Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 18, 2014, 09:24:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sam McKee Interview  (Read 1715 times)
BunnyLake

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2005, 08:34:35 PM »

Anyone read this interview on US Trotting? One of the questions deals with the driver colony at the Big M. Over the past two years I have begun to question how great this colony really is at this time. Sam alludes to this in the interview, but do some off these guys get credit for being good because they have the chance to drive better horses night in and night out as compared to other tracks?

Report to moderator   Logged
TC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 08:45:23 PM »

Very good interview.  Sam mentioned other announcers such as Huston, Lederman, Salive, Durkin, and Denman, calling some of them "greats".  He probably forgot Ehrlich...oh well, maybe next time.  TC
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 09:15:50 PM »

Anyone read this interview on US Trotting? One of the questions deals with the driver colony at the Big M. Over the past two years I have begun to question how great this colony really is at this time. Sam alludes to this in the interview, but do some off these guys get credit for being good because they have the chance to drive better horses night in and night out as compared to other tracks?

There's no question that the drivers have gone downhill.  Between some greats coming down (Campbell) and relocations to Ontario, it's about as one-dimensional as I can ever remember.  It's all Miller, Sears, Pierce -- rinse and repeat.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
Al Culess

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 12:34:00 AM »

I could be wrong but I believe Pierce didn't do so good until Oulette went to Woodbine.
TC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 12:41:15 AM »

I could be wrong but I believe Pierce didn't do so good until Oulette went to Woodbine.
Don't forget to throw in Campbell's injury into the Pierce timeline as well.  pierce got a few breaks, though as a driver, he did make the most of the opportunities.  TC
mgriffin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 07:56:19 AM »

Yeah, I agree. Luc relocating opened up windows for other drivers to get live mounts.
Don't forget about Manzi there. I don't like betting the guy personally, but he had a great year.
It was a great interview. I have had the opportunity to meet and greet with Sam McKee before. He is a great guy. I actually e-mailed him for an invite to play golf in NJ once, he declined, but set up a tee time for my group. I think he is one of the better announcers as well. His timing on race calls is excellent and he knows just when to put the extra charge on a call. I wish he would call the higher end races there, but Warkentan gets preferance. He is not that bad either.
Read the interview, it is a good take.

MG
fineline

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 04:37:35 PM »

The MEADSOWLANDS is All class announcers video ,for me to tune in 30 minutes early because I want to hear what they have to say  they are all very professional,.Kind of like them all.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 05:11:40 PM »

The MEADSOWLANDS is All class announcers video ,for me to tune in 30 minutes early because I want to hear what they have to say  they are all very professional,.Kind of like them all.

Completely agree.  They realize that people care about production.

There's only three groups I listen to on the feeds:
-Meadowlands pre-race show
-Dave Goldschmidt at Expo
-Mike A at May/Bal

The only thing I would change out of these: give Mike a little more time to speak between races, and let him open the card with some commentary.

Best,
EW

FILL ER UP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 05:21:15 PM »

MIKE A IS A FAT SLOB WHO SUCKS AT HANDICAPPING. THE ONLY REASON HE HAS THAT JOB IS BECAUSE HE KISSES LANGLEYS ASS AND RATS OUT ALL OF THE HORSEMEN. THE ONLY THING MIKE A CAN TELL YOU IS WHAT RESTAURANTS HAVE THE BEST FOOD AND WHO ROBIN WILL BE SLEEPING WITH TO BRING HOME THE CASH!!!TOTAL BUSTOUT!! Grin
baron

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 06:05:22 PM »

About 5 years ago I really enjoyed Peter Galassi and the guy with him when they would do a pre-race talk before every race. They had some good insight.

Completely agree.  They realize that people care about production.

There's only three groups I listen to on the feeds:
-Meadowlands pre-race show
-Dave Goldschmidt at Expo
-Mike A at May/Bal

The only thing I would change out of these: give Mike a little more time to speak between races, and let him open the card with some commentary.

Best,
EW
mot tdnew

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 10:27:12 PM »

EDWARD WILL I HAVE TO TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU THEM ANNOUNCERS AT CAL EXPO FIRST OFF SOUND LIKE THEY ARE TALKING IN A TIN CAN AND SECOND THEY KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ZERO ZIP ZILCH ABOUT HARNESS RACING. SCOTT EARLICH IS THE ONLY SAVING GRACE FOR THAT FACILITY. UNFORTUNATELY THEY ARE STRUGGLING AND I HEARD FROM SEVEREL PEOPLE THAT NEXT YEAR MIGHT BE IT.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 10:33:03 PM »

EDWARD WILL I HAVE TO TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU THEM ANNOUNCERS AT CAL EXPO FIRST OFF SOUND LIKE THEY ARE TALKING IN A TIN CAN AND SECOND THEY KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ZERO ZIP ZILCH ABOUT HARNESS RACING. SCOTT EARLICH IS THE ONLY SAVING GRACE FOR THAT FACILITY. UNFORTUNATELY THEY ARE STRUGGLING AND I HEARD FROM SEVEREL PEOPLE THAT NEXT YEAR MIGHT BE IT.

You should definitely pay more attention.  Dave walks through the field horse by horse, recapping trip and situation for each entrant.  He's an excellent analyst and has been a professional gambler for a long time, and at many different tracks.

The other gentleman, Gary Gelfand, is there strictly for "personality" and doesn't know a thing about racing.

As far as Sacramento Harness Association -- the handle numbers are up from Capitol, and only getting stronger.  It's obviously a tough spot -- being in a leased facility -- but they've done well so far.  They've been slowly collecting shippers, and it should only get better.  They are committed to making it work, and they've got the right management.

Best,
EW

mot tdnew

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 10:42:03 PM »

EDWARD YOU RIGHT THE ONE IS OK ITS THAT GELFAND THAT HAS NO CLUE.
Bob Kahn

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 10:59:22 PM »

EDWARD YOU RIGHT THE ONE IS OK ITS THAT GELFAND THAT HAS NO CLUE.
I don't understand...by the way, what the heck is mot tdnew,  some kinda code or something ?
Zulu

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 11:28:38 PM »

It`s a Harry Carey thing or better yet put it up to a mirror and it will decode itself
movinawayfaraway

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 12:28:56 AM »

You should definitely pay more attention.  Dave walks through the field horse by horse, recapping trip and situation for each entrant.  He's an excellent analyst and has been a professional gambler for a long time, and at many different tracks.

The other gentleman, Gary Gelfand, is there strictly for "personality" and doesn't know a thing about racing.

As far as Sacramento Harness Association -- the handle numbers are up from Capitol, and only getting stronger.  It's obviously a tough spot -- being in a leased facility -- but they've done well so far.  They've been slowly collecting shippers, and it should only get better.  They are committed to making it work, and they've got the right management.

Best,
EW

i also hear that cali is a non-profit - so anything made goes back to the horsemen and capital improvements - what an ingenious idea - doing something for the horsemen!  not to mention that the first start your horse makes you get 500 bucks and after the 10th start you get another 500 which practically covers your shipping out there.

already did this - movinawayfaraway
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2005, 03:03:23 AM »

i also hear that cali is a non-profit - so anything made goes back to the horsemen and capital improvements - what an ingenious idea - doing something for the horsemen!  not to mention that the first start your horse makes you get 500 bucks and after the 10th start you get another 500 which practically covers your shipping out there.

Correct.

The $500/$500 plan aims to cover (or come close) shipping, and I think it's helped to draw some horses out there...

No matter what happens in CA, I can tell you that they are MUCH, MUCH better to the horsemen, and that the management wants nothing but success for the product.  The gentleman in charge -- Chris Schick -- is the class of the class.

Best,
EW

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: