.  Also, the smell goes home with you and continues to affect your sinuses.  Cancer is the main concern, but there are other problems caused by this habit.  I seem to remember Terry with a cigarette once so his sympathies might be compromised.

My sympathies aren't "compromised", my opinion is different from yours. I haven't smoked for over two years and don't like cigarette smell anymore myself. It's unpleasant, and I try to avoid it, but there are no health concerns. The point is, that smell is no different from any other smell you're subjected to on a daily basis. Did you ever have to work in a cubicle stuck day after day next to a woman who drenches herself in Eau de Stinkbomb? You come home sick and with a headache from that, too. If you ever said anything, you'd find yourself in HR with a sexual harassment complaint. Ever stuck in a car in traffic next to diesel trucks, day after day on your commute to work? Lived or worked downwind from a factory or farm of any sort? There's stinks in life. Sorry about that.

If you don't like the smoke getting on your clothes, it's simple, don't go where there's smoking. If there's a problem in a facility that's supposed to be non-smoking, like started this thread about Trackside, complain to the management. Do what Pete does, and take the north stairs. I really don't understand why the smokers aren't kicked totally outside there, like everywhere else. When I smoked, I accepted that.

My wife was a radiation technology therapist for 27 years treating cancer.  She often reported on the suffering of the lung cancer patients.  Also, it is disheartening to see people walking around with oxygen tanks struggling to breath.  You pro-smokers or those with sympathy to smokers would not be so pompous or philosophical about life if you watched enough of the above suffer.

None of those cancer cases was caused by the smell of cigarettes. Possibly from the smoke, but not from the smell that lingers on other people. Make all the arguments you want about what smoke does. Knock yourselves out debating secondhand smoke. PLEASE quit hiding personal dislikes of the "ashtray smell" behind the second hand smoke argument.
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2007, 05:43:03 PM »

If we have gone so far as to have kicked smokers into a little 20'x20' area at Trackside, what would be the difference if they just went oustside?  The smell is obnoxious!
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2007, 08:22:47 PM »

CANCER!!!!!

/Hey, the terror tactic worked for Bush, we might as well try it on smokers!
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2007, 10:13:07 PM »

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Black children may be far more susceptible to the ill effects of second-hand tobacco smoke than their white counterparts, U.S. researchers said on Monday

In a study of 220 children with asthma, black children who were exposed to at least five cigarettes a day had significantly higher toxin levels in their hair and blood than white children who were exposed to the same amount of smoke.

The study, published in the March issue of the journal Chest, may shed light on why black children are more susceptible to tobacco-related disorders, like asthma, sudden-infant death syndrome and low birth weight, said Dr. Stephen Wilson of the University of Cincinnati, who led the research.

"For some reason, African-American children may metabolize or break down nicotine ... more slowly than white children," Wilson said in a telephone interview.

Wilson and colleagues at the Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center tested children aged 5 to 12 for levels of cotinine, a byproduct of nicotine that has been processed by the body. Slightly more than half of the children, 55 percent, were black. The rest were white.

Researchers collected blood and hair samples for a year. To avoid any underreporting of tobacco exposure by parents, researchers measured levels of tobacco smoke in the home at six months and 12 months using an instrument called a nicotine dosimeter.

While nicotine exposure levels in the home were similar, researchers found that black children showed significantly higher levels of cotinine compared to white children.

On average, cotinine levels in blood samples collected from black children were 32 percent higher than the white participants.

The difference was even more striking in hair samples, with cotinine levels in black children measuring four times higher than those of white participants.

Wilson said the study raises questions about whether ethnic differences play a role in other tobacco toxins.

"It probably generates a lot more questions than it answers about why we see such striking rates of tobacco-associated morbidity (sickness) in African-Americans," he said.

Wilson and others said the study provides one more reason for limiting children's exposure to second-hand smoke.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2007, 10:30:17 PM »

To you who posted the smell of smoking is not a valid reason to complain:  I really think SOME people would be surprised how bad they stink and would think twice about smoking if they knew.  Thus, maybe they would try to stop.  Saving their lives and maybe some others.

As for perfume, I get it.  In church, if it's warm and I sit by a woman with too much or terrible perfume on, I get up and GO. I think God forgives me.  I guess that argument doesn't do it for me though, because I'm hardly ever near any woman with bad perfume.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: