Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 22, 2014, 06:45:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gulfstream Park  (Read 1148 times)
BillM

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2005, 08:41:29 AM »

A few weeks ago Gulfstream Park announced they would be able to make the opening date, January 4th, but only one level of the grandstand would be complete/available.  The capacity would only be 8,000.  They would work on the rest of the facility, while the lower level was open. 

Now, the rumor is, in the local paper, that they may not make it in time for opening day.  They may run the races without any betting taking place.  The betting would take place from Calder Race Course and the races would be run at Gulfstream.  (This has never happened before,  when Gulfstream runs, Calder is closed.  Plus, there has always been friction between Calder and Gulfstream.)

What a Joke!  They should have never run at Gulfstream last year and should have concentrated on completing the facility (they should have just run their meet at Calder). 

It was terrible at Gulfstream last year.  Not enough bathrooms.  All the bathrooms were portable bathrooms.  Not enough places to bet.  Couldn't see the races.  Horrible setup.  The worst I have ever seen it, at a race track.  Hawthorne was heaven compared to that setup.

So, for this year, in my opinion, they should run the whole meet at Calder (races and betting).  Finish up the entire rebuilding before even trying to open.

Report to moderator   Logged
nwaryas

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 09:46:07 AM »

They did get some damage when Hurricane Wilma hit Florida.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 10:09:31 AM »

The two tracks just signed a deal to be always open and simulcasting each others' races as well as others. How convenient for this situation.

The card room is also moving to Gulfstream permanently. A new era of cooperation in South Florida.
big wally

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 10:32:49 AM »

Gulfstreams first book is up on their website. Purses seem rather low. I am guessing they see problems getting the track ready and low if any on track handle.
John Frank

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 08:56:58 PM »

WHO GIVES A SHIT. I want it every time it rains in that shithole: TO RAIN JELLYFISH. I'd love to watch the news and see all bettors outside screaming in agony. MAKE MY DAY!
BillM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 08:47:23 AM »

Hurricane Wilma did very little damage to Gulfstream.  They lost a few days of work, because of no electricity.  Wilma did more damage to Calder (destroyed their tote board, significant damage to the barns.  So, Wilma is not the real reason they are not ready. 

In the local paper it stated, that workouts and training are taking place at Gulfstream, in the morning, but it is noisy.  A steel plate dropped, making a loud noise, resulting in a horse throwing a jockey.  There has been more than one occurance of that.

When Arlington rebuilt there track because of the fire, they didn't try to run the meet, while building the new structure.  If memory serves me right, I think they ran their meet at Hawthorne and the Arlington Million was run at Woodbine?

Why did they rebuild Gulfstream anyways?  It was old, but great.  $3 admission with various types of entertainment being offered.  Sure, it will be the nicest track in the nation, but it will also cost the most to go to and enjoy.  (many fancy restaurants and shops)

Which brings up an interesting question.  If Arlington Park had not had the fire, would have they (by now), rebuilt the facility, anyways?
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 07:52:12 PM »

Which brings up an interesting question.  If Arlington Park had not had the fire, would have they (by now), rebuilt the facility, anyways?

No, the fire was quite fortunate. Insurance money, help from the state, an Eclipse Award, and a nice, new facility arose from the ashes. With the horse racing market being what it turned out to be, no new facility would have gone there otherwise.  Chicago tracks have sure been fire prone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: