Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 20, 2014, 09:49:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is this horse?  (Read 970 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: December 11, 2005, 01:18:39 AM »

Says she was a racer before:

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/sections.cgi?prcss=display&id=268108

Posted online: December 10, 2005 11:54 PM
Print publication date: December 11, 2005

Christmas walk fixture Bully the horse retires
By Amy Thon, athon@qconline.com

GENESEO -- Bully has never missed a year of Geneseo's Victorian Christmas Walk, but Saturday night, her 20th year, was her last.

As the city celebrated the 20th anniversary of the event, Bullet, nicknamed Bully, gave her last carriage rides around the streets of Geneseo. Her owner, Melody Clementz has decided to retire Bully from the hard work and will only use her now for shorter jobs, like weddings.

"I think it's her turn to retire. She's in fabulous condition. I hope to have her for many more years to come," Mrs. Clementz said of the brown Standardbred mare. "I'll probably look back when she's 45 and think why did I retire her?"

Another horse, Sugar, will be with Mrs. Clementz next year giving rides, but Bully can't be replaced, she said.

"That's going to be the hardest part," she said. "I know her so well. I trust her. We know each other."

Mrs. Clementz wasn't complaining about the snowy, 20-degree weather Saturday night. She's seen worse nights over the years.

"I remember our first Victorian walk. There were only two of us giving rides that night," she said. "It was 8 degrees when we started, and 8 below when we finished."

Another night, the walk ended early thanks to a blizzard.

"As I looked down the boulevard toward downtown, a blizzard came sweeping through and the street just seemed to disappear," Mrs. Clementz said. "The drive home took forever because we couldn't see the road at all. I was so thankful and relieved when we pulled into the barnyard."

Bully is 24 years old, and worked as a racehorse before Mrs. Clementz got her in 1984. She had a hairline fracture and needed some rest. So she was offered free to a good home by her owner.

Mrs. Clementz said when she walked into the barn, there were four horses with their heads hanging out of the stalls. "The gentleman asked me which one I thought (Bully) was. I pointed to the fourth one and said 'I hope it's that one' and it was," she said.

Bully has become a pro at the carriage rides. She even stops and looks both ways at the stop signs, Mrs. Clementz said.

Saturday's walk featured fireworks and 20 lighted trees to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

Mayor Pat Eberhardt said the walk is a great family tradition. He remembers attending the first walk pushing his son Nick in a stroller through the snow. Nick is now 21 years old and a student at Southern Illinois University, Mayor Eberhardt said.

"It's a great event for the whole city to participate in at Christmas time," he said.
Report to moderator   Logged
trotter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 02:49:02 AM »

I have never heard of her. She probably was trained, but if she raced 24 years ago....it would help to know where.
Heede

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 12:33:58 PM »

Usually it was one of Bill Sheards horses,but he has been dead for a few years.

Heede

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: