Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 17, 2014, 04:37:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This should be fun...  (Read 1072 times)
RunSuckerRun

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2005, 08:24:04 AM »

http://www.ithainc.com/page12.htm

Sorry I didn't make it to Hawthorne for this one.  Terry, do you have a first hand report?

-RSR
Report to moderator   Logged
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 10:46:19 AM »

No, I didn't hear that, and you're right it should be fun. I didn't hardly talk to anyone yesterday. Did speak briefly with Jan E. around race 4 or so, but she didn't have any obvious mark of satan on her forehead or anything.
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 01:19:39 PM »

Janine has a link to this story in DRF on the home page:

http://www.drf.com/drfNewsArticle.do?NID=71051&subs=0&arc=1
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 07:47:26 PM »

Janine has a link to this story in DRF on the home page:

http://www.drf.com/drfNewsArticle.do?NID=71051&subs=0&arc=1

Wow it is like deja vu all over again. When Christine Janks was IHHA president and Jim Carfagno was the E.D. there was the palace revolt by Noel Hickey and Hazelton and all those guys who started a new H.B.P.A. chapter. Now we see Christine Janks and Jim Carfagno and Co. doing a palace revolt thing against Joe Kasperski and the current ITHA officers.

Well, I certainly hope this iteration of palace revolt is as educational as the last time. When both the ITHA and HBPA were sending out duelling informational flyers to the membership, that was about the only time I can recall the leadership (and wannabe leadership) making a real effort to inform the membership of the issues. And I mean, who really knows what the issue is this time anyhow. With the Hickey revolt it seemed like a referendum on loyalty to Arlington, and I wouldn't doubt that's what it all about again, given some of the players. But who knows, because other than some things Jim and Jan posted here, and one flyer from the ITHA saying these other people are out of line, there sure hasn't been much communication on the issue. I guess we need to creep around the track and ferret out rumors.
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 02:04:35 AM »

We will have an official response once we have something to respond to. Contrary to the ITHA press release...there has been no "lawsuit" or any other action yet filed against us and no papers have been served to any of us or our attorneys.

I will say that the officials that were elected yesterday who will serve on an INTERIM basis only are at least as legitimate as those who are still trying to stay on the ITHA board but whose terms expired Dec 15. There is no provision in the by-laws that allows or grants the power to the board to extend the terms of officials who have been elected to serve 2 year terms to 3 or more year terms. Even if the board were allowed to change the terms from 2 yrs to 3 or any other length of time they would have to have the approval of the members to do so, and for the sake of argument even if they were allowed to change the length of the terms they could not do so ex-post facto once an election was held and members voted for officers to serve 2 year terms, otherwise they could in theory keep adding years to the terms as they wish and if they wanted to not have an election at all.

If they were so sure what they were doing was ok, why did this action take place last Feb and they never told or announced the action to anyone? No one would have known this even took place until the end of the year when members would be wondering when the election meetings were going to take place, if we had not made it public.

Our point is this. We are trying to open things up so the members can see what has been going on with the money, investments, expenses and the way business is conducted by the board. We want open and fair elections as well as open board meetings. We are not asking for anything to be hidden from the members. They on the other hand are trying to keep the books closed, to keep people in office for longer then they were elected to serve and want to be able to change the by-laws as they see fit at anytime with no input or notice to or from the membership. Now you tell me who is the splinter group and who is trying to act in the best interests of the organization?

They have even stopped tape recording the board meetings as they use to be to make sure the minutes of the meetings were correctly written and so we had a back up record of them, now all that there is are hand written notes that are later re typed. Taping such meetings is a standard procedure for any board meeting of this type. This is also the reason Granitz and Gabriel resigned from the board when they were told they voted for items which they say they never did. Since there is no hard copy back up to the minutes, no one knows who is right.

There a many more issues that we have objections to that we will be happy to make public when we move forward. I would also like to point out that we are not trying to change the ITHA over to the HPBA as Noel Hickey wanted to do, and the reason he wanted to do that was because the ITHA would not back him up and help defend him when he had all those overages. There was no way the ITHA could defend a trainer in that situation as in effect we would be taking sides in an issue that basically was putting trainer against trainer. If Noel was using something it was not our place to try and prove otherwise. That got Noel mad and was the basis for his try to move the HPBA back into Illinois. This is not the same thing, this is only about how the organization is run and the rules that are used to help it run. Its about fairness, truth, and responsibility.

All the board had to do to avoid this mess was allow us to review and audit the books and documents we requested back in Sept. and allowed the elections to go on as planned but for a three year terms. Instead they have stalled and blocked anything we have tried to do to see the books and records, refused to adhere to the will of the membership and have the election as required in the by-laws and have even gone as far as to threaten Vic, who runs the stable kitchen that the ITHA would sue him if he let us have our meeting there! All that effort to stop us from getting answers to some simple questions.  Makes one wonder why.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 10:13:43 AM »

Jim

Appreciate the update. The position on allowing membership to review the books and holding elections as scheduled is understandable.

In regard to Mr. Hickey's efforts in 1997: Whatever originally caused him to do what he did, both factions of the horsemen spent a great deal of time and effort trying to educate the general membership on issues besides his positives (which never came up at all to the rest of us, as I recall). Issues such as purses, racing days and their effect on recapture, and a lot of other business issues and relations with the tracks were all debated from both sides, things that before then had not gotten a lot of balanced attention. You and Christine and the IHHA did send out regular newsletters, but when Mr. Hickey started sending newsletters, too, we finally understood another viewpoint on things. So anyhow, what I am hoping this time, if we MUST have another horsemen fight, is that it is also an educational opportunity for the rest of us. If nothing else happens and our current horsemen leadership is forced to communicate better with the membership, that would be a big plus.
Ed

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 12:42:56 PM »

Jim C. - Its been a number of years. You need to let it go.
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 02:06:36 PM »

Ed, I agree it has been a number of years. But I was not the one who started all of this, I was asked to come on board with and help members who were raising these questions. I have my hands full right now dealing with my fathers illness and running his business along with the horse partnerships. But I was willing to help out since the issues raised, I thought, were important. Personally I let go the day I walked out of that office some 9 years ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: