Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 02, 2014, 11:50:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are the fields in California so small?  (Read 1491 times)
Round Table

And then I saw her, coming out of the sun.

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2005, 06:30:40 PM »

Does anyone know why?
Report to moderator   Logged

They ought to return to Tampa and fix the mistake they made.
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 06:45:55 PM »

I know why -  there are not that many horses in each race!!!!!!!!  LOL
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 07:01:38 PM »

Does anyone know why?

It is one of the great horse racing mysteries.

People in California claim it is because there is a "horse shortage". But why should that be? Accepted racing economics states the higher the purses the more horses you will have, and So Cal has some of the highest purses in the entire sport. The state, at least the southern half, should be swimming in horses. But oh! they say. The cost of doing business here is so high! And that it is. Day rates there are very high. The cost of Workmen's Comp is very high. But still, high purses should be attracting scads of horses. That's the theory. Then they come up with another excuse. Well, the state is "isolated". There aren't very many other tracks to draw from, like there are on the East Coast. That's right, there aren't, but those high ... purses ... must ... attract ... horses ... it is ... gospel. Horses from thousands of miles around should be breaking down the backside doors to get in there and run for those purses. If the theory about high purses is good.

Here's my theory. They are sissies out there who won't run unless it is a five horse race and they are assured picking up some check or another. So they duck, and scratch, and hem, and haw, and the racing just sucks as far as betting. But they get a check!
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 02:10:30 AM »

One problem I have heard a number of times is that there are so many horses trained by so few trainers. Because of that they do not want to run one owners good horses against one of their other owners good horses, therefore short fields especially in the higher allownace and stake races.

I did however, just read an article in Bloodhorse in which a number of trainers went to the Ca. Racing Board to complain about ALL the track surfaces in Ca. and the large percentage of breakdowns in the state. Most of the trainers said this was the cause for the short fields, that many of their owners will not run in Ca. especially on the dirt. Keep in mind this is at a meeting where the trainers are asking for the new Polytrack surface to be installed at all Ca. tracks, and the tracks all saying they are looking into it but need to check the costs for installation. Maybe they are looking for help from the state in covering some of those costs??? Check out the full article in last weeks Bloodhorse.
Stat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 03:04:40 AM »

Another theory: The cost of real estate is so high that it dissuades land barons from owning horse farms.  Much more money to be made by converting to condos.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: