ECLIPSE AWARDS FINALISTS ANNOUNCED
The National Thoroughbred Racing Association (NTRA), National Turf Writers Association (NTWA) and Daily Racing Form (DRF) today announced the finalists for the 2006 Eclipse Awards, as voted on and presented by the three organizations in recognition of excellence in Thoroughbred racing. Winners in all categories will be announced at the 36th annual Eclipse Awards ceremony, to be held Monday, January 22 at the Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif.
The Eclipse Awards finalists (in alphabetical order) are:
· Two-Year-Old Male: Circular Quay, Nobiz Like Shobiz, Street Sense
· Two-Year-Old Filly: Dreaming of Anna, Octave, Point Ashley
· Three-Year-Old Male: Barbaro, Bernardini, Discreet Cat
· Three-Year-Old Filly: Bushfire, Pine Island, Wait a While
· Older Male: Invasor (ARG), Lava Man, Premium Tap
· Older Female: Asi Siempre, Fleet Indian, Round Pond
· Sprinter: Discreet Cat, Henny Hughes, Thor’s Echo
· Male Turf Horse: English Channel, Miesque’s Approval, The Tin Man
· Female Turf Horse: Gorella (FR), Ouija Board (GB), Wait a While
· Steeplechase: McDynamo, Mixed Up, Sur La Tete
· Owner: Darley Stable, Lael Stables, Shadwell Stable
· Breeder: Adena Springs, Darley, Mr. and Mrs. Roy Jackson
· Trainer: Kiaran McLaughlin, Doug O’Neill, Todd Pletcher
· Jockey: Russell Baze, Garrett Gomez, Edgar Prado
· Apprentice Jockey: Martin Garcia, Julien Leparoux, Rosie Napravnik
The Eclipse Awards are named after the great 18th-century racehorse and foundation sire Eclipse, who began racing at age five and was undefeated in 18 starts, including eight walkovers. Eclipse sired the winners of 344 races, including three Epsom Derbies.
For hotel accommodations and Eclipse Awards dinner reservations, contact Debbie Blair at the NTRA’s Lexington office, (800) 792-6872, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The NTRA is a broad-based coalition of horseracing interests consisting of leading Thoroughbred racetracks, owners, breeders, trainers and affiliated horse racing associations, charged with increasing the popularity of horse racing and improving economic conditions for industry participants. The NTRA has offices in Lexington, Ky., and New York City. NTRA press releases appear on the NTRA Web site, NTRA.com.