Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 22, 2014, 11:57:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark Prior  (Read 1808 times)
charlieh

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2005, 01:33:50 PM »

The FOX Sports Radio station in St. Louis is reporting that the Cubs are very close to dealing Mark Prior to the Orioles for Tejada.

Have any of you guys in Chicago heard this? If so, what would be the reason for getting rid of Prior. I understand Tejada is good player, a past MVP, all that, but Prior has a chance to be the dominant pitcher in the big leagues for the next 12-15 years.

I hope it's not true. I like for the Cubs to have the best team possible on the field when my beloved Cardinals beat their brains in!     
Report to moderator   Logged
Fillmore Bear

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 01:37:59 PM »

Have a good time at Fairmount.
charlieh

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 01:40:28 PM »

Sorry, haven't been to Fairmount in years. Only bet the Meadowlands from the comfort of my home.
trotter1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 01:51:09 PM »

If it's true I think it's a good idea.  As a lifelong Chicagoan, I've never seen a baseball
team "baby" their pitcher's the way the Cubs do.  The problem is that the Cubs
management never wants to "rock the boat" with the Cub fans that just love their
"cubbies".  That's why Sosa stayed so long--it was a HUGE mistake to have given that
guy the big contract extention--the ONLY reason they did was because they knew
the cub fans would "revolt".  He was after all "Mr Cub"  (sorry Ernie Banks)

Take a look at a team like the Boston Red Sox--they just lost a fan favorite--Johnny Damon
to their arch rival Yankees.  The Red Sox and other teams run their teams as a
business--If Johnny Damon were on the cubs, they would have signed him to a
5 year/20 million a year contract to keep the "Cubbie" fans happy.

Don't get me wrong--I like Mark Prior and I like Kerry Wood.  But at what point do you say
"you know what?, you guys are not rookies anymore--show me the innings pitched and show
me the WINS"   Obviously, it's also a team effort with run production, defense, etc.   My point is
that Prior (and Wood) have been getting paid MANY millions per year and have been "babied"
for far too long.  

As Dr. Phil would say, "how's it been working for ya so far?"  The bottom line is that these
guys are always hurt in one way or another and unable to pitch.  Even the Chicago
reporters fall into the trap of "Pretty soon Prior will be back to pitch a game or "Woodie" should
be back from his injury in a few months".   

The Cubs have been a .500 team with these guys at best and cannot get to the next level.  Let's
make the changes--what do we REALLY have to lose?

As we know from the White Sox, pitching is extremely critical but look at ACTUAL INNINGS PITCHED
and WINS/LOSSES for these 2 guys over the past 2 years--we are not getting our money's worth.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 01:56:03 PM »

If it's true I think it's a good idea.  As a lifelong Chicagoan, I've never seen a baseball
team "baby" their pitcher's the way the Cubs do.  The problem is that the Cubs
management never wants to "rock the boat" with the Cub fans that just love their
"cubbies".  That's why Sosa stayed so long--it was a HUGE mistake to have given that
guy the big contract extention--the ONLY reason they did was because they knew
the cub fans would "revolt".  He was after all "Mr Cub"  (sorry Ernie Banks)

Take a look at a team like the Boston Red Sox--they just lost a fan favorite--Johnny Damon
to their arch rival Yankees.  The Red Sox and other teams run their teams as a
business--If Johnny Damon were on the cubs, they would have signed him to a
5 year/20 million a year contract to keep the "Cubbie" fans happy.

Don't get me wrong--I like Mark Prior and I like Kerry Wood.  But at what point do you say
"you know what?, you guys are not rookies anymore--show me the innings pitched and show
me the WINS"   Obviously, it's also a team effort with run production, defense, etc.   My point is
that Prior (and Wood) have been getting paid MANY millions per year and have been "babied"
for far too long. 

As Dr. Phil would say, "how's it been working for ya so far?"  The bottom line is that these
guys are always hurt in one way or another and unable to pitch.  Even the Chicago
reporters fall into the trap of "Pretty soon Prior will be back to pitch a game or "Woodie" should
be back from his injury in a few months".   

The Cubs have been a .500 team with these guys at best and cannot get to the next level.  Let's
make the changes--what do we REALLY have to lose?

As we know from the White Sox, pitching is extremely critical but look at ACTUAL INNINGS PITCHED
and WINS/LOSSES for these 2 guys over the past 2 years--we are not getting our money's worth.

Babied?!?

Haven't both Prior and Wood been at the top of the list of pitches/start since Dusty came to town?

It's a complete catch-22.  We keep him, he'll be a payroll boon for the next 7 years...and if we trade him, it will be the second coming of Maddux.  However, IMO, Tejada just isn't enough to get me excited for a trade.  I'd rather see Prior.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
charlieh

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 02:03:13 PM »

Edward and Trotter, have you guys heard this report in Chicago? I was out at lunch today and heard it on Fox Sports radio.
medic_61353

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 03:07:50 PM »

It"s on WSCR radio right now. They have been talking about all day. Go to 670thescore.com and you can stream.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 03:09:21 PM by medic_61353 » Report to moderator   Logged
trotter1

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 03:14:54 PM »

EW-
Don't get me wrong--I think Prior is superb and I'm not crazy about Tejada.
I just think that no player should be "off the table" on trade talks.  Look at
what Kenny Williams has done in the past couple of years.

I was speaking more of the Cubs tendency to completely rule out EVER trading
players like Prior or Wood and I'm just really glad to at least hear rumors that
they are thinking about these possible options to shake up the team a bit.

LVd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 03:24:48 PM »

Prior and wood can be compared to $4000 claimers that once were high claimers.  They showed lots of potential, but never fully capitalized on it.
Now usualy lame, getting a mediocre amount of starts. Can occasionally throw a big one. Need lots of vet work and treatment.
swoodall

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 03:44:29 PM »

I've been a Cubs fan for 40 years and at least I have learned something about the post season that my Cubs have not.  Pitching wins in the post season not shortstops!!!  All of the Cubs post season appearances have occurred when their pitching staff was in the top 5 in baseball.  The White Sox won the World Series because of pitching!  Everyone else in the world seems to recognize that.  The Cubs are hell-bent on self destruction.  Trading Prior will fit perfectly into their master plan.
ageecee

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 04:47:26 PM »

Id take Tajada in a minute-You can always find another pitcher to eat up the innings that prior would of had.
kellytuc
The one, the only, and the former - Kellytuc!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 04:55:21 PM »

I think the Cubs have never won because of Tony Morgan.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 05:01:45 PM »

Id take Tajada in a minute-You can always find another pitcher to eat up the innings that prior would of had.

Eat up the innings?

A pitcher with a lifetime 41-23 record, as well as a 3.24 ERA is much, much tougher to find than a .300-30-90 guy.  Let alone the fact that Prior is four years younger.

Bad idea.

Best,
EW

ageecee

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 06:28:06 PM »

Eat up the innings?

A pitcher with a lifetime 41-23 record, as well as a 3.24 ERA is much, much tougher to find than a .300-30-90 guy.  Let alone the fact that Prior is four years younger.

Bad idea.

Best,
EW

Prior is injury prone the last 2 years and yes its much tougher to find a good pitcher than a 300-30-90 guy but it can be done and there are pitchers out there that you could get to replace him that would do about the same job for a fraction of the price.

The Oakland A's dealt Mulder and Hudson and Billy Bean just plugged the holes and they didnt miss a beat. Sure they didnt make the playoffs but they finished 88-74. What did the Cubs finish?

Great idea if i say so.

allen
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 07:25:32 PM »

Prior is injury prone the last 2 years and yes its much tougher to find a good pitcher than a 300-30-90 guy but it can be done and there are pitchers out there that you could get to replace him that would do about the same job for a fraction of the price.

Great idea if i say so.

allen

Everyone forgets that Tejada makes three times what Prior does -- the difference is about 7.5M a year.

Best,
EW

Big C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 11:31:50 PM »

Pryor is a P-------------------------------.
swoodall

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2005, 05:02:58 AM »

EW

Don't listen to these moron fantasy league players!  They have no clue what has sustained Atlanta all these years.  Or what was the driving force behind the Yankee world series victories.  Pitching!!  If it was so easy to find guys to fill innings then why can't the Harvard educated GM's do it?  Does anyone REALLY know Tejada's real age??  He has had issues with this in the past!  I want these guys in my fantasy league,  oh wait, I don't have a fantasy league I have a real life!
Armonsol

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2005, 10:05:40 AM »

If the cubs get rid of Pryor it will be for one reason, MONEY.  He is eligible to make a fortune and he will make it in arbitration.  Tejada was on steroids for years, if you looked at him last year he basically deflated physically.  When they get rid of Pryor, he will end up in Yankee pinstripes and win 20 per year for years and be in the hall of fame. 
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2005, 11:06:59 AM »

If the cubs get rid of Pryor it will be for one reason, MONEY.  He is eligible to make a fortune and he will make it in arbitration.  Tejada was on steroids for years, if you looked at him last year he basically deflated physically.  When they get rid of Pryor, he will end up in Yankee pinstripes and win 20 per year for years and be in the hall of fame. 

I just hope Tribco will step up to the plate on this one.

If they have to free up room, push off Kerry.  I like him, but I'd choose the mechanically sound younger pitcher first, obviously.

Best,
EW

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: