Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 09:51:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite track announcers  (Read 3513 times)
FishHack76

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2007, 01:58:15 PM »

I haven't heard too many, but I recently got TVG. I wasn't that blown away by John Dooley at my first Arlington meet this past summer, but I have to say after hearing him from the Fair Grounds, he now seems like one of the best. He just has a clear, distinctive voice and is very smooth calling the race. I enjoy watching Fair Grounds races because of his calls.
I was seeing if anyone else had a favorite. ...

I also know my least favorite, the guy from Los Alamitos. He sounds like the Will Ferrell character from "Saturday Night Live" who had voice immodulation and could not control the volume or pitch of his voice so he sounded dull and monotone no matter what he said.
Report to moderator   Logged
Sir Blockheadd

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 03:44:42 PM »

Peter Galasi (sp) from hawthorne is one of the best and one of the least known.
sodgod

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 04:41:55 PM »

IMHO, Mike Battaglia is the worst with Vic Stauffer a close second!  mucker  Jim Miller with little experience did a better job than both of those boobs last spring at Haw. when Peter G. was out of town for his daughters wedding.

Sod
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 05:27:40 PM »

My all time favorite was Phil Georgeff. Never any better than his colorful and exciting calls.

Peter Galasi is my favorite current race caller. There are a few others like Dooley that are pretty good.
I'm not terribly fond of Mike Wrona, because I don't always understand what he's saying.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 06:29:13 PM »

My current favorites (besides Peter and John of course  Grin  ) are Luke Kruytbosch and Larry Collmus. I liked Kevin Goemmer a lot, too. Also like Kurt Becker the few weeks of the year we get to hear him. The Tampa Bay guy has the coolest voice.

UNfavorites include Screamin' Tom Durkin at NYRA, the 60's top 40 radio guy in No. Cal. (Tony Calo), and Wrona.
ChitownSteve75

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 06:56:43 PM »

Are you guys kidding? First of all, Vic Stoufer is ONE OF THE BEST race callers out there. Second, John Dooley sounds better LIVE than on TV. IMHO.

ZENYATTA THE GREAT! NOT RA!
ChitownSteve75

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 07:06:20 PM »

Another good announcer is Paul Allen from Canterbury Park. I also like Trevor Denman.

Where the hell is Dave Johnson? "CAPTAIN BODGIT IS FLYING! HE'S 5TH WITH THE RED CAP ON THE OUTSIDE, TOP OF THE LANE IN THE DERBY! AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!" I miss calls like that.

Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 10:25:27 PM »

ChiTownSteve, we actually agree on something: Vic Stauffer is great! The GOOF ON THE ROOF!

Hahahahaha!

maroon

I like Michael Wrona, because I like a little fun in my race call. He also gets more info into a call than almost anybody.

I know he's gone, but Kevin Goemmer was probably my all-time favorite, or at least second.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 10:43:30 PM »

Another good announcer is Paul Allen from Canterbury Park. I also like Trevor Denman.

Where the hell is Dave Johnson? "CAPTAIN BODGIT IS FLYING! HE'S 5TH WITH THE RED CAP ON THE OUTSIDE, TOP OF THE LANE IN THE DERBY! AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!" I miss calls like that.

The problem was, he missed the great battle between Silver Charm and Free House. You have to admit, the "Down the stretch they come" schtick got old.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 12:05:58 AM »

I love Vrona,, isn't he the one who said "and she's staying like a mother in law!"  And I now love Peter G.  That "better hurry" day was so much fun.
Exbourne
Drunk fat and good

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 11:53:54 AM »

Stouffer.
I have a funny story.
He was donig TVG..A tampa race the two chalks in a mile race did like 22 /44 fractions battling for the lead.
After the race he called them both idiots and said they should go back to South America.
His co host tried to bail him out but he went on saying mabey they have a different dialect and could not understand each other.He went on to say the machismo is a fault of the latin Jockeys..
It was priceless.
He just would not stop 10minutes plus ripping these jocks.The look on his co hosts face was grab your belly funny.At  one piont he just said  ''Vic I give up"" Grin

I drink,I smoke,I gamble.
What a Life!!!
7/29/05.
ChitownSteve75

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 12:02:23 PM »

The problem was, he missed the great battle between Silver Charm and Free House. You have to admit, the "Down the stretch they come" schtick got old.

I have all those races on tape. He said, "SILVER CHARM AND FREEHOUSE, THEY'RE AT IT AGAIN!" This was his call in the Belmont and it sounded just as cool.

JansenSmith

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 12:08:42 PM »

The guy that announces at Ellis Park and Churchill is the best.
big wally

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 12:49:09 PM »

Dooley... We are lucky to have him... Once Durkin retires Dooley will move to NYRA
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 01:40:57 PM »

my all time in order

1.wrona
2.kevin goemmer-rip
3.vic stauffer
4th-paul allen, also does the minn vikings radio broadcasts i believe.
5th-peter galassi

i can list a few more but another 1 i kinda like i believe his name is tony cross. calls the races@hoosier and is the backup announcer@turfway. alotta dooleys lines are just too cheezy for me, he did have a good 1 however a few years back"shes charging faster than a daughter with daddys credit card"
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 03:14:11 PM »

I guess, since there doesn't seem to be any animosity on this thread, I'll put in my two cents worth.

1) Trevor Denman--I still don't think there is anyone better at identifying the winner with 3/8 to go.

2-3 tie) Dooley and Peter G.--I may be a little prejudiced since I work and occassionally have a beer with these guys. They have very different styles but they are both accurate and that's what matters most to me. We're lucky to have them on this circuit.

4) Luke (don't make me spell it) in Kentucky and Arizona.

5) Tom Durkin--He may have lost a step but he's given some of the most exciting calls I've ever heard.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 04:00:26 PM by Trackman » Report to moderator   Logged
edwarren

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 03:53:46 PM »

If a track won't even offer free live audio, and I'm not talkin' video, then why even care? Many people won't get the benefit of ever even hearing a race because of blundering and greedy track owners.

Grin

I'm back! Just posted this to piss someone off.

Grin

« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 03:59:38 PM by edwarren » Report to moderator   Logged
Horse Apples

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 06:17:36 PM »

Does anyone know or remember the track announcer Joe Hernandez from long ago @ Santa Anita?

The track opened in 1934 ... one month before I was born...

just   binoculars  back !!

most of the time....anticipation is greater than realization!
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 11:26:29 PM »

HOLY SHIT!!

You're 72 H.A.??

You could almost be my father!!..LOL
I'm 55
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 11:34:45 AM »

The FUNNIEST track announcer was at the old SPK harness in the 70's and 80's.  I can't recall his name.  He had one line that always busted us up.  Darryl Busse would be on the lead, but losing pace rapidly.  The announcer would say "Mr. Busse, you're getting awfully heavy out there, be careful!"

The BEST by far was Phil G. 
Horse Voice

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 01:41:29 PM »

Best: The Gome was my favorite when he was at another track...I thought his "all alone" signature call was priceless. Later, when he came to Chicago, we became good friends. Miss you, buddy.

Worst Ever: Michael Wrona. Won't shut up. Been here (in the U.S.) 20 years already and the Down Under accent hasn't faded at all, which IMO makes him a FAKE. The race has been over for a minute now and HE'S STILL TALKING. Well-liked by those who think English spoken with a foreign accent "sounds classy"...usually women and insecure men. Has been bounced from Northern California, Lone Star, Retama, FairGrounds -- what does that tell you?

Moon

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 02:35:01 PM »

So, Horse Voice, how do you feel about Trevor Denman, who has been here even LONGER than Wrona and still has the accent?

When Wrona was at Arlington, the only thing he was saying after the race was over was the COMPLETE order of finish, which is a plus, IMHO.
Horse Apples

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 02:43:59 PM »

HOLY SHIT!!

You're 72 H.A.??

You could almost be my father!!..LOL
I'm 55

my 1st born 2-8-56 (son)  just curious, where were you born... Wink
I was a rooster in High School

LMAO       (no offense intended) just joking!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 03:39:38 PM by Horse Apples » Report to moderator   Logged

most of the time....anticipation is greater than realization!
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 04:27:28 PM »

Hahahaha! I always wonder whether some kid is going to come up to me and say "You are my father"

YIKES!

maroon
CLOCKERbiggestal

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 05:52:35 PM »

Larry Collmus.

Truly unrated. He's been the Monmouth Guy for a long time and now catches GP.

He's easy top 5 material.

Kickers beat one-pacers almost every time.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: