Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 23, 2014, 05:25:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something that bothered me at Tampa today..  (Read 949 times)
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2007, 06:54:19 PM »

I think it was in race #11 when Carlos Montolvo won on the #6 horse. He passed the #4 just into the stretch and was several lengths ahead, but Montolvo kept hitting the horse extremely hard. I watched it several times, and there was NO reason for him to keep hitting the horse - especially the way he was deliberately raising his right hand across his chest and over his left shoulder, and then swinging full force way back on the horses rear.
The horse was running his ass off without any whipping, and to me it looked like Montolvo was just showing off. It gave me a disgusted and sick feeling. Bad, bad, baaaaad.
Report to moderator   Logged
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 09:07:17 PM »

Beau,

Didn't see the incident you are talking about, but in my opinion, the whip is the most overrated piece of equipment in racing. Horses are bred to be competetive. Most horses, if they are sound, give you their best effort every time, if they are properly spotted.

Sure, some need to be asked, but not most. Usually a good neck scrub gets the message across. The last good horses I remember who needed the whip were Temperance Hill (1980 Belmont, I believe), Forty Niner and Easy Goer.

I hate having to report a jock losing the whip, but it's required.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 11:08:33 PM »

I see that way too much.  Baze being one of them.  He'll whip a horse even though he is so far ahead or so far back it's unbelievable.
Battled, Tired

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 11:10:54 PM »

Beau:

Just saw the replay on the Tampa Bay site...unforgiveable!  Don't understand the "Oley" style of whipping and why it was necessary.  Shameful!
SWAY BACK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 12:09:51 PM »

Beau:

Just saw the replay on the Tampa Bay site...unforgiveable!  Don't understand the "Oley" style of whipping and why it was necessary.  Shameful!

I just might take a whip to Montalvo!! Hope he is not playing with the weights like he was at Arlington!
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 07:31:11 PM »

"I just might take a whip to Montalvo!! Hope he is not playing with the weights like he was at Arlington!"

Sway,

Don't quite understand the part about playing with weights at AP. Every jock must report his/her weight to the Clerk of Scales and the Clerk has the right to weigh any jock.

A few years ago, a Clerk of Scales was demoted and a Steward fired for failure to report proper weights.

SWAY BACK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 07:40:39 PM »

"I just might take a whip to Montalvo!! Hope he is not playing with the weights like he was at Arlington!"

Sway,

Don't quite understand the part about playing with weights at AP. Every jock must report his/her weight to the Clerk of Scales and the Clerk has the right to weigh any jock.

A few years ago, a Clerk of Scales was demoted and a Steward fired for failure to report proper weights.

He got caught switching weights somehow and was suspended for it. That is what I heard from a third party.
Stat

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 08:23:28 PM »

Maybe the horse was a quitting ***.

If I had money on it,  whip em butcher, I mean Earlie, till the line!!
Horse Apples

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 12:41:55 AM »

Carlos was on the 7/5 fave...he better get him home first after he made the lead.

I watch the replay several times..I see it completely different....the way I saw it he was riding it out.

NO DAMN WAY HE SHOULD GET BEAT BY A CLOSER.

What if your money was riding on OK Deputy...WPS / TRI / EXA / or whatever?

If it was my BET, I'd be very HAPPY with his ride!!

most of the time....anticipation is greater than realization!
Horse Apples

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 02:04:45 AM »

Just watched it again! The last 1/16 was hand ridden to finish. Are we looking at the same race?

Right after they made the turn for home he smack him frequently..then let up after he made the safe lead.

The steel whips are not being used anymore....get some new binoculars

I ask again...was your money riding on 'OK Deputy' or another  horse

PLEASE TAKE ANOTHER LOOK !!

most of the time....anticipation is greater than realization!
Battled, Tired

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 06:10:38 AM »

Look, maybe he hand rode the last 16th (he should have, the race was in hand), but there is NO EXCUSE for the wailing of the whip in front of the rider's face!   This is cowboys and indians and having a B-list at best rider do this is uncalled for.

Even Earlie, who's horses traditionally come back with welts, has ever done that.
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 10:08:17 AM »

Just watched it again! The last 1/16 was hand ridden to finish. Are we looking at the same race?

Right after they made the turn for home he smack him frequently..then let up after he made the safe lead.

The steel whips are not being used anymore....get some new binoculars

I ask again...was your money riding on 'OK Deputy' or another  horse

PLEASE TAKE ANOTHER LOOK !!

HUH??
I had OK Deputy to win, and won on the trifecta also.

You better go get a better video card in your computer, because you can't view clearly.

Yes, he hand rode for the last 100 yards, but he was deliberately and slowly raising his whip over his other shoulder, and then slamming it back and down hard. He did it 7 times. It's the way he did it that I didn't like. If it was my horse I would be pissed and I am an owner.

If you don't see it that way, then IMO you are inhumane.

Don't tell me to go get new glasses. You go get a new heart!!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 10:28:48 AM by BeauNarro » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: